PCC Guy

TTC CLRV/ALRV retirements

The end of July and first few days of August saw more ALRVs out at the same time than for several weeks before that. It seemed like they were coming back. But, once again, they have become scarce with only one or two out for the day.

Interestingly, the ones reported out today by Transsee would be on the list of 18 holds reported by smallspy earlier.

17 hours ago, Transit geek said:

Likely not to Exhibition Loop - at least, not when there are sufficient Flexity stock to cover the services there. Haven't heard of the ALRVs being deployed on 514 though, but still a possibility.

Doubt ALRVs on 514 is a runner - not accessible

19 hours ago, Ed T. said:

Interestingly, the ones reported out today by Transsee would be on the list of 18 holds reported by smallspy earlier.

The fact that they had holds on them doesn't necessarily mean that they are permanently out of service. Rather, it means to hold them back from entering revenue service pending the correction of some fault. (Of course, pending the resolution of that fault, they may then be pulled from the revenue fleet and put into storage if it is deemed to be too significant.)

The concern however is that there were 18 (!) of the 20 still listed in revenue service with holds on them at one time. Either they all came down with issues within, quite literally, days of each other - or that the mechanical staff ran out of time fixing them and had to put them aside for "later" pending other, easier repairs, allowing the number of holds to grow until it was almost the entirety of the fleet.

In any case, this really does not bode well for their longevity. The TTC had hoped to keep them running until next summer at least. I doubt that they will make it that long.

Dan

22 hours ago, nfitz said:

4217 (for first time in 12 days) and 4249 both out overnight and today, while 4240 was out briefly yesterday for first time in 19 days.

The end is nigh though.

Other cars still tracking that saw service since June are:

4200 - last on July 31

4204 - last on Aug 1

4207 - last on Aug 3

4225 - last on Aug 3

4226 - last on Aug 2

So 10 left maybe?

4229 and 4236 are both tracking at Hillcrest they were last seen in service in July. 

On 8/12/2018 at 11:30 AM, Genius101 said:

4229 and 4236 are both tracking at Hillcrest they were last seen in service in July. 

Ah - there were 2 or 3 that did track in very early July. I'd meant to change the text to "last 3 weeks" - I'll fix that.

4229 was last seen 314 hours ago - July 31. I didn't consider that still tracking - but I guess it mightn't be dead yet.

4236 hasn't seen service in 34 days.

Just a snapshot ... but the total number of vehicles effectively remaining seems to closer to 5-10, than 18-20, which seems overstated.

2 hours ago, Andythagiant said:

4181 looks done. Missing part of its bumper and looked like it was being prepped to be stripped. Sitting beside 4202 right now.

That's a very quick turn around time! It last operated this past Saturday on the 501.

15 hours ago, PCC Guy said:

That's a very quick turn around time! It last operated this past Saturday on the 501.

Well it looks like I was wrong. 4181 looked good as new as I was coming home last night and has moved from its spot from yesterday.

• Thanks 1

On 8/13/2018 at 3:48 PM, Andythagiant said:

4181 looks done. Missing part of its bumper and looked like it was being prepped to be stripped. Sitting beside 4202 right now.

I believe you mistook it for 4182, which is indeed missing part of its skirt and is still sitting beside 4202. Had a walk through the yard today and noticed that 4218 and 4251 seemed to be missing a substantial amount of parts. I think it’s safe to say that these 2 cars will not see service again.

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, TTCOpITM said:

I believe you mistook it for 4182, which is indeed missing part of its skirt and is still sitting beside 4202. Had a walk through the yard today and noticed that 4218 and 4251 seemed to be missing a substantial amount of parts. I think it’s safe to say that these 2 cars will not see service again.

Thanks for the confirmation. On the topic of 4218 and 4251, are they the ones that are sitting in the middle of track 21 and 22? 

• Thanks 1