Buzz2kb

Aggie Spirit (Texas A&M University) - a RTS paradise for now

Aggie Spirit is Texas A&M University's shuttle system in College Station, Texas. For now, it is still a overwhelmingly RTS system, with both early 2000's Nova's and mid-decade MTS RTS Legend's, 46 of those are 2001 (101-122) and 2002 (201-224) 35ft. Nova Bus examples, as illustrated by buses 120, 214 and 222 attached here. Can anyone identify any differences between the 100 and 200 series of buses, or they are essentially identical buses?

The 600 series of MTS RTS Legend are the only 40ft. RTS's in their fleet, as illustrated by buses 640, 641 and wrapped bus 644 here. At 25 buses, it has the biggest fleet of MTS's unsuccessful modernized RTS derivative.

A couple of bonus pictures here: bus 645 is probably the pilot bus for the 14-bus new order. It is nothing other than the quintessential college shuttle bus of the 2010's -a 40ft. Gillig Low Floor, while cutaway 5152 is reserved for the on-campus route with lowest ridership.

Hope that you'll like my account on this college operation. Thanks for viewing!

TAMU-r06-120-2.JPGTAMU-r06-120-3.JPGTAMU-r31-214-2.JPGTAMU-r31-214-3.JPGTAMU-r04-222-1.JPGTAMU-r04-222-2.JPGTAMU-r22-640-2.JPGTAMU-r22-640-3.JPGTAMU-r22-641.JPGTAMU-r35-644.JPG

TAMU-r36-645-1.JPGTAMU-r36-645-2.JPGTAMU-r36-645-3.JPGTAMU-r36-645-4.JPGTAMU-r02-5152-1.JPGTAMU-r02-5152-2.JPGTAMU-r02-5152-3.JPGTAMU-r02-5152-4.JPG

I know I am a little late to the show but as on of the the Texas A&M student bus drivers I had to comment on this.

The 100's and 200's are pretty much the same bus the 200's were bought a year after the 100's from what I know. There is one big difference, the 100's have seats only around the outside of the bus. The 200's have 4 or so rows of seats facing forward in the middle of the bus. The 100's because of the seating arrangement can hold 10-15 more passengers (around 75-80) and are generally placed on the really busy on campus routes.

The "Millenniums" as we call them are by far my and most of the drivers favorite bus to drive. They drive nice and handle better and are smoother riding than any other bus I have driven. They are normally on our off campus routes and hold 80-85 passengers.

We have 10 new Gilligs (645-654) and 5 older refurbished Gilligs (655-659) I haven't driven one of the older Gilligs but the new ones are not very comfortable. They ride rough and you have to take almost all of the air out of the drivers seat because the steering wheels even when in the highest position is EXTREMELY low.

I believe that we have the largest college fleet in the U.S. that is driven for the most part by students but don't quote me on that.

If you have any other questions let me know I might know the answer. haha

We have 10 new Gilligs (645-654) and 5 older refurbished Gilligs (655-659) I haven't driven one of the older Gilligs but the new ones are not very comfortable. They ride rough and you have to take almost all of the air out of the drivers seat because the steering wheels even when in the highest position is EXTREMELY low.

So do you know the year, model, length(s) and the previous owner of refurbished buses 655-659? Thanks!

So do you know the year, model, length(s) and the previous owner of refurbished buses 655-659? Thanks!

They are all 40' Low floor buses TAMU is not going to be buying anything smaller anytime soon. As far as where they are from if I had to put money on it I would say we got them from Capital Metro in Austin TX (at one point we were looking at bidding on some of their retired fleet). Wherever we got them they were shipped to a company in MI to get refurbished. I don't know what year they are but they are for sure pre emissions probably between 2000-2005.

They are not on the routes that I drive normally when I drive one next I will look at the plate with the VIN and everything and get the year.

I have also heard roomers that we were going to be getting 2 used and refurbished 40' Nova high floor buses in the beginning of October this year but they are not here yet so I don't know if that is happening.

TAMU is sending all of our old 35' Nova buses to be refurbished 2 at a time, this option was chosen over buying a new fleet. Most of our buses are approaching 15 years of HARD service with TAMU transit so it is time that they did something.

I know I am a little late to the show but as on of the the Texas A&M student bus drivers I had to comment on this.

The 100's and 200's are pretty much the same bus the 200's were bought a year after the 100's from what I know. There is one big difference, the 100's have seats only around the outside of the bus. The 200's have 4 or so rows of seats facing forward in the middle of the bus. The 100's because of the seating arrangement can hold 10-15 more passengers (around 75-80) and are generally placed on the really busy on campus routes.

The "Millenniums" as we call them are by far my and most of the drivers favorite bus to drive. They drive nice and handle better and are smoother riding than any other bus I have driven. They are normally on our off campus routes and hold 80-85 passengers.

I believe that we have the largest college fleet in the U.S. that is driven for the most part by students but don't quote me on that.

If you have any other questions let me know I might know the answer. haha

Are the Novas from Ste. Eustache or Roswell? I know at least one college transit system bought Quebec LFS's before the Plattsburgh plant opened. I assume the normal local content rules don't apply here?

Are the Novas from Ste. Eustache or Roswell? I know at least one college transit system bought Quebec LFS's before the Plattsburgh plant opened. I assume the normal local content rules don't apply here?

All of VIN plates that I have seen on the Novas and Millenniums say that they were manufactured in Roswell if that is what you were asking. I do not know much about the procurement of the Novas though as I was only 8 years old when they were purchased by TAMU.

So do to the routes that I am on now I occasionally drive the old Gilligs. We have gotten a few more too, we now have 655-661 with one more Gillig and one 40' Nova arriving in the last few weeks that haven't gotten numbered yet.

655-659 were not refurbished form what I have heard we had them repainted and shipped to us, and it has shown they are almost always in the shop. I think we only have a few of them running now, one was in a accident and the rest are in our long term mechanical rows and.

658 has a vin# of 15GGD1812Y1071374 which is apparently a retired Northwestern Kentucky bus.

660-661 were remanufactured along with the two buses that have not been numbered.

As we get buses returned to us from the refurbishing place we are sending our 35' Novas two at a time, to them to begin the refurbishing all of our Novas.

Hope y'all find that interesting,

How many Nova RTS does Texas A&M still have? I'm only aware of (at least) 4 that have beenĀ sold to nearby Brazos Transit District (109, 209, 213, 215; there are photos of 215 in the Brazos TRansit District livery on their FB page...)