TTC CLRV/ALRV updates and discussion

I was speaking to someone from TTC HR on the ALRV farewell trip and he said that 4001-4004 where being preserved. I was told that a few CLRV'S are going to be sent to San Francisco. They're going to keep about 7 CLRV'S for charters/special events. a few are going to be sent to the HCRY. So I think it's a surprise that 4002 and 4004 are being scrapped.

On 10/5/2019 at 10:46 AM, CLRV4002 said:

http://ttc.ca/Service_Advisories/Route_diversions/506_CIBC_Oct.jsp

Tomorrow the 506 will be split into 2 routes from 8:30 AM to 12:30 PM. If anyone wants CLRV photos in Spadina Station, on Spadina/Spadina Cres., or on Dundas crossing the valley, tomorrow might be your last or one of your last sure opportunities to do so. Enjoy 

Thanks for the tip. Most runs were signed either Short Turn or Not in Service into the station although there was at least one that was signed 506 Spadina. BTW the last car to go into Spadina was 4176 (not pictured). 

IMG_20191006_103216-01~2.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

34 minutes ago, JWC said:

4001 is in the back of Russell Yard with its pole down. Maybe this one is to be kept or sent Halton Railway Museum. 4030 is in front of it pole down as well.

Both of those cars have particpated in Beaches Easter Parades. 4001 as far as I know will likely be preserved 

4051 pushed 4011 into the workshop this evening. I didn't see 4011 missing any parts, but the fact that it couldn't move under its own power is concerning.

4002 is back at Russell, parked on one of the dead tracks behind 4079. Perhaps one of the last times she will be together with sisters 4001 and 4003 before they feast on her bones.. err, parts.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Why San Francisco? Has MUNI expressed any interest in any of our CLRVs?

I know that they have a big historical collection over there, but the majority of those cars were PCCs, which San Francisco had previous experience with. Doesn't mean they'll be interested in picking up every derelict tram fleet on the continent.

Anecdotally, I've heard that they were not terribly pleased with the third hand A14 cars they acquired in the 1970s, and have no interest in further ex-TTC equipment as a result. However, I did not hear that from Adam, so it's possible that that's foamer rumour and innuendo.

• Like 4

No offence, but I don't exactly think that TTC HR is a prime source for things going on fleet wise, as that's not their area of focus. People much closer to the operational side of things have made various claims about individual series of Orion VIIs retiring, and, going further back, about the H5s being moved down to the BD line in 2010ish to replace the H4s.

I acknowledge that there's the possibility of some heritage operation somewhere picking up a CLRV (like a trolley museum), but I don't know why it would be San Francisco. All of the cars they picked up second hand so many years ago weren't actually a departure from what they had known from the decades before, and after 70 odd years of a tradition I would hope they have built up a significant parts supply and pool of knowledgeable workers. Acquiring CLRVs would require them to train personnel and create a parts inventory for a whole new group of cars, and one that would presumably be much smaller than their PCC collection. And to what end? Are the CLRVs anywhere close to being as much of a tourist attraction as a group of PCCs, all painted up to represent the liveries of various operators, are? Would they pay for themselves and justify the expense? I don't have the answer to these questions, but I'm skeptical.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, PCC Guy said:

No offence, but I don't exactly think that TTC HR is a prime source for things going on fleet wise, as that's not their area of focus. People much closer to the operational side of things have made various claims about individual series of Orion VIIs retiring, and, going further back, about the H5s being moved down to the BD line in 2010ish to replace the H4s.

I acknowledge that there's the possibility of some heritage operation somewhere picking up a CLRV (like a trolley museum), but I don't know why it would be San Francisco. All of the cars they picked up second hand so many years ago weren't actually a departure from what they had known from the decades before, and after 70 odd years of a tradition I would hope they have built up a significant parts supply and pool of knowledgeable workers. Acquiring CLRVs would require them to train personnel and create a parts inventory for a whole new group of cars, and one that would presumably be much smaller than their PCC collection. And to what end? Are the CLRVs anywhere close to being as much of a tourist attraction as a group of PCCs, all painted up to represent the liveries of various operators, are? Would they pay for themselves and justify the expense? I don't have the answer to these questions, but I'm skeptical.

They didn't want to keep a hometown Boeing car so I don't think they'd want a CLRV of similar vintage. Apparently the focus is on pre-1954 cars for the historic fleet.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, CLRV4002 said:

https://beta.cp24.com/news/2019/10/8/1_4629942.html

Someone got hit getting off a streetcar near Bay and College today. I saw it on the news and didn’t need to look for a number since the paint job gave it away. She was getting off 4178 on its first day on the 506. 

Suburban councillors will claim 4178's paint job amounts to disruptive pattern material and so drivers can't see the car somehow.

47 minutes ago, dowlingm said:

Suburban councillors will claim 4178's paint job amounts to disruptive pattern material and so drivers can't see the car somehow.

I the middle of the night it makes sense because the back is black but in the middle of the day that makes no sense drivers can't see the big black thing in the middle of street, that makes no sense