27 minutes ago, dowlingm said:

I find it hard to believe the Heritage Baggage Cars up for sale are good for more than being parted out. Amtrak has run a few on CN track to meet axle count numbers but my sense was that they couldn't get the rest out of regular service fast enough once the ViewBags finally showed up.

I don't see VIA acquiring P42s in any state since they seem to me the locomotive class most likely to be replaced by the next gen Corridor power. The P40s - I believe they were the ones who didn't get ARRA rebuild so also doubt they are coming. Maybe CTDOT picks up a few to provide parts for their other P40s. Any F40s in decent shape probably end up somewhere perpetually in power crisis like MBTA.

I have heard Horizons don't do well in winter so I don't see VIA having any interest anyway - HEP wiring compatibility issues to start, but more importantly on railroad.net they are asserted to be long term stored wreck damaged and a glance at OnTrackOnLine makes me think that is correct. 

Essentially this feels like a bunch of stuff Amtrak held onto in the event of another stimulus rebuild, but with the Midwest order about to cascade a bunch of power and coaches plus Trump in the White House, someone decided it was time to clear out Beech Grove and Bear dead lines.

The P40s in question have been rusting outside for about 15 years. Internal parts have been removed, and some of them have had their tucks swapped out with P42s that had cracked trucks. I won't be surprised if the F40s (which have been abandoned for a similar amount of time) are shipped off to a locomotive graveyard like NRE or LTEX. The coaches being sold are all old relics in need of major work or accident victims. It would be neat to see some of this equipment preserved, however. 

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Shaun said:

Are the Acela Trainsets Married Pairs? Or do they have couplers between the cars? 

I think this is the second incident that cars have separated this year.

Glad nobody was walking between the cars at the time. 

A link to whatever the hell you’re on about would be helpful.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Shaun said:

Are the Acela Trainsets Married Pairs? Or do they have couplers between the cars? 

37 minutes ago, Bus_Medic said:

A link to whatever the hell you’re on about would be helpful.

RPI student credited with stopping runaway Amtrak rail cars

Cars separated as train raced south from Rensselaer

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Shaun said:

The Acela does not have couplers in between the cars. They are semi-permanently connected using drawbars.

The incident near Albany involved a Genesis unit hauling regular cars with conventional couplers. 

On 11/23/2018 at 12:46 PM, tomsbuspage said:

There are a couple of flaws in the Times Union story.  First, if the cars separated, I would expect the brakes would begin to engage once air pressure is lost so the student credited with saving the day probably didn't actually do anything that wasn't already happening automatically.  Second, the lady who claims the separated car had a very wrong perception of the event, the separated car could not have been accelerating if it was separating from the rest of the train.  The article on CBC has a witness account that makes more sense; a pop, a hiss, some burning followed by cold air -- coupler breaks with a pop, cars begin to separate and air line disconnects with a hiss, electrical line is arcs as it's ripped off (burning smell) and cold air once the gangway connection opens.

• Thanks 2

https://amp.businessinsider.com/amtrak-train-stuck-for-hours-without-air-conditioning-or-toilets-new-york-boston-acela-2230-2018-11

Not good few weeks for Amtrak. 

Was it not possible to send out a diesel locomotive to tow the Trainset to the closest station? 

6 hours is a bit much considering they are not in the middle of nowhere. 

Sorry I corrected the link. 

4 minutes ago, Shaun said:

https://www.rogers.com/consumer/wireless/mobile-internet-plans?ipn=1

Not good few weeks for Amtrak. 

Was it not possible to send out a diesel locomotive to tow the Trainset to the closest station? 

6 hours is a bit much considering they are not in the middle of nowhere. 

You need to get your shit together. That's a link to Roger's Wireless!!??

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

No wonder Amtrak is losing big money on long haul.  They have no idea what this will cost, the article didn't suggest what the demand for the route might be.  If I were in charge of Amtrak I'd make a deal with Via to essentially sell throughway itineraries anywhere on the Via network from Windsor and run a throughway coach to connect Amtrak in Detroit with Via in Windsor, no new tunnel, no new right of way, no new equipment Customs is handled by the contractor running the bus connection so there's very little cost to add add essentially any destination on the Quebec City - Windsor corridor.  Via wins, Amtrak wins, spend the money to fix bottlenecks in the domestic network.

I have been mulling over this since I heard about it, trying to figure why Amtrak would want back into this route. Either they want to propose a budget item they can easily cut, or there is something about how federal funding where they can get $ for this when they couldn't for Detroit-Toledo or any other domestic route without triggering state funding requirements under PRIIA.

