On January 16, 2017 at 10:53 PM, Oc4526 said:

I know Sen. Leahy has been working for years to get passenger service restored between St. Albans and Montreal.  I'm glad to see that Congress has passed legislation to this effect; now Parliament needs to do the same (paging Ms. Freeland, paging Mr. Goodale, paging Dr. Garneau, paging Mr. Trudeau...).

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, Blue Bus Fan said:

Major cut backs on the long distance routes could becoming to Amtrak due Trumps budget:

http://www.businessinsider.com/trump-budget-proposal-amtrak-2017-3

The Republicans in Congress have wanted to do this for a long time, and with them controlling the executive and legislative branches, this was bound to happen. Whether or not this goes through is another question, especially since the number of states Amtrak would serve under this revised plan would be cut by around half (from 46 to the low 20s). My own opinion is that although they shouldn't eliminate every Long Distance route (the auto train should stay, I think it makes money), they should look to consolidate some of the others, and perhaps shorten train lengths to save money.

What disappoints me though about this budget is that they do not seem to want to invest more in state level rail projects either (i.e. Midwest corridors, California service, etc.). In addition to this, countless proposed LRT and subway lines across the US could have all funds pulled. Cutting money from losing LD trains is one thing, but not re-directing those funds towards more profitable state-run Amtrak services or mass transit contradicts Trump's promises to improve infrastructure. Then again, why should I be surprised by politicians breaking promises? 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Shaun said:

It looks like the challenger locomotives for Amtrak California have some type of wing to decrease the drag when pulling superpowers? Is that fixed or can be raised or lowered depending on the consist?

It is fixed (most likely welded to the engine) and appears to be made from sheet metal. 

• 1 month later...
12 hours ago, TheAverageJoe said:

Not any time soon, The Shells failed the crash test

That was well over a year ago. Since then they've produced new shells that should pass the crush test if they haven't yet. And they've also been testing and certifying all of the other systems that are to get installed in the cars.

Dan

33 minutes ago, smallspy said:

That was well over a year ago. Since then they've produced new shells that should pass the crush test if they haven't yet. And they've also been testing and certifying all of the other systems that are to get installed in the cars.

Dan

Last I heard was the new ones were over weight.

3 hours ago, smallspy said:

Dan

You're wrong. They still have not completed the redesign process, and as far as I know they have not yet started a new prototype. The federal funds which payed for the 88 cars for the Midwest expire later this year, and the current administration may not provide an extension (the 42 cars for California are state funded, so they shouldn't be affected). On a side note you're right that many other components of these cars have been tested.

This whole Nippon Sharyo thing is a disaster, and the fact that they keep laying off workers at their factory is evidence of that. I also heard a rumor on another forum that the Illinois led consortium is currently in the process of canceling the contract.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, WMATAC40LF said:

You're wrong. They still have not completed the redesign process, and as far as I know they have not yet started a new prototype.

As of February of last year, they had completed 75% of the redesign. Are you saying that in the subsequent 15 months that they haven't finished it?

Because of as of last May, they were about to start the construction of the new shells (although I haven't found any info about when the redesign had been completed, if at all). What has gone wrong since then to stop the process again?

I will agree that this whole thing has been quite the disaster, however.

Dan

1 hour ago, smallspy said:

As of February of last year, they had completed 75% of the redesign. Are you saying that in the subsequent 15 months that they haven't finished it?

Because of as of last May, they were about to start the construction of the new shells (although I haven't found any info about when the redesign had been completed, if at all). What has gone wrong since then to stop the process again?

I will agree that this whole thing has been quite the disaster, however.

Dan

As of this January, several sources seemed to indicate that the redesign process had not been completed or approved. (Here's one, quoted from Trains Magazine)

http://ccrail.com/california-is-a-no-show-state-officials-cancel-bilevel-presentation-at-conference-send-statement-instead/

In the past the NGEC committee was providing decent updates on this order, but things have gotten dark over the last 6 months. NS continues to lay off the workers at its plant (110 more earlier this month), so it certainly doesn't look like they're ready to start production anytime soon. Another source I read quoted an "industry expert" who believes a prototype wouldn't be available until 2018. 

