TTC CLRV/ALRV updates and discussion

47 minutes ago, nfitz said:

Were they? One is now parked at Russell, and the other is at Leslie. If they were in service, neither lasted long. And all those 506s that were tracking parked at Russell now vanished except for 4135 and 4160 that have been parked at Russell since yesterday.

If Nextbus is correct then there's only 10 buses in service on 506 and another two on 306(!) right now and nothing else! Hopefully there's more buses out there somewhere ...

Looks like they both just did a trip from Parliament to Main and then down to Lower Gerrard. Both cars are now at Russell.

4176.png

4187.png

11 hours ago, Shemar said:

Some buses just might not be signed into the 506 and that is sometimes the case.

Based on the half-hour I walked along Gerrard around 7 pm, waiting for a bus, and only seeing a single bus heading the opposite away (on the tracker), and then the only other bus I passed when one finally came also on the tracker ... there was nothing out there I saw that wasn't on the tracker. Peak must have been ugly - even the one I finally caught at Greenwood was at capacity when I boarded.

29 minutes ago, nfitz said:

Based on the half-hour I walked along Gerrard around 7 pm, waiting for a bus, and only seeing a single bus heading the opposite away (on the tracker), and then the only other bus I passed when one finally came also on the tracker ... there was nothing out there I saw that wasn't on the tracker. Peak must have been ugly - even the one I finally caught at Greenwood was at capacity when I boarded.

It didn't look like they had the vehicles ready. I guess widely spread buses is better than having a CLRV froze on route. They should just tell everyone to take a bus to Line 2 instead.

1 hour ago, PCC Guy said:

Order has been restored, the CLRVs have returned to service today. And so has 4091, on the 506 today.

On 506. Looks like more buses than streetcars out on 501. And no CLRVs or ALRVs.

But with temperatures heading back to normal, hopefully everything back soon.

6 hours ago, nfitz said:

On 506. Looks like more buses than streetcars out on 501. And no CLRVs or ALRVs.

But with temperatures heading back to normal, hopefully everything back soon.

Looks like a few CLRVs are out on the 501 now, still mixed in with Flexities and buses. We're slowly getting there...

4029 is out on the 506, and 4067 and 4125 were deadheaded from Hillcrest to Russell.

5 hours ago, PCC Guy said:

Looks like a few CLRVs are out on the 501 now, still mixed in with Flexities and buses. We're slowly getting there...

4029 is out on the 506, and 4067 and 4125 were deadheaded from Hillcrest to Russell.

Saw 6 eastbound bus, 5 Flexity west of Spadina and 5 Flexity, 4 CLRV and 3 buses going west. Gaps up to 10 minutes going both way, with convoy up to 3 at various time.

A question begs to be asked... When they ran almost 100% Flexity on Monday on 501 Queen, did they have enough Flexity's for the other routes that already use them regularly?

If so, why aren't we seeing more use of Flexity vehicles on 501 during normal weather?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MK78 said:

A question begs to be asked... When they ran almost 100% Flexity on Monday on 501 Queen, did they have enough Flexity's for the other routes that already use them regularly?

If so, why aren't we seeing more use of Flexity vehicles on 501 during normal weather?

506 was all buses so it used no streetcars so that saved them a few

9 hours ago, MK78 said:

I think they stole a few from other routes like King and Spadina.

10 hours ago, MK78 said:

It does feel like they should have 10 available for Queen every weekday instead of the 5 they have been regularly putting out there.

Assuming 122 cars accepted for service you have 80 for the 504/509/510/512 peak requirements, 20% maintenance spares (24), 4 cars on long term disability, and 4 training cars, which should leave 10. The maintenance ratio can't be that high on brand new vehicles can it?

1 hour ago, WoodbineSecondExit said:

It does feel like they should have 10 available for Queen every weekday instead of the 5 they have been regularly putting out there.

Assuming 122 cars accepted for service you have 80 for the 504/509/510/512 peak requirements, 20% maintenance spares (24), 4 cars on long term disability, and 4 training cars, which should leave 10. The maintenance ratio can't be that high on brand new vehicles can it?

Would cars in for inspections etc be included in the spares or taken out of the 10? I'm thinking of the Standard inspections that take all day to complete, which require the cars to be ready first thing, so they wouldn't go out in the morning. They might do one or two each day but those cars would be unavailable for the whole day. There are also cars scheduled for interior washes from top to bottom which takes them out for the day. 

14 hours ago, MK78 said:

TTC had 100 cars on the road on Monday

3 hours ago, Robert Lubinski said:

Would cars in for inspections etc be included in the spares or taken out of the 10? I'm thinking of the Standard inspections that take all day to complete, which require the cars to be ready first thing, so they wouldn't go out in the morning. They might do one or two each day but those cars would be unavailable for the whole day. There are also cars scheduled for interior washes from top to bottom which takes them out for the day. 

That I don't know but the target maintenance spares ratio seems to be 18%.

Next week is shaping up to be another bad week for the old streetcars. Flexity's might be running on 506 again this weekend.

3 hours ago, Wayside Observer said:

I saw 4023 on Lakeshore about to head into the underpass to Humber Loop with "Not In Service" on the sign running empty. No chase car or service truck though.  I couldn't tell why it was taken out of service.

The car had a minor issue earlier in the day that was attended to by the service truck this morning. Whether or not the car will be out all day, only the trackers will show

It's interesting to see that when you search for any CLRVs or ALRVs in service, they're (almost) always found only on Queen and Carlton. The new cars cover Spadina, Harbourfront, King, and St. Clair. As far as I've heard, when Bathurst reopens, it will probably be all LFLRV as well. So the only carlines that we may expect to still see CLRVs on (forget ALRVs) would be Dundas and the Kingston Road pair.

Anyone know what was the first day when there were more LFLRVs in service than CLRV/ALRVs?

Also it seems to me that Kingston Road is the only mainline section that does not have upgraded overhead, along with a good section of Coxwell (including the lower Gerrard overhead).

On ‎1‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 10:50 AM, Ed T. said:

Anyone know what was the first day when there were more LFLRVs in service than CLRV/ALRVs?

Well, we remember the day last week when the TTC pulled all CLRVs/ALRVs from service due to the polar vortex and replaced them with buses - without withdrawing any Flexity's, thus unknowingly making the entire surface network accessible for a day (sadly this hardly made any headlines...)

• Like 1