• 3 months later...

Would be something worth writing to your local politicians and the BC Premier and Minister of Transportation to get some momentum north of the 49th for this initiative. For people in greater Vancouver who live south of the Fraser, Blaine is much closer than travelling all the way into Vancouver to board at Pacific Central Station. The former GN Depot in Blaine is walking distance from the Peace Arch border crossing and was last served by Amtrak in 1981. 

Washington group pushes for Amtrak station in Blaine

BY ALISON BAILEY

Posted Jul 18, 2019 10:49 am PDT

BLAINE (NEWS 1130) – With so many people now living south of the Fraser, there is a lot of potential for a train stop in Blaine, according to at least one group which is pushing for a new station.

All Aboard Washington would like to see an additional stop along the route between Downtown Vancouver and Eugene, Oregon.

Lloyd Flem, who’s been involved with the group for decades, points out if you’re living in Surrey or Langley, you have to backtrack to Vancouver to board the train.

“It would certainly be handier, quicker, less expensive, less of a hassle just to be able to pop across the 49th and get on at a station in Blaine,” he tells NEWS 1130. “The greatest distance between any two existing stops is the one between Bellingham, Washington and Vancouver. It’s around 60 miles.”

The group held a public meeting this past weekend to propose the idea, something Flem says will need support from Surrey and White Rock for it to potentially move forward.

Flem articulated some of the challenges that exist before any new station could be built at the meeting.

“Coming out of the meeting, though, was the fact that

“We’re still a ways away,” Flem admits. “The Washington State Department of Transportation … is rather conservative on adding more station stops, many times for good reasons. They have developed some rather rigorous criteria before a stop can be considered and developed, however, our organization and many of the citizens of Blaine feel that Blaine — probably more than any other potential station stop, everywhere between Vancouver and Eugene, Oregon — has the best potential, the best opportunity, and probably would yield the best results.”

He cites studies that have been done that have looked at the potential of a station in Blaine, and says it has been established as a good option.

-With files from Dean Recksiedler

https://www.citynews1130.com/2019/07/18/push-amtrak-station-blaine-washington/

https://www.railpictures.net/photo/703973/

showimage.php?id=703973&key=7551790

• Like 1

The last time I rode the Cascades southbound it stopped at the former station in Blaine where customs agents boarded for a quick inspection before it continued south.  Other than desire to reopen the station I don't think it would be a leap to make it a station stop.  I don't think it would make a material difference to the schedule today.

5 hours ago, dbdb said:

The last time I rode the Cascades southbound it stopped at the former station in Blaine where customs agents boarded for a quick inspection before it continued south.  Other than desire to reopen the station I don't think it would be a leap to make it a station stop.  I don't think it would make a material difference to the schedule today.

The southbound trains stop to clear customs at the Peace Arch, about 200M north of the Blaine depot.  Northbound trains clear Canadian Customs at Pacific Central Station and don't stop at the border. According to local organizers, it would take approx $600K for a complete overhaul of the station building and reconstruction of platforms to make it useable for Amtrak. As you say, adding a 2-3 min station stop won't derail the schedule.

• 1 month later...
On ‎8‎/‎31‎/‎2019 at 9:34 PM, Shaun said:

Some Nostalgia......Back in 1974 when the “Adirondack’ was inaugurated it was an Amtrak train but operated by the Delaware & Hudson Railway. CP Rail ‘Skyline’ Domes were leased and painted into D&H colours. (these Domes are still in service today on VIA Rail)

48664266658_fa4c5c1034_c.jpg

And like the ‘Ocean View’ Dome the past few years….this Dome Car was added at Albany-Rensselaer due to clearance restrictions south of there.

48664613476_65d99db1af_c.jpg

48664266688_ed5ca235be_c.jpg

48664769247_a3f2f98051_c.jpg

48664266578_78c19dd51e_c.jpg

48664613206_1cb8b23bc3_c.jpg

48664768787_222edf7712_c.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

According to this lawsuit from a company that has a plan to refurbish HHP-8 locomotives and lease them they where unreliable due to poor maintenance.

And MARC has rebuilt some units and have been able to run them in service without an issue.

So are they really unreliable? Or Amtrak made excuses to get funding for new rolling stock?

https://www.railwayage.com/regulatory/hhp-8-cannibalization-generates-lawsuit/

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...