The big thing at play because of Nippon Sharyo's slight screw up (it was just 2K lbs short of passing) is the funding. Unless its extended by the current administration, which just yesterday reiterated proposed cuts to Amtrak and rail spending, the order might be in jeopardy.

• Like 1

The TIGER funds also expire soon and I haven't seen any sign of renewal / extension.

Edit - sorry missed that this was posted above. NS just laid off another hundred people and the Midwest states are looking to close the contract. Looks like this is close to a done deal for cancellation.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dane said:

The TIGER funds also expire soon and I haven't seen any sign of renewal / extension.

Edit - sorry missed that this was posted above. NS just laid off another hundred people and the Midwest states are looking to close the contract. Looks like this is close to a done deal for cancellation.

With Trump you never know. He just changed his mind on the California High speed rail

I'm not an expert but in this case the issue with funding isn't necessarily strictly political - I think there was an actual fund spent due date or it moved (or moves) to the next ready project. The issue with these cars is they were said to be build ready when the project started which unfortunately didn't pan out. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2015-7-2 at 7:16 PM, M. Parsons said:

Not the first time. I've shot them on the Cascades years ago.

DSC03526.thumb.jpg.05c741900619f53f59376854f386fa9e.jpg

This was only my second time shooting a Cascades train in Canada and it's got a Dash 8 this time as well. Sunlight wasn't favorable for that angle so I did what I could.

DSC00453.thumb.jpg.c74c65c2d8f1bc702cc23f2ac7e38975.jpg

Sunlight was VERY favorable however on the ass end as Amtrak passed a RMR train that was waiting for Amtrak to clear.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Amtrak “Ready to Build” Campaign Highlights Critical Need for Infrastructure Investment

WASHINGTON – Amtrak unveiled the “Ready to Build” campaign today, which includes a series of short films showcasing five critical investments that are vital to the realization of a renewed, modern passenger rail system.

The campaign emphasizes needed investments at our major stations, including in Chicago Union Station, as well as in infrastructure along the busy Northeast Corridor (NEC), where the majority of Amtrak-owned assets are located. The NEC carries 260 million intercity and commuter customers each year and growing. However, demand for passenger rail service continues to outpace investment, resulting in a backlog of more than $38 billion of deferred capital investments that risks future service expansion and reliability.

“The NEC is a central artery for the greater Northeast, which generates 20 percent of U.S. gross domestic product and is one of the country’s principle economic engines,” said Amtrak co-CEO Wick Moorman. “These major projects are critical to keeping people, the economy and the nation moving forward.”

Amtrak and its state and federal partners have started the planning and regulatory reviews required for these complex, multi-year projects. Once funding is identified and obtained, Amtrak and its partners are ready to finalize design and begin construction for the following critical investments:

• Hudson Tunnel Project (New York – New Jersey): Construction of a new Hudson River rail tunnel serving New York Penn Station will provide greater operational flexibility and infrastructure resiliency, following damage from Superstorm Sandy.

• Portal North Bridge Project (New Jersey): Replacement of the century-old Portal Bridge with a new high-level, fixed-span bridge will result in faster trip times and greater reliability as well as eliminate the need to open for maritime traffic.

Major Stations Development (Northeast and Chicago): Leveraging public-private partnerships and underutilized land and air rights to transform 50+-year-old facilities into vibrant commercial transportation hubs.

Susquehanna River Bridge Project (Maryland): Replacement of existing two-track bridge with two new high-level bridges with a total of four tracks, allowing for increased speeds and eliminating the need to open for maritime traffic.

Baltimore & Potomac (B&P) Tunnel Project (Maryland): Replacement of the Civil War-era, 30 mph bottleneck with a four-tube tunnel that allows for more reliable and more frequent service.

Amtrak is the majority owner of the NEC infrastructure and its connecting corridors, the NEC is a shared trans­portation asset that runs through eight states and the District of Columbia. It is used by Amtrak, eight commuter rail partners and multiple freight operators that together run nearly 2,200 daily trains.

To view the “Ready to Build” materials, visit NEC.Amtrak.com/ReadytoBuild.

https://media.amtrak.com/2017/10/amtrak-ready-build-campaign-highlights-critical-need-infrastructure-investment/