TTC CLRV/ALRV updates and discussion

28 minutes ago, smallspy said:

Because I'm not an idiot. Halton County's trackwork is built to TTC specs, right down to the turning loops.

Dan

I have spoken to several operators and mechanics there and they have said that it is very unlikely that 4204 will run. I they do then it’s my mistake and I will admit that. 

4 minutes ago, TTC Guy said:

I have spoken to several operators and mechanics there and they have said that it is very unlikely that the will run. I they do then it’s my mistake and I will admit that. 

Did they say it wouldn’t run specifically because of the loop or just in general? I wouldn’t have a hard time believing it won’t run for other mechanical reasons.

On the same note, does anyone know if 4221, 4228, 4230 or 4249 or parts from those will be going to Halton to be used on 4204 now or when future repairs are needed? 

4207 has also been brought into the carhouse at Russell 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, TTC Guy said:

I have spoken to several operators and mechanics there and they have said that it is very unlikely that 4204 will run. I they do then it’s my mistake and I will admit that. 

That doesn't have to have anything to do with track geometry.The ALRVs were, as you know, troublesome all their life. It may be simpler to just lay it up on display than to bother trying to get it to work.

That being said, perhaps we should wait for an official statement from the museum, instead of making assumptions.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, PCC Guy said:

That doesn't have to have anything to do with track geometry.The ALRVs were, as you know, troublesome all their life. It may be simpler to just lay it up on display than to bother trying to get it to work.

Exactly. An ALRV is capable of running anywhere a CLRV is, which is capable of running anywhere a PCC is, etc.

But the ability to run it? That's a different story.

1 hour ago, PCC Guy said:

That being said, perhaps we should wait for an official statement from the museum, instead of making assumptions.

Also very sage advice. Most of the people at the TTC have no connections at the museum, and have no idea about what their plans are.

Dan

• Like 8

20 hours ago, TTC Guy said:

High chances that it won’t be running, the Turning radius at Meadowvale Loop is too tight

If they got the Gloucester’s and Montrealer’s through the loop just fine when they used it. I can’t see why an ALRV would be an issue

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John Oke said:

If they got the Gloucester’s and Montrealer’s through the loop just fine when they used it. I can’t see why an ALRV would be an issue

No, the subway cars haven't gone through the loops.  It has been an eternity since I've seen the HCRR manual so I'm going off old memory plus there may have been revisions to it between then and now, but in one section there is a list of cars in it that are not to be looped and it includes the subway cars, #8, 107 etc.

Will HCRR operate the ALRV?  No idea.  On the other hand, if they try and it goes bad, a dead, conked out ALRV blocking the track interrupting streetcar service would accurately model how things went with them on the TTC for decades, so there are bonus points for authenticity to be had here.

• Like 2
  • Haha 9

16 hours ago, John Oke said:

If they got the Gloucester’s and Montrealer’s through the loop just fine when they used it.

They didn't.

10 hours ago, CLRV4094 said:

Read the thread again. They never said that it wasn't able to go around the West Loop. Just that it hadn't (yet).

There is a world of difference between the two statements.

Dan

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

According to spottings on Facebook: 4030 was scheduled for departure for the scrapheap on October 21, 2019; 4050 was spotted heading eastbound on the 401 this morning.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 6