Mirabel - High Speed Train ?

Canucktunes

No offense but that is just ridiculous. The only High speed rail in Canada that would make sense is Toronto-Ottawa-Montreal or Calgary-Edmonton.

Well, i'm not talking either-or here. The provincial government of Quebec appeared to want to go forward with high speed trains north of the St. Laurent whilst the Federal government did not, so if they can find a private company to invest they could try to do it with little federal investment.

Calgary-Edmonton is a no brainer but they're dragging their heals whilst the Feds are slowly trying to position Via Rail for sale, delaying Toronto-Ottawa-Montreal.

I'd add Toronto-Windsor if someone were to get serious about building a connecting Detroit-Chicago high speed service.

It's a shame they couldn't have done it earlier to save the historic Michigan Central train station in Detroit. But yes, I think Detroit would need to be serviced on top of Windsor.

I thought they were working on getting a train service of some kind from Dorval airport to the downtown core or something like that, I would think the STM should get metro service extended from Cote-Vertu to Dorval Airport

They're extending the Orange line north according to the AMT : https://votrenouveau.amt.qc.ca/en/news/projects/metro-extension

High-speed rail between Calgary and Edmonton is hampered by the fact that if you use the existing CP line, an exorbitant number of grade separations would be required to have trains safely travelling at high speed, especially in the presence of farm equipment and other slow-moving vehicles (or just stupid people).

As for the rest of it, it's been studied tooth and nail. The problem is that no self-protecting politician would dare stand behind the funds required to build the project. Through most of the studies you could justify high-speed rail between London and Quebec City via Toronto, Ottawa and Montreal. I'm not getting into specifics regarding exact routings (Kitchener vs. Brantford, Trois Rivieres vs. Drummondville) because I don't know them.

Mirabel (or according to some signs in Ontario, Mirabell) is a lost cause planned at a time when populations were surging in Montreal and it made some sense. Then political unrest happened and Montreal's balloon started to deflate. Cut your losses, tear down the terminal, and try to hide the mistake on the near no lake. Turning it back into usable farm land wouldn't be a terrible idea in the grand scheme of things either.

High-speed rail between Calgary and Edmonton is hampered by the fact that if you use the existing CP line, an exorbitant number of grade separations would be required to have trains safely travelling at high speed, especially in the presence of farm equipment and other slow-moving vehicles (or just stupid people).

As for the rest of it, it's been studied tooth and nail.

Indeed, Calgary - Edmonton has been studied tooth and nail, and has always been studied as a new alignment. I don't recall ever hearing of HST using the existing CP line.

I also very rarely see farm equipment or other slow moving equipment on Alberta highways (well, I suppose other than massive pieces of equipment heading north on Highway 63).

Yup, with an annual ridership of 2 people. Good plan.

Via Rail takes 3 hours and 15 minutes from Montreal to Quebec city yet there is significant ridership in-between those two cities. Add to those the people from Gatineau that cross to Ottawa to take another 2 hours to travel to Montreal.

This would also only happen if Mirabel were to re-open to the airlines so there would be travellers from Gatineau/Ottawa and Trois Rivieres.

As for the rest of it, it's been studied tooth and nail. The problem is that no self-protecting politician would dare stand behind the funds required to build the project. Through most of the studies you could justify high-speed rail between London and Quebec City via Toronto, Ottawa and Montreal. I'm not getting into specifics regarding exact routings (Kitchener vs. Brantford, Trois Rivieres vs. Drummondville) because I don't know them.

Mirabel (or according to some signs in Ontario, Mirabell) is a lost cause planned at a time when populations were surging in Montreal and it made some sense. Then political unrest happened and Montreal's balloon started to deflate. Cut your losses, tear down the terminal, and try to hide the mistake on the near no lake. Turning it back into usable farm land wouldn't be a terrible idea in the grand scheme of things either.

Grade separations are a major problem in the current Windsor-Quebec City corridor as well. That's why I think it will never be used for high speed rail. And the Quebecois studies point towards the use of lands north of the St. Laurence instead.

Mirabel is currently being used by courier services so I doubt it will go back to farmland.

This would also only happen if Mirabel were to re-open to the airlines so there would be travellers from Gatineau/Ottawa and Trois Rivieres.

Mirabel is not really closing. Just tearing down the passenger terminal as Bombardier , cargo airlines, general aviation and Medevac still use the airport.

Mirabel is not really closing. Just tearing down the passenger terminal as Bombardier , cargo airlines, general aviation and Medevac still use the airport.

But is it, and will forever remain, closed to commercial aviation. In that sense, it's been closed since 1997.

Dan

The problem is that no self-protecting politician would dare stand behind the funds required to build the project.

It's the ultimate catch-22 that the project is facing. You need a decent population density along the line to make it work with the stations as close to the centre of towns and cities as possible. However, the cheapest land for the corridor to help ensure that the project gets built would put the stations way out in the middle of nowhere. That's why the old Ontario and Quebec mainline, straightened and regraded for high speed of course, keeps coming up and it's shot down just as quickly.

• 2 months later...

Indeed, Calgary - Edmonton has been studied tooth and nail, and has always been studied as a new alignment. I don't recall ever hearing of HST using the existing CP line.

I also very rarely see farm equipment or other slow moving equipment on Alberta highways (well, I suppose other than massive pieces of equipment heading north on Highway 63).

They do not even have a slow speed passenger rail line. While I agree that the area would be well served if they biuld a HSR line, they should fisrt get a regular Via line running.