83 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, Blue Bus Fan said:

That is good to maybe see second train coming to Montreal.

Heres a bit of History on the Train/Route 

On January 16, 2017 at 10:53 PM, Oc4526 said:

I know Sen. Leahy has been working for years to get passenger service restored between St. Albans and Montreal.  I'm glad to see that Congress has passed legislation to this effect; now Parliament needs to do the same (paging Ms. Freeland, paging Mr. Goodale, paging Dr. Garneau, paging Mr. Trudeau...).

2 people like this

2 hours ago, Blue Bus Fan said:

Major cut backs on the long distance routes could becoming to Amtrak due Trumps budget:

http://www.businessinsider.com/trump-budget-proposal-amtrak-2017-3

The Republicans in Congress have wanted to do this for a long time, and with them controlling the executive and legislative branches, this was bound to happen. Whether or not this goes through is another question, especially since the number of states Amtrak would serve under this revised plan would be cut by around half (from 46 to the low 20s). My own opinion is that although they shouldn't eliminate every Long Distance route (the auto train should stay, I think it makes money), they should look to consolidate some of the others, and perhaps shorten train lengths to save money.

What disappoints me though about this budget is that they do not seem to want to invest more in state level rail projects either (i.e. Midwest corridors, California service, etc.). In addition to this, countless proposed LRT and subway lines across the US could have all funds pulled. Cutting money from losing LD trains is one thing, but not re-directing those funds towards more profitable state-run Amtrak services or mass transit contradicts Trump's promises to improve infrastructure. Then again, why should I be surprised by politicians breaking promises? 

1 person likes this

It looks like the challenger locomotives for Amtrak California have some type of wing to decrease the drag when pulling superpowers? Is that fixed or can be raised or lowered depending on the consist?

3 hours ago, Shaun said:

It looks like the challenger locomotives for Amtrak California have some type of wing to decrease the drag when pulling superpowers? Is that fixed or can be raised or lowered depending on the consist?

It is fixed (most likely welded to the engine) and appears to be made from sheet metal.