Triangle Transit - Triangle Region, NC

Triangle Transit is the regional bus route and shuttle system connection the Research Triangle region of North Carolina, specifically the counties of Durham, Orange, and Wake. The bulk of the service focuses on connecting Chapel Hill, Durham, and Raleigh via all day regional limited stop routes, and peak period express routes. Overall I thought this system was pretty cool with how well it acts as a connector between the different local bus systems. It seems to be a much better setup than having a medley of routes operated by the individual agencies connecting to each other.

Fleet used by Triangle consists of vans, some cutaways, and 35' and 40' buses. The bus fleet is largely Gillig Low Floor, and at least two Orion VII suburban units. The buses seem to be numbered in the 2Yxx format. Gillig LF are 35' 2008, and 40' 2009,10,11. I also photographed Orion VII suburban unit 2612, and spotted 2613 on I-40. I have to wonder if they might be options off a contract with PART, which runs similar units. Triangle also operates the Robertson Scholars express route, which connects UNC Medical Center, Chapel Hill, and Duke University. This route uses specially RSX liveried buses. I believe 0325 is a former DATA unit.

16227982574_c58edc5c17_t.jpg 16661928139_be130aee6a_t.jpg 16847008201_8d76a12964_t.jpg 16848057735_3d0712f65b_t.jpg 16640746027_4d7e935f65_t.jpg 16622780489_e1fd417a47_t.jpg

Triangle Transit is the regional bus route and shuttle system connection the Research Triangle region of North Carolina, specifically the counties of Durham, Orange, and Wake. The bulk of the service focuses on connecting Chapel Hill, Durham, and Raleigh via all day regional limited stop routes, and peak period express routes. Overall I thought this system was pretty cool with how well it acts as a connector between the different local bus systems. It seems to be a much better setup than having a medley of routes operated by the individual agencies connecting to each other.

Fleet used by Triangle consists of vans, some cutaways, and 35' and 40' buses. The bus fleet is largely Gillig Low Floor, and at least two Orion VII suburban units. The buses seem to be numbered in the 2Yxx format. Gillig LF are 35' 2008, and 40' 2009,10,11. I also photographed Orion VII suburban unit 2612, and spotted 2613 on I-40. I have to wonder if they might be options off a contract with PART, which runs similar units. Triangle also operates the Robertson Scholars express route, which connects UNC Medical Center, Chapel Hill, and Duke University. This route uses specially RSX liveried buses. I believe 0325 is a former DATA unit.

The Orion VIIs are actually ex-PART. PART underwent some major service cuts in the past few years and was forced to transfer the buses, as their spare ratio greatly exceeded FTA guidelines (which if I recall correctly, is 20%)