On 1/22/2020 at 12:25 PM, Viafreak said:

Not sure what the point of the extension would be as trains 68 and 69 serve Port Kent, NY and Montreal which is a ferry ride from Burlington, Vermont. Burlington is a potential terminus of the Vertmonter.

The Port Kent ferry & the stop in Port Kent Ny is also closed in the winter. 

Where as the train would bring people to Vermont year round. (ski in the winter and bike in the summer ) 

Most importantly, assuming it would run on a similar schedule, it would provide a train option between Montréal and Boston.

Really not a fan of the coach colour scheme. Even if you have to have that white along the windows, why not continue or blend the lower blue stripe along the power car?

2 hours ago, dowlingm said:

Really not a fan of the coach colour scheme. Even if you have to have that white along the windows, why not continue or blend the lower blue stripe along the power car?

It will be blended in. They haven't yet finished applying the graphics to the whole trainset.

Dan

• Like 1

I notice the flat sides of the power cars do not match the contours of the following passenger cars.

19 hours ago, ghYHZ said:

I notice the flat sides of the power cars do not match the contours of the following passenger cars.

They didn't on the Acela, either.

Dan

2 hours ago, smallspy said:

They didn't on the Acela, either.

True, but the mismatch was less pronounced on the old sets. 

I read somewhere that this is because the power cars are also being used for SNCFs order for new TGVs, and the profile matches the double decks that they'll be hooked up to. Product standardization I guess...

20 hours ago, Doppelkupplung said:

I read somewhere that this is because the power cars are also being used for SNCFs order for new TGVs, and the profile matches the double decks that they'll be hooked up to. Product standardization I guess...

There are a whole host of reasons why the shape and profile of power cars doesn't match that of the cars, and while none of those reasons will appease those who's OCD/sensibilities are offended (mine included) by the mismatch, that particular reason is not one of them. The upcoming order from SNCF for new Duplexes will feature power cars that look like these ones, but they are not the same as the ones built in the US, not by a long shot.

Dan

• Thanks 1

Can’t see who is going to want the Series 6s for revenue if WSDOT don’t; which insurer is going to want to touch them given what NTSB feels about them? At least the 7s have their own cab cars instead of requiring NPCUs.

WSDOT have put them up for sale but I suspect a final use akin to the Turboliners - police/fire training or something similar.

https://www.wsdot.wa.gov/business/trainsets-sale

So is VIA's rolling stock next in line on the assembly line? I assume they are similar rolling stock.