TTC CLRV/ALRV updates and discussion

8 minutes ago, Wayside Observer said:

As for Seashore wanting a CLRV.  Did I not mention that the specific idea of getting one of the cars that ran in Boston was old information from before when one of my best friends died?  I'm talking about a tentative plan being discussed about 2005-2006ish when the subject came up because the TTC had begun to seriously pursue replacing the existing fleet which was in better shape across the board then than now.  Times change and plans change with them.  Like I already mentioned, I can't speak for what any of their current plans are because I fell out of touch with the place after my friend passed.

I didn't intend to trivialize your loss or cast doubt upon your information in any way, and if my post came across that way, I apologize.

It's alright, sorry for being a bit sensitive about it, this is one of those losses that still stings even after quite a bit of time.

Really, the biggest issue right out of the gate is the truck gauge.  That's going to be an issue with anycars going south of the border.  At least we know the outboard bearing UTDC trucks can be converted to standard gauge from the initial testing on the Orbe-Chavornay railway in Switzerland with the SIG cars and the three that were lent to the MBTA.  I don't know if those trucks can be widened out and if so, by how much, since the CLRVs were never demonstrated on PAT or SEPTA and I don't know if Pennsylvania broad gauge was a design consideration when UTDC designed the cars and had other potential customers in mind.

• Like 1

Transsee says that there are seven ALRVs out (on a cold morning yet!).

I don't know how often we'll see sequential fleet numbers in service in the future. Presumably 4225 and 4226 could meet this morning, presuming they both stay in service.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Wayside Observer said:

Assuming no more serious Bombardier surprises the CLRV fleet has about a year, maybe a year and a bit left to go and it doesn't sound like the ALRV fleet's got much time at all so despite the apparent plentifulness of streetcars, now is the time to start thinking about eventual preservation of a couple and making plans.

The CLRVs will still be around for a couple of years at the least. According to the latest ridership projections, the Flexities on order aren't even going to get the TTC through the projected ridership growth through the end of 2019. There is a serious need for the 60 additional cars ASAP, and even those will only take them through 2023 or so. The current plan is for the last of the CLRVs to be retired in 2021, but I can't see that happening if they want to avoid continuing to bustitute lines.

As for the ALRVs, on the other hand - the CEO's latest report (https://www.ttc.ca/PDF/About_the_TTC/CEO_Report/CEO_Report_November_2018_Update.pdf) budgets for the last 7 to last until 2020. Judging from their reliability, however, I think that frankly we will all be surprised to see that happen.

21 hours ago, Wayside Observer said:

Adam Giambrone said that the TTC would preserve "more than just two" back when the low floor fleet was ordered but that was a number of years, several commissions, a couple of mayors, and a sex scandal ago so I'm under no illusion that that's still the plan.  There's probably a couple of railway museums that would want a couple of cars.  HCRR comes to mind first and foremost and I know years ago, Seashore in Maine had aspirations of acquiring at least one of the cars that had been lent to the MBTA but I've been pretty well out of touch there since one of my friends there passed away so I don't know what any current thoughts on obtaining a CLRV are.  I'm almost feeling nostalgic for the days when trolley museums complained about how hard maintaining PCC cars were because of the complexity of the control system on those cars.  Especially when the complaints were being made about Westinghouse cars, never mind GEs!

Unfortunately I don't know what the TTC's plans for preservation are (although there are certainly people inside The Commission that are going to do everything in their power to make it happen), but there is currently a lineup of operations across the continent that are waiting to receive CLRVs. And you can count on HCRY to be at the head of that list. To the best of my knowledge Seashore is still quite high up that list as well, regardless of the state of the remaining "Boston" car.

Dan

• Like 2

Weekly fleet status update:

4040, 4096, 4148, 4157 and 4181 at Hillcrest (last in service Nov 29, last night, Dec 4, Nov 23, and Dec 4 respectively)

4145 is back at Russell, no service yet

4165 is MIA, last seen Nov 20

4240 is at Hillcrest

On ‎12‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 9:06 AM, smallspy said:

The CLRVs will still be around for a couple of years at the least. According to the latest ridership projections, the Flexities on order aren't even going to get the TTC through the projected ridership growth through the end of 2019. There is a serious need for the 60 additional cars ASAP, and even those will only take them through 2023 or so. The current plan is for the last of the CLRVs to be retired in 2021, but I can't see that happening if they want to avoid continuing to bustitute lines.

As for the ALRVs, on the other hand - the CEO's latest report (https://www.ttc.ca/PDF/About_the_TTC/CEO_Report/CEO_Report_November_2018_Update.pdf) budgets for the last 7 to last until 2020. Judging from their reliability, however, I think that frankly we will all be surprised to see that happen.

Unfortunately I don't know what the TTC's plans for preservation are (although there are certainly people inside The Commission that are going to do everything in their power to make it happen), but there is currently a lineup of operations across the continent that are waiting to receive CLRVs. And you can count on HCRY to be at the head of that list. To the best of my knowledge Seashore is still quite high up that list as well, regardless of the state of the remaining "Boston" car.

Dan

Besides Seashore and HCRR, who else is interested in a CLRV?

21 hours ago, Tom1122 said:

Besides Seashore and HCRR, who else is interested in a CLRV?

Reportedly, a lot of different outfits. A bunch of them you should be able to figure out without much effort. One of them, if things hold true, surprised me with their interest.

And no, I'm not going to post a list here, at least not yet. It's not fair to those working behind the scenes to have their work jeopardized.

Dan

• Like 2

14 hours ago, TTC 9701 said:

Curious here. Are they eyeing the ALRV's as well?

ALRV's have been part of the discussion,  yes, with the obvious caveat that it is unlikely that they will be in any condition to be able to be used with any sort of regularity.

Dan

According to Steve Munro, next board period there will be only five ALRVs scheduled, as AM and PM trippers on 501.

All base service will be designated for CLRVs. Low floor cars will be used on weekday runs as available.
Five ALRVs will be scheduled as trippers in the AM and PM peaks partially restoring former Lake Shore trips to/from downtown.
AM Peak:
  • Long Branch to Russell Carhouse: Three trips arriving at Yonge Street at about 8:30, 8:40 and 8:50 am.
  • Russell Carhouse to Sunnyside Loop: Two trips arriving at Yonge Street at about 8:35 and 8:45 am.
PM Peak:
  • Sunnyside Loop to Neville Park: Two trips leaving Yonge Street at about 5:05 and 5:15 pm.
  • Russell Carhouse to Long Branch: Three trips leaving from Yonge St. at about 5:05, 5:15 and 5:25 pm.

I wonder:

Will the trippers be ALRVs or CLRVs when they show up?

Will they show up at all? (I have unfond memories of waiting for 508 cars that never came.)

Per a post on Facebook dated December 11, 4126 and 4177 are stripped in the deadline at Russell, so I have marked them both as retired.

4221 hasn't run since December 8 - this marks its first longer absence since it came back from refurbishment. Well, it did better than 4207 at least...

4040 is on the 506

4148 is on the 501L

4048 has been out of service since December 4. Its last trip on TransSee is indicated as being on the 905 - perhaps the TRUMP was removed and sent up to Eglinton? This'll be a unit to look out for

4081 is MIA since November 29

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

In this photo it looks like 4096 has lost half of its front doors, so it's likely retired. Some digging through the aforementioned FB group reveals that 4247 has been retired as well.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TTC T6H-5307N 2252 said:

4200 is also in the picture 

Yeah, but we can't tell from the photo if it has been stripped or not. Certainly, this wouldn't be the first refurbished ALRV that has been missing for a ridiculous length of time.