160 Downriver

Detroit People Mover

The Detroit People Mover is a circular loop around downtown Detroit. Opened in 1987, it uses the same technology as the Skytrain and the Scarborough RT.

Anyways, one of their trains derailed yesterday.

http://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/detroit/2015/01/22/detroit-people-mover-derails/22198605/

A Detroit People Mover car jumped a rail and hit a platform tonight, closing down the elevated downtown rail service, officials said.

No injuries were reported. It wasn't immediately clear how the rail car left the track just after 10 p.m. near the Rosa Parks Transit Center.

The Detroit People Mover is a circular loop around downtown Detroit. Opened in 1987, it uses the same technology as the Skytrain and the Scarborough RT.

Anyways, one of their trains derailed yesterday.

http://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/detroit/2015/01/22/detroit-people-mover-derails/22198605/

Wonder if it picked the switch that leads to the shop track?

Wonder if it picked the switch that leads to the shop track?

I don't know, but I know it didn't collide with any other trains, which would be impossible anyway without using the switch you mentioned.

Both cars in one of the consists are currently wrapped for Sprint.

BzFNzOU.jpgBn1cIfY.jpg

I had just missed riding that train, but it runs frequently anyways. Here's the one I ended up boarding:

NY7VDDK.jpg

The brakes sounded horrible, even more so when it rounded a curve. That goes to show you how to leave a train unmaintained since 1987!