Durham Area Transit Authority (DATA) Durham, NC

Durham Area Transit Authority or DATA is the fixed-route transit system serving the city of Durham. Their operations are mainly local service, with buses operating at a regular frequency most of the day M-Sa, and a lighter schedule on Sundays. DATA also operates the Bull City Connector line, which is a fare free route connecting Duke University with the downtown area and the Durham Station.

The DATA fleet currently consists of Gillig Low Floor units from 2003, 2005, and 2008, and BRT Hybrid units from 2009. They also have five 2012 BRT Hybrids (1201-1205 I think) assigned to the BCC line. These have perimeter seating and no fare box. DATA did operate Phantoms as recently as 2011. They might still have some on reserve as there did not seem to be any newer buses besides the BCC units.

The 03xx series Gilligs seem to be in decent shape, but some of their powertrains are either poorly maintained or shot. One 03xx I rode kept stalling out when stopped at a light or stop, causing the bus to shudder violently and not go into gear when the driver would try to accelerate. Nothing like rolling slowly through an intersection for two minutes trying to make it to the other side :lol: I also heard radio chatter of another 03xx bus having transmission trouble, plus there was this back in December possibly involving one. I'm not sure what powertrains those units have though. They sounded similar enough to Cummins ISL (transmission was definitely B400R), but the buses have a cap instead of a center seat in the back bench, and the venting on the curbside is a bit different from other known ISL units I've photographed. So maybe Caterpillar or possibly ISC? At any rate I'm guessing they'll be replacing the 03xx series ASAP.

Now on to the photos:

16640773317_990c1a1088_t.jpg 16661952929_1e3efb6eb6_t.jpg 16640771317_9f65d7f7df_t.jpg 16661954349_ca5c56c92e_t.jpg 16807818242_8328ddd4b7_t.jpg

Overall a pretty neat system.

• 5 years later...

Bringing this thread way back from the dead for a bit of an update. I was in Durham last week and have some observations.

• Only two 2003 Gilligs, 0324 and 0329, are both running, both still in their old DATA paint scheme with no sign of GoDurham markings six years after the renaming. They aren't much longer for this world, GoDurham is due to get battery electric Gilligs later this year on a joint order with Chapel Hill Transit.
  • 0501, the lone 2005 Gillig, was nowhere to be seen. Most of the 08xx series were out, in the GoDurham scheme. The backbone of the fleet are the 1000/1200 BRT HEV's (now all in the main fleet after the Bull City Connector ended last year) and the 1700-1900 series. The 1700-1900's are all-longitudinal seating in the high floor section, a rarity for Gilligs and are all hard plastic seats, a rarity in the Triangle.
  • Over at Duke, the LFS's are holding court even with some showing their age. They ended up buying some more 40' Hybrids in 2013 (1300 series) as well as acquiring SEPTA 7300, the old LFSA HEV demo (now DU-1323). Their 2003 Orion V's are still technically active, but seem to run on an "as-we-like-to" basis. I did see, and ride, one of their two 2008 Orion VII's, DU-1046.
  • The two Duke Proterras still are nowhere to be seen, possibly in the same COVID limbo as the five GoRaleigh ordered or the additional buses ordered by RDU Airport.

I'll try to share pictures at some point soon, given the work given to get them into a format for this forum. 
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/25/2021 at 6:14 PM, Scrabbleship said:

Over at Duke, the LFS's are holding court even with some showing their age. They ended up buying some more 40' Hybrids in 2013 (1300 series) as well as acquiring SEPTA 7300, the old LFSA HEV demo (now DU-1323). Their 2003 Orion V's are still technically active, but seem to run on an "as-we-like-to" basis. I did see, and ride, one of their two 2008 Orion VII's, DU-1046. The two Duke Proterras still are nowhere to be seen, possibly in the same COVID limbo as the five GoRaleigh ordered or the additional buses ordered by RDU Airport.

Duke's pair of Proterras have entered service. Their intended home is on the C1 East West and while it's very hard to make up any fleet markings on Duke buses, it looks like that these may be 1400-1401 based on activity on Transloc.

The whole fleet seems to come and go. DU-1323 has had a nice break, no doubt due to issues such as having inoperable front signs, but DU-908 (2003 Orion V) is out and about on the Swift Avenue Shuttle from the looks of Transloc.

• Like 1