Transcollines

webfil

7 hours ago, MTL66 said:

Campeau picked up the OC Rural Partner Route that Thom was running.

I strongly doubt this route was considered an OC Rural route lately, although I would not have sufficient knowledge to argue over the existence at some point of an OC Rural route in Québec in that corridor.

7 hours ago, webfil said:

I strongly doubt this route was considered an OC Rural route lately, although I would not have sufficient knowledge to argue over the existence at some point of an OC Rural route in Québec in that corridor.

On the OC Transpo Rural Partner website, routes 500, 502, 503 are still be shown as being operated by Transport Thom. The timetable online have not been updated yet. Route 500 does service Gatineau.

http://www.octranspo.com/routes/rural_partner_routes

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Seashore_518203 said:

On the OC Transpo Rural Partner website, routes 500, 502, 503 are still be shown as being operated by Transport Thom. The timetable online have not been updated yet. Route 500 does service Gatineau.

http://www.octranspo.com/routes/rural_partner_routes

Information from @M.Wright who used to work for Campeau, who I would assume got the information from a good source.

So apparently Campeau turned down most of Thom's buses on the basis that they were for the most part, junk. But they did get some coaches, as they do have the 3 OC commuter routes

• 1 month later...

From Transcollines' Facebook page:

LA PÊCHE – March 13th 2017 - Due to the labour dispute currently in force at the Société de Transports de l’Outaouais (STO), Transcollines announces measures to compensate its users who possess combined fare passes which, as a result of their usage, are affected by the numerous cancellations of trips and the loss of the quality of service at the STO. These compensatory measures are possible through an agreement between Transcollines and the STO.

As of March 15th, 2017, users with a combined monthly pass will be able to benefit from a $ 10 discount on the purchase of their fare payment. In the event that the labour dispute continues for the month of May and subsequent months, the discount will be applied at the moment of purchase at all Transcollines outlets.

Users who had a valid combined monthly subscription in January, February and March will be entitled to $ 10 per month discount, as well as those who would have purchased in advance April and subsequent months- if applicable. The terms and conditions surrounding the reimbursement of these amounts will be communicated to the users once the labour dispute at the STO has been resolved.

11 minutes ago, Mark Walton said:

Transcollines, being provincially regulated, is not permitted to operate into Ottawa; unlike STO and OC Transpo, both of which are federally regulated.

Interesting. I faintly recall that back in early August, I saw a Transcollines bus 'En transit' outside of the Parliament, so I sorta assumed that there was some service to Ottawa as I did very little research into its routes back then.

19 hours ago, Mark Walton said:

Transcollines, being provincially regulated, is not permitted to operate into Ottawa; unlike STO and OC Transpo, both of which are federally regulated.

The constitutive act for the STO is the Loi sur les sociétés de transport en commun (RLRQ c S-30.01). It is a provincial act, so are the Code municipal (RLRQ c C-27.1) and Loi sur les transports (RLRQ c T-12) ― Transcollines' constitutive acts.

The partnerships between STO and OCTranspo are the agencies' initiative and are not enforced by the federal, to my knowledge. The former TRANS committee was not constituted under a federal act neither.

When you say "federally regulated", I am curious as to what you are referring.

22 minutes ago, webfil said:

When you say "federally regulated", I am curious as to what you are referring.

OC Transpo and the STO are federally regulated as both systems cross an interprovincial border to serve areas outside their home province.  OC Transpo is also provincially-mandated, though I do not have the legislation details handy at the moment.

AFAIK, the only other federally-regulated transit system in Canada is Transit Windsor, which of course operates the Tunnel Bus into downtown Detroit.

39 minutes ago, tomsbuspage said:

OC Transpo and the STO are federally regulated as both systems cross an interprovincial border to serve areas outside their home province.  AFAIK, the only other federally-regulated transit system in Canada is Transit Windsor, which of course operates the Tunnel Bus into downtown Detroit.

Indeed. But, the federal jurisdiction over interprovincial/international transportation applies to every carrier moving people or goods from one province to another, or from one country to another, not specifically the STO and OCTranspo. The fact that STO is constituted under S-30.01 and Transcollines under C-27.1 does not implies that the former is allowed to operate cross-border and not the latter.

