One Giant Transit Authority

swimmer_spe

This is an election promise more than a solid plan (as mentioned above). The money is being put on the table, but how it is used depends on who wins. This is the PC plan, and doesn't necessary reflect what may happen after the election. Most of those highway plans are highly protested, hence why they haven't already been built.

On 3/12/2022 at 11:34 PM, Mike said:

There are are plenty of other examples of highways that join together and then split up again. For example 7 and 85 and 7 and 8, or 6 and 401.  Highway 2 has multiple exchanges to hwy 401 (I counted 6). 403 also has two different interchanges to 407.

I was talking more about 400-series highways.  The non-freeway (for the most part) highways do have the tendency to cross over the freeway that superseded them, case in point Hwy. 2 as you mentioned.  The 403/QEW are the only co-signed freeways.  You do have the odd freeway/highway co-sign like the 401/6 and 403/6 and I think the 400/69 (since downloading from the 1990s the 410/7 no longer counts).

20 minutes ago, TRENT_TRANSIT_SYSTEM said:

This is an election promise more than a solid plan (as mentioned above). The money is being put on the table, but how it is used depends on who wins. This is the PC plan, and doesn't necessary reflect what may happen after the election. Most of those highway plans are highly protested, hence why they haven't already been built.

All the other parties are campaigning against the 413.  Whether or not it sways enough votes provincially, and more crucially, locally remains to be seen.  It goes through some fairly solid PC ridings, but I don't know if there's been enough of a demographic shift to swing them in the even the PCs lose control of Queen's Park.

The rail-based transit corridor along the 407 (upgraded from the originally planned bus Transitway) seems intriguing but there are still a lot of details that need to be worked out.  It looks more like an election ploy that will be lucky if it get started before the next term draws to a close.  Lines drawn on a napkin before an election rarely go as planned.

2 hours ago, Gil said:

The rail-based transit corridor along the 407 (upgraded from the originally planned bus Transitway) seems intriguing but there are still a lot of details that need to be worked out.  It looks more like an election ploy that will be lucky if it get started before the next term draws to a close.  Lines drawn on a napkin before an election rarely go as planned.

Along Hwy 7 would be better option as that would facilitate easier transfers to local transit.  Having it within the 407 would make for extremely uncomfortable transfers.

Rail based as in LRT that will stop at say every major cross street or something heavier that will stop every so often like every 4-5km instead of 1-3?

23 hours ago, Mike said:

Along Hwy 7 would be better option as that would facilitate easier transfers to local transit.  Having it within the 407 would make for extremely uncomfortable transfers.

Rail based as in LRT that will stop at say every major cross street or something heavier that will stop every so often like every 4-5km instead of 1-3?

Right now it's a vague line drawn on a map with the hopes of upgrading it to some sort of rail-based system.  Given that it's running in the 407 corridor, crossings will be more limited and even then I doubt every crossing of the corridor will get a station similar to how not every road crossing the 407 doesn't get an interchange (Islington, Steeles,  McLaughlin).  If we were talking about a completely grade separated transit corridor I don't know if there's much difference in terms of price for a station if it's a bus or a train/LRT of some sort.  Oshawa to Burlington would be a long route, but it would provide an additional circumferential route through the GTA without having to go through Union Station/Toronto.  HOV lanes along the 401 in Toronto if they could be shoehorned in (or simply given over) somehow would help with the GO buses that rely on it to access places like Yorkdale, Finch or STC.  The map does indicate this possibility at least between the 427 and Yonge.

The 407 Transitway is still shown on the map with the thin yellow dotted line, but it gets completely covered by the "Higher Order Transit Connection" in thick purple.  So will we have two different technology corridors along the 403 in Mississauga and 407 in York/Durham?  The Transitway corridor would essentially be the "local service" while the rail-based corridor would be the "express service".  If the Mississauga Transitway design is extended, other local agencies can use the corridor based on available access points.

The tricky part is getting both within the same corridor.  With the Mississauga section there isn't a lot of room meaning you either build on top of or beneath the Transitway.  The section along Eglinton may be tricky as it's also within the flight path of Pearson, but I doubt it'll be taller than any of the existing buildings in the area.

image.thumb.png.a4b07216bd1acc92d4b9e39c357e67a3.png

• 6 months later...

