Duke University Transit - Duke University, NC

MVTArider

Duke University operates a network of about a dozen routes around the Duke campuses. These routes are primarily for students, faculty, and staff to connect between the various campuses.

The fleet is about the same as posted in the wiki roster, and yes 1046 and 1047 are 07.502 35' model. I think the unknown numbers listed are all cutaways. I didn't spend much time on the Duke campus as it was getting late in the day. However I can tell you that the LFS seem to be run on the main campus routes, the Orion 07.502 run on the C1X, and the V were rocking the H2 Hospital Loop. I did not spot any LFSA, probably because the peak period was done for the day.

Photos:

16807803011_74f339a446_t.jpg 16783042946_8f3528d319_t.jpg 16601625827_880a64ceee_t.jpg 16188993703_ba6d404f31_t.jpg 16783041326_0bf1cde053_t.jpg

Duke University operates a network of about a dozen routes around the Duke campuses. These routes are primarily for students, faculty, and staff to connect between the various campuses.

The fleet is about the same as posted in the wiki roster, and yes 1046 and 1047 are 07.502 35' model. I think the unknown numbers listed are all cutaways. I didn't spend much time on the Duke campus as it was getting late in the day. However I can tell you that the LFS seem to be run on the main campus routes, the Orion 07.502 run on the C1X, and the V were rocking the H2 Hospital Loop. I did not spot any LFSA, probably because the peak period was done for the day.

Any idea on the powertrains?

Thanks for the update, it's the first time I get to see good pictures of the 40-foot LFS.

You're welcome :)

Any idea on the powertrains?

I'm certain the one LFS I rode had ISL9/B400R. I would guess the VIING had ISL/B400R as well. For the V I'm not sure, I wasn't paying much attention to the sound when I was near them.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

Duke going green...

DUKE UNIVERSITY ADDS PROTERRA CATALYST® BATTERY-ELECTRIC BUSES AND CHARGING STATIONS TO ITS FLEET

October 30th, 2018

As part of its commitment to achieving carbon neutrality by 2024, Duke begins to electrify campus transportation

Burlingame, Calif. – October 30, 2018 – Today Proterra, a leading innovator in heavy-duty electric transportation, announced that Duke University is adding two 40’ Proterra Catalyst ® E2 electric buses to its fleet. Duke is the first university in North Carolina to purchase electric buses, and expects to deploy the buses on campus in 2020.

“Using electric buses is a big step toward reaching our goal of being carbon neutral by 2024,” said Jason Elliott, assistant director of Sustainable Duke, part of the university’s Office of Sustainability. “The buses will be a great way for students, staff and faculty to experience the impact of the work Duke is doing in sustainability.”

Since initiating the University’s climate commitment in 2007, Duke has reduced the campus greenhouse gas footprint by 24 percent. However, in the same timeframe, Duke has seen a 9 percent increase in total emissions from employee commuting, air travel and Duke-owned fleets. In order to address the impact transit has on its carbon footprint, Duke plans to phase out the purchase of hybrid and diesel-hybrid buses and will buy electric buses moving forward.

The new zero-emission buses will replace two diesel vehicles from the university’s 24-bus fleet, which currently consists of hybrid-diesel and diesel vehicles. The battery-electric buses release zero tailpipe emissions, require no oil changes and use no liquid fuels. Duke expects to save approximately $924,000 in maintenance, fuel and vehicle costs over the lifespan of the two buses. As replacements for diesel vehicles, the Proterra Catalyst electric buses can also save more than 5 million pounds of carbon emissions over their 12-year lifespan.

“This was an easy decision to make,” said Carl DePinto, director of Duke Parking and Transportation Services. “The buses are clean, quiet and support our goal of becoming a climate-neutral institution.”

In addition to the two battery-electric buses, Duke will install two Proterra 60kW plug-in charging stations with standardized charge ports that can also be used to charge other electric vehicles in the fleet.

“Duke joins a growing list of forward-thinking educational institutions implementing Proterra electric vehicle technology and creating healthier campus communities,” said Ryan Popple, CEO of Proterra.  “We are proud to provide the Duke community with Proterra Catalyst electric buses, supporting the university’s sustainability initiatives with clean, quiet campus transportation.”