Note that RÉGÎM (also a régie intermunicipale erected under C-27.1, with a permit in compliance with T-12) also operated on-demand service to Campbellton NB at some point, and that IIRC their permit still allows it.

What I am looking for here is a specific federal act that applies to STO and OCTranspo; I do not know one, but my knowledge is limited. Unless the constitutive act and permit (provincial) restrain the agency to a specific province, the Motor Vehicle Transport Act (federal) applies equally to all agencies.

I.E. my understanding is that if Transcollines does not go into Ottawa, it is probably because it never asked for it. It is not forbidden per se.

1 minute ago, webfil said:

What I am looking for here is a specific federal act that applies to STO and OCTranspo; I do not know one, but my knowledge is limited.

Though it may have been updated/replaced over the succeeding decades, Federal legislation allowing Ottawa transit vehicles to cross into Quebec dates from 1892 (Dominion, 55-56 Vic., Cap. 53).

On 3/17/2017 at 1:32 PM, webfil said:

Indeed. But, the federal jurisdiction over interprovincial/international transportation applies to every carrier moving people or goods from one province to another, or from one country to another, not specifically the STO and OCTranspo. The fact that STO is constituted under S-30.01 and Transcollines under C-27.1 does not implies that the former is allowed to operate cross-border and not the latter.

Note that RÉGÎM (also a régie intermunicipale erected under C-27.1, with a permit in compliance with T-12) also operated on-demand service to Campbellton NB at some point, and that IIRC their permit still allows it.

What I am looking for here is a specific federal act that applies to STO and OCTranspo; I do not know one, but my knowledge is limited. Unless the constitutive act and permit (provincial) restrain the agency to a specific province, the Motor Vehicle Transport Act (federal) applies equally to all agencies.

I.E. my understanding is that if Transcollines does not go into Ottawa, it is probably because it never asked for it. It is not forbidden per se.

Certainly the Canada Labor Code, governing OC Transpo, STO, and Transit Windsor for the above-stated reasons. For Transcollines and other strictly intra-provincial operators, the labor and other laws of their respective provinces govern.

On another topic: one of 2 Transcollines buses at Place d'Accueuil, Maisonneuve Boulevard, during the last STO rotating strike March 21.

IMG_20170321_160237_BURST002.jpg

On 3/23/2017 at 6:22 PM, Mark Walton said:

Certainly the Canada Labor Code, governing OC Transpo, STO, and Transit Windsor for the above-stated reasons. For Transcollines and other strictly intra-provincial operators, the labor and other laws of their respective provinces governs.

On another topic: one of 2 Transcollines buses at Place d'Accueuil, Maisonneuve Boulevard, during the last STO rotating strike March 21

The board won't  let me upload the other; the limit is 5 MB. EDIT: I just uploaded that picture to the Transcollines thread in the NCR forum.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
23 minutes ago, MTL66 said:

Transcollines C6 joins sister unit C7 being sold to Transdev. C6 was spotted at Transdev Chateauguay and will be put in CITSO livery within the next month according to the dispatcher.

Is Transcollines going to replace those two buses or have they cut services?

11 hours ago, sdgta2008 said:

They replaced the Poltimore and Hollow Glen scheduled routes by on-demand services that probably require at most a minivan.

See the Wiki for a thorough list of the cancelled routes since 2015.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, webfil said:

They replaced the Poltimore and Hollow Glen scheduled routes by on-demand services that probably require at most a minivan.

See the Wiki for a thorough list of the cancelled routes since 2015.

By the looks of things, Transcollines service seems to be getting worse, I wonder if they will survive in the futur or will we see this service turn into a taxibus service.

12 hours ago, MTL66 said:

By the looks of things, Transcollines service seems to be getting worse, I wonder if they will survive in the futur or will we see this service turn into a taxibus service.

Except for the Hollow Glen service (which was a taxibus prior to the cancellation of "Transcollines" route 960 and re-affectation of the vacated bus), all of the cancelled routes were intra-Les Collines or Les Collines-bound routes. There might have been a lesser-than-expected demand growth for Les Collines-bound commuter transportation, except for Cantley (which, for the moment, keeps the only remnant of the even-numbered scheduled routes).

