HandyDart

Blue Bus Fan

The first post makes this thread pointless but another person could take this thread onto a different discussion if they want to which could give this thread a point.

TBH, I think this thread in general is pointless. Do you see any of us talk about the HandyDart service ? Probably not. Shouldn't you take that as an indication that a thread that's devoted to the HandyDarts service is just a waste of a thread ?

I don't see an issue with a HandyDART thread. Even if nobody chooses to give it any attention, it is a part of our transit system and is therefore worthy of recognition. There are plenty of pointless threads nobody seems to take issue with, such as 'Who's Hot' or 'What song is currently stuck in your head?' so I'm dumbfounded by the opposition to this.

• Like 4

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

RFP Q17-025 for additional HandyDART vehicles released on February 27th.

The initial supply of 35 HandyDART vehicles. Delivery of 13 vehicles to arrive no later than December 15, 2017. Options for an additional 123 vehicles.

• 27 Micro Vehicles
  • 8 Midi Vehicles
  • Options for Micro are 70 total, 40 in 2018 and 30 in 2019
  • Options for Midi are 40 total, 20 each for 2018 and 2019

More options later to come I would assume.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Mountie said:

RFP Q17-025 for additional HandyDART vehicles released on February 27th.

The initial supply of 35 HandyDART vehicles. Delivery of 13 vehicles to arrive no later than December 15, 2017. Options for an additional 123 vehicles.

• 27 Micro Vehicles
  • 8 Midi Vehicles
  • Options for Micro are 70 total, 40 in 2018 and 30 in 2019
  • Options for Midi are 40 total, 20 each for 2018 and 2019

More options later to come I would assume.

Yes!!! They are finally ordering Midi's! Of all people, the customers using Handydart are the ones that could use a step-less, stair-less, accessible bus. Hopefully this is an indication of where Community Shuttle is going too.

It would seem that if they keep the limit on passengers with these new buses, a Class 4 would still be the license level required for drivers. Can anyone confirm that is correct?

"Midibus" in this case still refers to a vehicle of 25' length, so about the same size as a Community Shuttle cutaway. No Vicinitys or MiDis here. Though I definitely favour a 30' two-door MiDi as a replacement for the shuttle fleet, especially with TL doing away with the "Community Shuttle" branding. But that's not what this order is for.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GORDOOM said:

"Midibus" in this case still refers to a vehicle of 25' length, so about the same size as a Community Shuttle cutaway. No Vicinitys or MiDis here. Though I definitely favour a 30' two-door MiDi as a replacement for the shuttle fleet, especially with TL doing away with the "Community Shuttle" branding. But that's not what this order is for.

Hmm, I just assumed Mountie meant the Midi buses advertised on the NF website. In any case, it's not the length I think we should care about, but whether or not there are steps for passengers to climb and a complicated lift-ramp to negotiate. If anyone can confirm that the buses in this order will be low-floor and so not have those issues, that would be wonderful!

1 hour ago, Large Cat said:

Hmm, I just assumed Mountie meant the Midi buses advertised on the NF website. In any case, it's not the length I think we should care about, but whether or not there are steps for passengers to climb and a complicated lift-ramp to negotiate. If anyone can confirm that the buses in this order will be low-floor and so not have those issues, that would be wonderful!

Oh no not the NFI MiDi. TransLink refers to a certain HandyDART bus size a Midi. Unsure if the cutaway chassis is low-floor or not, the RFP specifies either a lift or ramp for the mobility aid.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...
38 minutes ago, Matt Dunlop said:

I wonder why HandyDART doesn't use Arbocs over in Vancouver? BC Transit uses Arbocs for HandyDART for the rest of BC. 

What Handydart really needs are some low floor shuttles, like the ones just introduced in West Van. Why should accessible transit be the last division to get accessible buses? I'm sure using the complicated lift system to get people on board, or waiting for people with mobility issues to slowly climb up and down the stairs, doesn't help with the chronic lateness issues.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/28/2017 at 10:32 PM, cmbc2008 said:

New 177xx arrival

474568D6-3693-4251-B575-596E99A112B5.jpeg

80F62B81-E49A-45A5-9B1E-FEED37ADBAEE.jpeg

Looks like they're making a switch from Chevy/GMC to Ford (interesting as the GM products replaced Ford products). Still getting Girardin bodies though, although they appear to be of a somewhat older design I used to see on the Ford E350s and the diesel GM's. They look sorta odd with the modern Transit cab.

Also, they have MVT Canadian Bus branding on them. Is the service still being operated by MVT at this time, or has First already taken over?