DavidW

On-It (Calgary Regional Partnership transit)

Regional bus network to be tested in proposed pilot project
By Jason Markusoff,
Calgary Herald October 30, 2014

Commuters and shoppers from towns south of Calgary could soon be testing out a proposed bus network linking to a Calgary LRT station.

[...]

The $500,000 trial, which could launch next fall or spring 2016, is funded through a provincial collaboration grant and will likely carry the region’s new On It transit brand, which the partnership hopes eventually becomes a major force like southern Ontario’s GO Transit.

I was reading this last night after a friend sent me the link.

In this quote: "Airdrie and Canmore also have a joint bus program. But the Okotoks-area sub-regional plan is the first service to potentially materialize through the partnership, which has been plotting and talking about such programs since the last decade."

It seems Airdrie and Canmore have a joint bus program, but I believe they were referring to Banff and Canmore having a joint bus program and not Airdrie and Canmore. I could be wrong... I just can't see how Airdrie and Canmore would have a joint bus program.

Sounds interesting! I hope this becomes a reality. I wonder what kind of equipment these services will use. Finally some more flare will be added to Somerset-Bridlewood station.

I wonder where they're going to stick all those people when they arrive at Somerset Bridlewood station... those trains leave packed during the morning rush, the C train is at maximum capacity! Once four cars begin they'll be full too!

I wonder where they're going to stick all those people when they arrive at Somerset Bridlewood station... those trains leave packed during the morning rush, the C train is at maximum capacity! Once four cars begin they'll be full too!

But how many of those people are already coming up from the south by car?

IMO the name sucks, 'On it'? Surely they can come up with a better name than that!

True enough should help out with cars on the road but more people will slam on the trains than ever before I hope it all works out anyway in the long run they really need to interduce a rail network similar to what Salt Lake City has

True enough should help out with cars on the road but more people will slam on the trains than ever before I hope it all works out anyway in the long run they really need to interduce a rail network similar to what Salt Lake City has

I've always thought that there should be heavy rail serving Calgary, you could run trains up to Airdrie, to Cochrane, to Chestermere, and to Okotoks (or however far that line goes).

Thought of a silly but better name, how about 'ABus' (AB bus)!

This might seem blatantly absurd, especially with the lack of extra space on the South LRT... but would an express LRT line be feasible? Or if not, would a short-line from Brentwood to Anderson be instead?

I've had the dream for a very long time that some day there could be an express train running on the CP tracks to connect High River, De winton, Okotoks and a couple of the south LRT stations directly to downtown. Would provide a rail based option for those living south of the city and in the southern end as well to get downtown without the cattle car experience of the LRT.

Problem is that I don't have the money or the wherewithal to find the right connections at the province and CP Rail to even discuss a pilot project. DMU's have run on the line before (aka the Discotrain Regiosprinter back in 1996) and the technology has matured and even runs in service today in Ottawa as the O-Train.

Anyone able to provide some guidance on this?

No guidance to offer. But having dealt with CP in the past they will want a lot of money for it, the city isn't interested (already suggested it to them during a meet and greet) and the province doesn't seem interested in passengers going by rail, just look at the lack of rail service between Edmonton and Calgary!

No guidance to offer. But having dealt with CP in the past they will want a lot of money for it, the city isn't interested (already suggested it to them during a meet and greet) and the province doesn't seem interested in passengers going by rail, just look at the lack of rail service between Edmonton and Calgary!

They will have to change the way they think. Look at how the population growth Alberta has had in the past twenty years. Sooner or later they will have to invest in public transit expansion in Alberta.

Metro article on proposed On-It transit service.

December 2, 2014 Updated : December 2, 2014 | 7:59 pm
Regional public transit between Calgary, Okotoks, and beyond sought by 2015
By Robson Fletcher
Metro

In addition to discussing the south corridor (Okotoks) service, the article also mentions planning for service from Chestermere to Calgary and Strathmore.

Builders, commuters laud regional bus bid
Lisa Monforton, Calgary Herald
Published on: March 3, 2015
Last Updated: March 3, 2015 5:23 AM MST

[...]

The Calgary Regional Partnership (CRP) is set to launch the pilot project in the fall of 2016. The plan, originally scheduled for September 2015, is to offer a regional bus link to an LRT station, such as Anderson or Somerset in Calgary’s south from the communities of Nanton, Black Diamond, Turner Valley and Okotoks.

[...]

Metro article on proposed On-It transit service.

December 2, 2014 Updated : December 2, 2014 | 7:59 pm

Regional public transit between Calgary, Okotoks, and beyond sought by 2015

By Robson Fletcher

Metro

In addition to discussing the south corridor (Okotoks) service, the article also mentions planning for service from Chestermere to Calgary and Strathmore.

Lol. I wonder what the update on this is...

I would have imagined that since they wanted to start it very soon there would be more info, schedules, prices, etc.

However I can't find anything doing a google search so looks like this is gone, maybe a victim of the economic downturn.

I could see the economic downtown for the smaller communities, but for Okotoks, wouldn't it keep continuing (or maybe invoke a study) for a city/town of approximately 25,000 people just a short drive away from the smaller Calgary suburbs of Legacy and Seton?