Even Poltimore regular commuter service was quite a surprise at the beginning; Val-des-Monts population is surely on the way up, but Poltimore's population might be a bit too scarce and it might be outlying too much out of the NatCap region to ensure efficient and reasonable transit services ― the ride to Ottawa was somewhere around 1h30-1h45, with 2-3 transfers, hence its low ridership growth over the first year of service.

The Gatineau-bound routes seem to be in a great shape. The integration of Pontiac coach route to the system in 2018 shows that the Régie is still on the way up, but its services need adjustments.

If you mean to compare viability of a bus service in that area, let's compare apples with apples.

Montréal crown CIT's trunk routes (i.e. CITLM routes 19/25, Repentigny route 400, CITVR route 200, Blus routes 300/400, SJR route 96, CITL routes 8/9, etc.) are, for most, former coach routes that operate since the 40's, serving age-old settlements that were included to the metropolitan urban hierarchy since Montréal can be called a metropolis (mid-1800's). The Transcollines service offer more akin to TCJC and PLUMobile boards in Québec region, or, to some extent, TCIL and CRTL boards in the greater Montréal area, rather than CIT's, as it serves former rural/cottage countries that gradually became "pastoral/edgy suburbs" (I have a hard time translating villégiaturbanisation and périurbanisation in English...). The shape, density and demand for transit in these municipalities at the edge of the metropolitan area have no common sense with what used to be the traditional sprawling suburb (~1945-~2000) .

In La Jacques-Cartier and Côte-de-Beaupré/Île-d'Orléans, many minor routes or departures were cancelled or their ressources re-affected (I'm thinking about routes to Saint-Gabriel-de-Valcartier, the mid-day Orléans island departures, etc.). Without adequate funding, a somewhat important concentration or polarization of public services or commercial destinations and a comprehensive rotating schedule, a subcontracted intraregional community route hardly viable ― albeit in Les Collines, Lotbinière or Montcalm RCM. In terms of structural geography and morphology analysis, scarce, non-polarized, enclosed-estates-style settlements relying on automobility in Les Collines area makes it strongly dependent of Gatineau/Ottawa employment clusters, public services and commercial destinations, and will continue to do so with its current schemes of development. A community route will be hardly viable in the next decades, but commuter routes will surely be successful.

The service wanderings one can observe since 2 years seem normal to me, as there had been only STO routes 14 and 15 operating in the area ― everything else was written on an empty canvas. Wakefield and Cantley services have a good ridership. I strongly doubt they would ever go from scrawny-scheduled STO service to growing-ridership Transcollines service, then reverting to taxibus service the whole system.

On 3/17/2017 at 1:00 PM, webfil said:

The partnerships between STO and OCTranspo are the agencies' initiative and are not enforced by the federal, to my knowledge. The former TRANS committee was not constituted under a federal act neither.

With participation from the National Capital Commission, which in the early 1970s helped broker the deal. The federal government was at the time going great guns on moving some federal offices to Gatineau, and wanted to beef up inter-provincial transit. The deal took effect October 1, 1973; the NCC subsidized the inter-provincial service until about 1995.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 2017-04-05 at 9:50 PM, sdgta2008 said:

On 2017-04-05 at 9:26 PM, MTL66 said:

Transcollines C6 joins sister unit C7 being sold to Transdev. C6 was spotted at Transdev Chateauguay and will be put in CITSO livery within the next month according to the dispatcher.

It appears Transcollins bought more cutaways

saw C16 at Stn De La Gappe

it also sports a non bus type bike rack (one you would find on the back of a car/van)

5 hours ago, Oc4526 said:

It appears Transcollins bought more cutaways

Transcollines does not 'buy' buses per se, but rather contracts a private operator that needs to meet some standards and criterias. AFAIK, the contract with Campeau stated that the subcontractor must offer a certain amount of 40-seaters to operate the Wakefield routes, and another amount of 20-to-25-seaters to service the other routes. Models were not specified, but suggested.