TTC CLRV/ALRV updates and discussion

4024 4052 4068 4079 are the newest additions to Hillcrest. Not sure about anything 4169 and above, as transsee is not working on my computer.

Also does anybody know what is going on with 4121? Last reported new data on July 17 inside Russell.

• Thanks 2

38 minutes ago, christine said:

Just saw 4051 towing 4004 heading west on Queen. Transsee is showing it turning north onto Bathurst, heading towards Hillcrest.

IMG_20190731_131525~2.jpg

That's a shame.  4004 was a real workhorse through the last winter.  Thank you for posting the picture.

The picture's prompted me to ask a question I've wondered about for a long time but never asked.  When two CLRV cars are hooked up with the drawbars, is the distance between cars the same as when two of them were coupled up with the couplers?

Whichever one this is got hauled away. It was posted recently and the ad on it is for a movie which came out last week. Considering this was posted on July 17 while it still had a relevant ad on it would indicate it was perhaps a quick retirement. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CLRV4002 said:

Whichever one this is got hauled away. It was posted recently and the ad on it is for a movie which came out last week. Considering this was posted on July 17 while it still had a relevant ad on it would indicate it was perhaps a quick retirement. 

It might be 4198. Just a hunch

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Blake M said:

Quick question: im in the city for a week, which lines are these cars running on? I've found them on the 506, which other ones?

501(only from Humber Loop to Long Branch), 511

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Wayside Observer said:

The picture's prompted me to ask a question I've wondered about for a long time but never asked.  When two CLRV cars are hooked up with the drawbars, is the distance between cars the same as when two of them were coupled up with the couplers?

I don't have measurements handy, but no - the drawbars space the cars out quite a bit more than the couplers did. I think that there was only a gap of 18 inches or 2 feet between the anticlimbers when coupled. A drawbar, on the other hand, is something close to 4 feet long.

Dan

8 minutes ago, smallspy said:

I don't have measurements handy, but no - the drawbars space the cars out quite a bit more than the couplers did. I think that there was only a gap of 18 inches or 2 feet between the anticlimbers when coupled. A drawbar, on the other hand, is something close to 4 feet long.

The drawbars are attached to the anticlimbers. When the streetcars go around curves,  their ends will pivot out. The drawbars need to be at least some minimum length to keep the anticlibers from touching.

The couplers were pivoted from somewhere under the body. My visualization (may not be accurate!) is that the geometry of the couplers was better for tight curves.

17 minutes ago, smallspy said:

Dan

That's what I thought.  The drawbars are lengthy.  I managed to find a video that I saw a long time ago showing two CLRVs running MU towards Roncesvalles.  Obviously a dead car being run in since they never ran MU here because the Queen trains were discontinued after the order was placed and the cars specified but before they were delivered.

Early 1980s TTC.  MU CLRV movement at 2:33.

That's definitely much less distance between the two streetcars than there is with the anticlimbers.

5 minutes ago, Ed T. said:

The drawbars are attached to the anticlimbers. When the streetcars go around curves,  their ends will pivot out. The drawbars need to be at least some minimum length to keep the anticlibers from touching.

The couplers were pivoted from somewhere under the body. My visualization (may not be accurate!) is that the geometry of the couplers was better for tight curves.

Yes and no.  It doesn't matter where the anchor points of either drawbars mounted on anticlimbers or couplers mounted elsewhere, adequate length needs be provided so that the car ends don't bash into eachother on the tightest radius curves you have.

This morning I saw 4057 and 4069 on Lakeshore.

You know you're home when you see CLRVs.  And condos as far as the eye can see.  And Starbucks on every corner.  And someone vomiting on the sidewalk at the Go bus terminal at 7:54 in the morning.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Ed T. said:

That's correct. And with a minimum radius of about 36 feet on the Toronto system, and the overhang on curves of that tightness, that means that the drawbars need to be a pretty good length to prevent contact.

The couplers were fixed to a structural bulkhead underneath the floor of the cars - the forward edge of the steps are also braced off of the front one - but their pivot point was about 9 inches forward of their mounting location. Still well under the front and back ends of the cars.

Dan

17 minutes ago, Genius101 said:

You can also catch them in service on 501 between Humber and Greenwood/Connaught westbound in the early morning and eastbound in the late evening. 

That's tough because early in the morning can be too early and late in the evening's a major problem for the large portion of the membership that still has a bedtime enforced by their parents.

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, Genius101 said:

You can also catch them in service on 501 between Humber and Greenwood/Connaught westbound in the early morning and eastbound in the late evening. 

The TTC's website has a schedule for the 501 that actually shows some of the trips to/from Long Branch which could be used with CLRV's. I can confirm with certainty that on weekdays an eastbound car to Connaught (which is always a CLRV) will appear at Spadina and Queen around 7:30pm.

The July 3rd schedule also shows:

Westbound Long Branch trips leaving Greenwood Ave:
Weekdays: 7:37pm, 8:04pm
Saturdays: 7:19pm, 7:48pm
Sunday: 6:56pm, 7:12pm, 7:31pm, 7:41pm, 7:53pm, 7:56pm, 8:00pm

Eastbound Connaught/Neville trips from Long Branch Loop:
Weekdays: 6:31pm (confirmed)
Saturdays: 7:32pm
Sundays: 6:02pm

2 hours ago, christine said:

The TTC's website has a schedule for the 501 that actually shows some of the trips to/from Long Branch which could be used with CLRV's. I can confirm with certainty that on weekdays an eastbound car to Connaught (which is always a CLRV) will appear at Spadina and Queen around 7:30pm.

Sundays

During the daytime on weekdays there are 7 CLRVs used on 501L. One of them always returns to Russell at the tail end of the PM rush and that is indeed the 6:31pm trip from Long Branch which you can catch at Queen and Roncesvalles just after 7pm.

2 hours ago, christine said:

2E68682E-B07E-4E9D-9A95-C3F52ABBC39A.png

5 hours ago, CLRV4002 said:

4207 at Roncy 

I have visual confirmation that it's still sitting at Roncy as of 8:20pm.

On 8/1/2019 at 4:00 PM, christine said:

I can also now confirm the Sunday 6:02pm run is real. The listed evening westbound runs don't exist despite appearing on the schedule.

• Like 4

4011 back at Russell.

4010, 4068, 4079, 4121, 4145, 4146, 4185 and 4195 have stopped tracking. July 18 on 506, July 25 on 501, July 23 on 506, July 16 on 501, August 1 on 306, July 23 on 506, July 16 on 306 and August 2 on 506. These were the last days and routes for these cars respectively.

As for the ALRV, 4221 and 4228 have also stopped tracking.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1