Ottawa School Transportation and Charter Companies

dev161

Former Ottawa units numbered 200, 202, 226 (all the same as 230, 244), 217 (a 78 passenger Thomas Freightliner with tinted windows), and 203715 (a Thomas EF) have recently arrived in Calgary.

oh nice!!!!! All those except 217 are definitely ex Ottawa units from my yard to be exact (Bantree). 202 got the nickname Chester, because it shakes violently at idle. It was one of the worst ones. So don't be afraid to continue that nickname there :)

When I was in Cadets we used 417 Buslines and Lalonde Buslines for most of our Trips but when we were sent off the Summer camps , they would charter Thom Buslines to drive us up. I remember seeing Thom buses parked by DND for years, seems now its 417 that operates the Minibus for DND. I know at Campeau we did a charter or 2 for Cadets.

Note: Campeau Buslines BlueBird Vision picking up Cadets off a Flair Air 737, most likely from Baggotville, PQ

11813507_10153357227831311_8921318748817

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm just curious as to why school buses now have both yellow * red flash lights on top as to before they only had 2 red lights? Now its 2 yellow & 2 rd lights?

Also I've notice school buses in the US tend to have a side emergency door, while in Canada we just have a rear emergency door? Is there any reason for this?

I'm just curious as to why school buses now have both yellow * red flash lights on top as to before they only had 2 red lights? Now its 2 yellow & 2 rd lights?

Also I've notice school buses in the US tend to have a side emergency door, while in Canada we just have a rear emergency door? Is there any reason for this?

Different rules from the US (in regards to emergency exits). Our old rear engined pusher flatnoses used to have a side emergency exit but that was because it was impossible to put a rear exit on them. Now there is no more flatnoses, so that is no longer a concern.

As for the amber lights, those are only on the Campeau C2s that they imported from Quebec (which Quebec has amber inner lights on their 8-way systems). They kinda made them legal for Ontario by painting them with red lens coating, but when activated, they still flash amber, which is technically illegal, but that's not my concern.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
15 hours ago, Jay_L said:

Really? They're also buying a school bus company in Bowmansville. About 150 units i've heard.

EDIT: Their FB says 150 drivers, not units.

Phoenix Transportation Probably , Campeau Buslines is definitely expanding quite quickly

They now have branches in :

Ottawa

Perth

Gatineau/Hull SchoolBus and Coach 

Les Collines-de-l‘Outaouais Transit 

Montreal

Bowmansville 

Hawkesbury 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/25/2017 at 6:48 PM, dev161 said:

Update: Campeau is in the process of purchasing G Bourdria , doubtful that campeau will keep most of Bourdia's buses though

Are you sure about that? Just heard that they shut down (forcibly!) and their runs will be distributed by the transportation boards. Most local companies bought whatever bus were still viable and that's it.

On 2017-02-27 at 11:56 PM, Jay_L said:

Are you sure about that? Just heard that they shut down (forcibly!) and their runs will be distributed by the transportation boards. Most local companies bought whatever bus were still viable and that's it.

I was with Campeau up until last week and the buses were still sitting there and the mechanic incharge of my yard told me that they were planning to buy there runs and some buses

• 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

As far as school transportation goes, Quebec is light-years ahead of Ontario. Drivers are paid better, there are no RFPs so companies aren't afraid of investing in new buses and small companies aren't being chewed out by the multinationals, school schedules are harmonized between the bus companies and school boards so drivers can do double and triple runs every day. Multiple runs are the norm in Quebec and drivers prefer it like that. Our goverment could learn a thing or two from our eastern buddies.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...

So this is old news but looks like Roxborough Bought Foley Bus Lines back in 2021 

Spotted one of their J4500s ( unit #189 ) sporting 417 Buslines on the Side but still sticking to the same Blue and White Scheme that Foley used.

Couldn’t Grab a Photo sadly but once I do ill post it !! 

https://roxboroughbus.com/roxborough-acquires-foleymotorcoach/

On 6/30/2023 at 7:14 PM, dev161 said:

So this is old news but looks like Roxborough Bought Foley Bus Lines back in 2021 

Spotted one of their J4500s ( unit #189 ) sporting 417 Buslines on the Side but still sticking to the same Blue and White Scheme that Foley used.

Couldn’t Grab a Photo sadly but once I do ill post it !! 

https://roxboroughbus.com/roxborough-acquires-foleymotorcoach/

And to add on to that. Roxborough along with 417 Bus Line were acquired by Switzer-CARTY Transportation a few days ago. I attached a copy of the letter I recieved as I am a driver for them.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&opi=89978449&url=https://obj.ca/roxborough-bus-lines-acquired-by-switzer-carty/&ved=2ahUKEwi1sOba0Pv_AhWXlIkEHR_1BjkQxfQBKAB6BAgLEAI&usg=AOvVaw1ZKL5CZCBz7ybVyMiwU5X-

20230706_231803.jpg

• Like 1