TTC CLRV/ALRV updates and discussion

Well this is different. Nextbus is showing that ALRV 4249 was in service for a couple of hours on 506 today, from about noon to 2 pm including a visit to the loop at High Park. Currently still logged in as 506 but on Queen West near John.  Not sure if that's real or not ...

I'm sure it's happened, but I can't recall seeing an in-service ALRV on 506 in the 15 or so years I've lived near Gerrard Street (though lots of detouring 501s on lower Gerrard).

2 minutes ago, nfitz said:

Well this is different. Nextbus is showing that ALRV 4249 was in service for a couple of hours on 506 today, from about noon to 2 pm including a visit to the loop at High Park. Currently still logged in as 506 but on Queen West near John.  Not sure if that's real or not ...

I'm sure it's happened, but I can't recall seeing an in-service ALRV on 506 in the 15 or so years I've lived near Gerrard Street (though lots of detouring 501s on lower Gerrard).

I saw random ALRV streetcars showing up on 505 and 506 during 2017. Not too many but a few. I think this was during Queen street construction.

4 hours ago, WoodbineSecondExit said:

I saw random ALRV streetcars showing up on 505 and 506 during 2017. Not too many but a few. I think this was during Queen street construction.

Yup, there was definitely a time during the summer of 2017 when some ALRVs were deployed onto the 505 and 506 during the Queen Street construction. I distinctly recall my first and only time ever operating 4212 was as a 505 on one particular day..

46 minutes ago, TTCOpITM said:

Yup, there was definitely a time during the summer of 2017 when some ALRVs were deployed onto the 505 and 506 during the Queen Street construction. I distinctly recall my first and only time ever operating 4212 was as a 505 on one particular day..

Looking back at my posts from last year I have the following

Friday April 7, unknown ALRV on College (I wasn't close enough to get a good look it might not have been in service)

Sunday May 28, 4212 4217 4226 on 505

Sunday June 25, 4200 and 4209 on 506

Saturday July 8, 4246 on 506

1 hour ago, WoodbineSecondExit said:

Looking back at my posts from last year I have the following

Friday April 7, unknown ALRV on College (I wasn't close enough to get a good look it might not have been in service)

Sunday May 28, 4212 4217 4226 on 505

Sunday June 25, 4200 and 4209 on 506

Saturday July 8, 4246 on 506

And 4246 did 506 on Friday December 1 

13 hours ago, nfitz said:

I'm pretty sure I've seen ALRV trippers on 506 some time in the early 2000s. Seen while walking through Allan Gardens.

5 hours ago, dowlingm said:

I feel like the 501 is the best place for the ALRVs until they are scrapped, even if it means delayed route designation as accessible, to keep things nice and gentle for them (and generally close to a yard - maybe restrict to Humber Loop runs :D )

I only saw 2 ALRV on 501 Thursday on a trip from Long Branch Loop to Broadview.

I'm not sure the 501 could be considered a very gentle route for cars to end their lives on. Maybe the 502/503? Also close to a yard, but shorter, and with far more limited service hours.

Or the 508... if that ever comes back.

On 10/13/2018 at 10:29 AM, drum118 said:

I only saw 2 ALRV on 501 Thursday on a trip from Long Branch Loop to Broadview.

I rode from Greenwood to Long Branch starting around 4:30 PM, and 4236 was actually the first car to show up. I saw 4230, as well as 4249, going the other way. I may have saw a fourth ALRV but can't recall (and wasn't looking all that hard).
ALRVs are like king penguins moving regally amongst the CRLV gentoos. ??

On 10/13/2018 at 12:36 PM, nfitz said:

They used to run up Parliament and west on Gerrard/Carleton/College back to Roncesvalles. So quite possibly.

That might have been what I was seeing. I know it was explained to me at the time on the transit-toronto mailing list, but I can't find those emails now.

4011 is reporting new GPS data again, 4021's GPS is dead, 4057, 4145 and 4177 are cached at Hillcrest, 4186 and 4192 are tracking at Leslie.

Anyone know what's going on with 4167? The car appears to have fallen through the cracks. When they were testing the VISION system they had to use real car numbers for some reason, so it, and many (retired) CLRVs and ALRVs at reporting at Arrow, all in the exact same location. Most of these are retired units so this is not an issue, but I have 4167 indicated as being active. According to the logs on TransSee it hasn't run at all since they implemented vehicle history (May 15).

13 hours ago, PCC Guy said:

4011 is reporting new GPS data again, 4021's GPS is dead, 4057, 4145 and 4177 are cached at Hillcrest, 4186 and 4192 are tracking at Leslie.

Anyone know what's going on with 4167? The car appears to have fallen through the cracks. When they were testing the VISION system they had to use real car numbers for some reason, so it, and many (retired) CLRVs and ALRVs at reporting at Arrow, all in the exact same location. Most of these are retired units so this is not an issue, but I have 4167 indicated as being active. According to the logs on TransSee it hasn't run at all since they implemented vehicle history (May 15).

Oh, so they are now expanding VISION to the streetcar fleet? Not sure if that is worth the investment on a fleet whose replacement is imminent.

It's already been established that the legacy fleet is getting VISION - bus_7246 told us a few weeks ago that 4094 is the prototype for that installation.

The tests that I'm referring to were general VISION tests - I believe it was discussed in the forum that this was the cause of ghost vehicles spawning around town. For some reason, they used the fleet numbers of a lot of long retired legacy cars for those tests (and some cars which continued to exist afterwards, like 4011), so you have long dead vehicles like 4005 and 4231 reporting relatively recent GPS data, and most of those cars are reporting out of one of the bus garages. Not sure why, but it does make looking for MIA ALRVs a right pain in the ass.