I know this is a topic that can be very controversial but, I feel this is a very important discussion that needs to happen. I have done lots of research on this, and have been working on a report that covers the pros and cons of joining all the transit systems across the GTHA and possibly even further out, such as up to Peterborough, Barrie, Owen Sound, Orangeville, Guelph, Kitchener and area and Brantford. 

When I discussed my thoughts before, there was little support, but there was a lot of criticism about it. Things like, people in Toronto do not want to fund transit in Oakville, or people will not take a local transit system from Burlington to Newmarket or my transit service in Toronto will suffer so there can be improved service in Burlington or Orangeville. But I assure everyone, that merging transit systems together would actually be a huge benefit. 

Here are some examples of why transit is not working properly in the GTA; First Burlington has tried to launch a bus from Dundas/407 carpool lot to Aldershot GO Station via Dundas street and Waterdown, but Hamilton didn't want to give up the work they have in Waterdown. Hamilton basically told Burlington that they want 100% of all fare revenue of all trips on that route. Even if the customers do not get on or off in Waterdown. 

There was talk of YRT running the Orange several years ago into Brampton but Brampton blocked it because they had plans to launch the Zum service and they didn't want overlap. When Brampton said they wanted to go into Vaughn, it was allowed so that there could possibly be an extension of the Orange to Brampton but that was again blocked by Brampton.

Brampton and Milton have both tried to take a contract to service Georgetown and it was rejected as Georgetown didn't want to pay for it but they wanted the fare revenue. 

Why a transit system such as the one I propose would work; If all funding from the cities, municipalities and regions was uploaded to a combined system authority, as well as fare revenue, it takes the local politicians out of things and then you can have proper route planning that can stretch across boundaries, with no local agenda that may come to play. By that, I mean the times when a local politician decides a brand new route needs to operate through an area, with no consultations, and the ridership ends up low, because it is a pet project that is brought in for votes. 

A combined transit system can take corridors that have different routes operating, and merge it together for a better seamless transit experience. Essentially taking a corridor such as Dundas and operating one bus route that operates through multiple cities, instead of multiple routes and frequencies and services that do not connect, someone could essentially travel a long distance on one bus.

Areas that offer rapid bus services, such as the Zum, Viva and Pulse services, those routes could merge in some spots if possible, and frequencies could increase, and then local transit bus routes could also be modified to connect to the express routes better, as a feeder service. So for example the 501 Zum Queen service and the Viva Orange could become one bus route, and many local buses in Brampton and throughout York Region could be modified to feed the new route. 

A combined system could also allow buses to travel to areas with no service at all. There are several areas of both York and Durham region that have only a form of on demand service, but there could be new routes built out, such as a route that goes from Cornell terminal along highway 7 going east before turning somewhere along there and heading to Uxbridge. Another route could travel locally from Cornell to Uxbridge via Stoufville. A bus could also travel from Pickering to Newmarket via Uxbridge. Also there could be buses that operate from Newmarket to Orangeville. 

There could also be improvements to the GO service, such as removing buses that travel along King/Dundas/Kingston, in Durham where the Pulse bus currently operates, as well as the 920. Both of these routes could be modified to service Scarborough, either the station or where the GO bus routes currently are stopping now. From Scarborough there could be a new GO bus that operates to York Mills, Yorkdale, Pearson airport, Square One and possibly further west via the 403/407 or 401/407. This way it merges some of the more express GO routes while freeing up a few buses that run more locally and it allows local transit buses that operate express services to provide better service. 

Also by allowing a provincial agency to be in control of the GTA's transit, the funding that is needed for critical repairs or upgrades can be put into the system better, so the future of transit is better and working for more people. It is estimated that there will be over a million more people in the GTHA in the next 20 or so years. Roads are already a mess at certain times of the day and in order to fix that there needs to be a major investment in public transit across the region, and that also includes along the 401/400 corridors. 

Having bus service that connect from London to Woodstock, and Woodstock to Stratford, and Stratford to Waterloo/Kitchener, as well as service that goes from London to Kitchener area, and service from Guelph to Kitchener area should allow more options for people to avoid driving the 401 corridor. 

There are a lot more suggestions I have in my report I am working on, but I am still doing research of some stuff. 

