Cappy

Using AutoCheck to find VINs by entering a license plate

On 8/11/2019 at 9:31 AM, Thomasw said:

Does anyone know of a website that does free Canadian license plate and vin lookups?

On 8/17/2019 at 7:40 AM, TechSpotlight said:

Unfortunately, not Canadian license plates.  VINs are universal so if you search "vin reversal search" or something like that you should find plenty of sites that you can use.

It is now possible to obtain VINs from Canadian license plates using Carfax Car Care.

You will have to register an account but it's completely free. I used it to successfully grab the VINs for some newer TransLink shuttles.

Update: use sparingly or upgrade to a paid commercial account unless you want to get banned for "commercial activity" on a free account. See further down for more information

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Community Shuttle said:

It is now possible to obtain VINs from Canadian license plates using Carfax Car Care.

You will have to register an account but it's completely free. I used it to successfully grab the VINs for some newer TransLink shuttles.

Thank you very much!  I will try this out for myself.

• Like 2

UPDATE: I have tried the tool on various BC, Ontario and Saskatchewan plates with some success.  However, no AB plates I type into the tool work at all, even plates on plates that I know are still active (such as my family's vehicles.)  Strange.

4 hours ago, TechSpotlight said:

UPDATE: I have tried the tool on various BC, Ontario and Saskatchewan plates with some success.  However, no AB plates I type into the tool work at all, even plates on plates that I know are still active (such as my family's vehicles.)  Strange.

It does have its faults. For me it worked for some expired plates and ones that were on a vehicle that now has different plates; it didn't work for some that are active. I think it is dependent on shops/dealerships that record both the VIN and plate number of a vehicle in order to tie them together.

Update: only use it very sparingly; otherwise it will detect "commercial use" and effectively ban you from using the service unless you pay to upgrade to a commercial account. It's telling me to remove some of the buses I looked up but it won't actually let me do anything unless I upgrade because I was flagged as a commercial user.