Do you mean the 507?

I know there is two of those engines are in Amtrak California fleet.

Yes, when they came out they were in a red blue stripe scheme and became known as Pepsi-Cans.

501 and 502 were sold to Amtrak California and renumbered 2051 and 2052.

• 3 weeks later...

Look at what I saw on Amtrak Cascades train set of Mt. Adams:

19307244516_7de88770c2_o.jpg

507 by Blue Bus Fan, on Flickr

18712729193_139deeea0c_o.jpg

507 by Blue Bus Fan, on Flickr

This rare because those trains never go on the Cascades until now.

I also saw this which is that rare because some of these trains of the Cascades livery:

18712728653_d59f2db49d_o.jpg

90278 by Blue Bus Fan, on Flickr

17835339608_25a895fb1a_o.jpg

90253 by Blue Bus Fan, on Flickr

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

New Jersey Transit wanted to qualify their dual mode ALP45DP locomotives to 125mph.

Amtrak wanted to qualify the Viewliner 1 cars to 125mph too (previously, V1 trains would have had a speed limited heritage baggage or dining car so no point in bothering, but V2 baggage cars are almost fully delivered with V2 dining and sleeping cars to follow, so long distance trains on the NEC can keep pace with Regionals)

In a shocking display of common sense, NJT ALP45s are hauling 130mph Viewliner test trains!

• 1 month later...

Amtrak Michigan has brought the Talgo trainsets that where built for Hiawatha Service:

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/politics/2015/03/20/state-transport-chief-delays-amtrak-cars-purchase/25121569/

I was hoping that WSDOT would purchase these trainsets to improve services on Cascades and increase trips coming up to Vancouver B.C.

Check the date on that article. The Talgos were towed to Beech Grove maintenance yard in Indiana and have sat there since as other bidders on the tender raised objections.

The Wisconsin Talgos have some differences in car layout to the west coast one (no business car I think) so wouldn't be a drop-in addition for WSDOT, even if the various railroad capital works were completed and more timetable slots available.

• 2 months later...

U.S. Customs pre-clearance at Montreal would mean the train would make no other stops in Canada. That wouldn't really be possible for the Maple Leaf. It would work for Amtrak trains out of Vancouver, though.

There's only one (St. Lambert) but dropping that is the plan. Hopefully this happens quickly and extension of Vermonter to Montreal follows soon after... and if Bernie Sanders (former Mayor of Burlington VT) wins the presidency, maybe the Ethan Allen Express too!

What makes you think that they will offer pre-clearance for the Maple Leaf?

Dan

Would it be possible? I mean, the main difference is that there's no stops between Montreal and the border, whereas the Maple Leaf doubles as a VIA "local" too. I guess if they J-trained it, and had separate consists. Don't think it could be done just keeping a coach locked, since your still need to have inter-car access for the service cart.

A sealed train between Toronto and the Border would also eliminate the potential for passengers in say Oakville, Aldershot etc from boarding the Maple Leaf for US destinations as they would still have to be processed at the border….negating any time saving of “Pre-Clearance” in Toronto.

A sealed train between Toronto and the Border would also eliminate the potential for passengers in say Oakville, Aldershot etc from boarding the Maple Leaf for US destinations as they would still have to be processed at the border.negating any time saving of Pre-Clearance in Toronto.

Pre-clearance could be added at Oakville, Aldershot & St. Catherine's. Not the most cost effective solution but it's possible.

If Via ever decided to increase service between Toronto & Niagara Falls, many of the intermediate stops could be removed from the Maple Leaf.

So then if you live in Oakville and wanted to travel to New york you would need to travel to Union Station first? Or St Catherines? That doesn't make sense.I dont know the stats on Ridership and where people get on and off but that doesn't sound like a good idea.

A sealed train between Toronto and the Border would also eliminate the potential for passengers in say Oakville, Aldershot etc from boarding the Maple Leaf for US destinations as they would still have to be processed at the border….negating any time saving of “Pre-Clearance” in Toronto.

To ask the obvious question, how many US bound passengers actually board at the stops between Union and the border?

Also, if I'm not mistaken, part of the customs check at the border involves inspecting the train. If you J train the local and sealed portions with "post Union" passengers transferring to the sealed portion after being processed on this side of the border at Niagara Falls, you can theoretically gain time by dropping the train inspection.

So then if you live in Oakville and wanted to travel to New york you would need to travel to Union Station first? Or St Catherines? That doesn't make sense.I dont know the stats on Ridership and where people get on and off but that doesn't sound like a good idea.

You totally skipped the first half of my post.

Amtrak posts their ridership statistics by route, however anything outside Toronto and the border are not included.

There's only one (St. Lambert) but dropping that is the plan. Hopefully this happens quickly and extension of Vermonter to Montreal follows soon after... and if Bernie Sanders (former Mayor of Burlington VT) wins the presidency, maybe the Ethan Allen Express too!

And while at it, extend the Blue Water back to Toronto and maybe even the Wolverine (that would require reopening Michigan Central Station first).

And while at it, extend the Blue Water back to Toronto and maybe even the Wolverine (that would require reopening Michigan Central Station first).

And you would still be faced with the same situation that exists with the Maple Leaf today. Pre Clearance could not be done in Toronto unless you wanted to run the Blue Water and Wolverine non-stop between the Border and Toronto.. eliminating potential passengers in London and other SW Ontario cities.