• 1 month later...
On 10/19/2022 at 5:45 PM, brianc1981 said:

I know this is a topic that can be very controversial but, I feel this is a very important discussion that needs to happen. I have done lots of research on this, and have been working on a report that covers the pros and cons of joining all the transit systems across the GTHA and possibly even further out, such as up to Peterborough, Barrie, Owen Sound, Orangeville, Guelph, Kitchener and area and Brantford. 

When I discussed my thoughts before, there was little support, but there was a lot of criticism about it. Things like, people in Toronto do not want to fund transit in Oakville, or people will not take a local transit system from Burlington to Newmarket or my transit service in Toronto will suffer so there can be improved service in Burlington or Orangeville. But I assure everyone, that merging transit systems together would actually be a huge benefit. 

Here are some examples of why transit is not working properly in the GTA; First Burlington has tried to launch a bus from Dundas/407 carpool lot to Aldershot GO Station via Dundas street and Waterdown, but Hamilton didn't want to give up the work they have in Waterdown. Hamilton basically told Burlington that they want 100% of all fare revenue of all trips on that route. Even if the customers do not get on or off in Waterdown. 

There was talk of YRT running the Orange several years ago into Brampton but Brampton blocked it because they had plans to launch the Zum service and they didn't want overlap. When Brampton said they wanted to go into Vaughn, it was allowed so that there could possibly be an extension of the Orange to Brampton but that was again blocked by Brampton.

Brampton and Milton have both tried to take a contract to service Georgetown and it was rejected as Georgetown didn't want to pay for it but they wanted the fare revenue. 

Why a transit system such as the one I propose would work; If all funding from the cities, municipalities and regions was uploaded to a combined system authority, as well as fare revenue, it takes the local politicians out of things and then you can have proper route planning that can stretch across boundaries, with no local agenda that may come to play. By that, I mean the times when a local politician decides a brand new route needs to operate through an area, with no consultations, and the ridership ends up low, because it is a pet project that is brought in for votes. 

A combined transit system can take corridors that have different routes operating, and merge it together for a better seamless transit experience. Essentially taking a corridor such as Dundas and operating one bus route that operates through multiple cities, instead of multiple routes and frequencies and services that do not connect, someone could essentially travel a long distance on one bus.

Areas that offer rapid bus services, such as the Zum, Viva and Pulse services, those routes could merge in some spots if possible, and frequencies could increase, and then local transit bus routes could also be modified to connect to the express routes better, as a feeder service. So for example the 501 Zum Queen service and the Viva Orange could become one bus route, and many local buses in Brampton and throughout York Region could be modified to feed the new route. 

A combined system could also allow buses to travel to areas with no service at all. There are several areas of both York and Durham region that have only a form of on demand service, but there could be new routes built out, such as a route that goes from Cornell terminal along highway 7 going east before turning somewhere along there and heading to Uxbridge. Another route could travel locally from Cornell to Uxbridge via Stoufville. A bus could also travel from Pickering to Newmarket via Uxbridge. Also there could be buses that operate from Newmarket to Orangeville. 

There could also be improvements to the GO service, such as removing buses that travel along King/Dundas/Kingston, in Durham where the Pulse bus currently operates, as well as the 920. Both of these routes could be modified to service Scarborough, either the station or where the GO bus routes currently are stopping now. From Scarborough there could be a new GO bus that operates to York Mills, Yorkdale, Pearson airport, Square One and possibly further west via the 403/407 or 401/407. This way it merges some of the more express GO routes while freeing up a few buses that run more locally and it allows local transit buses that operate express services to provide better service. 

Also by allowing a provincial agency to be in control of the GTA's transit, the funding that is needed for critical repairs or upgrades can be put into the system better, so the future of transit is better and working for more people. It is estimated that there will be over a million more people in the GTHA in the next 20 or so years. Roads are already a mess at certain times of the day and in order to fix that there needs to be a major investment in public transit across the region, and that also includes along the 401/400 corridors. 

Having bus service that connect from London to Woodstock, and Woodstock to Stratford, and Stratford to Waterloo/Kitchener, as well as service that goes from London to Kitchener area, and service from Guelph to Kitchener area should allow more options for people to avoid driving the 401 corridor. 

There are a lot more suggestions I have in my report I am working on, but I am still doing research of some stuff. 

Im working on it 😊