Sign in to follow this  
hl7534

Last ever passenger MD-11 flight on Oct 25

The MD-11 will carry revenue passengers for the very last time on Saturday, October 25, with the final two flights leaving from Toronto and Montreal to Amsterdam. Will anyone go out to the airport and witness an important moment in aviation history?

KLM691 will arrive YYZ around 11:30am, and leave around 5:30pm.

KLM671 will arrive YUL around 4:50pm and leave around 7:00pm.

KLM is the last airline to operate the MD-11 in scheduled passenger service.

From the sounds of it there was quite a turnout at AMS today to watch the final departures and the observation deck will be opening up early tomorrow morning for the expected crowds to welcome the flights. Also KLM has scheduled special farewell flights for November 11 for enthusiasts wanting one last ride.

North America, please take note of these events and start realizing that there are many of us who appreciate such gestures

I went out to Pearson today and caught the last MD-11 taking off. It took off on runway 23 going West. I caught it taking off and flying over Dixon Road. Here are three photos from today.

Last KLM MD-11 Pearson.JPG

Last KLM MD-11 Pearson0.JPG

Last KLM MD-11 Pearson1.jpg

I shall be posting a video to Youtube in the afternoon as well.

I went to Pearson yesterday and failed spectacularly at spotting the MD-11. I waited by the Country Style for a while and began to get suspicious about the stunning lack of planes flying overhead. My suspicions proved to be correct when some other spotters pointed it out flying over some buildings, far away. That was the runway over Renforth and Silver Dart. I met another plane enthusiast over there and it was confirmed that I had missed the last MD-11.

I was otherwise engaged in the afternoon so seeing the last take off was not an option. I did learn that for special events like this, arriving well in advance and scoping out the locations where landings are happening is crucial to being able to get photos. However, like with all things, I'd rather have skipped the life lesson and just gotten the photo :rolleyes:

I went to Pearson yesterday and failed spectacularly at spotting the MD-11. I waited by the Country Style for a while and began to get suspicious about the stunning lack of planes flying overhead. My suspicions proved to be correct when some other spotters pointed it out flying over some buildings, far away. That was the runway over Renforth and Silver Dart. I met another plane enthusiast over there and it was confirmed that I had missed the last MD-11.

I was otherwise engaged in the afternoon so seeing the last take off was not an option. I did learn that for special events like this, arriving well in advance and scoping out the locations where landings are happening is crucial to being able to get photos. However, like with all things, I'd rather have skipped the life lesson and just gotten the photo :rolleyes:

Using www.liveatc.net and www.flightradar24.com to see which runways they are using can be helpful.

I went out to Pearson today and caught the last MD-11 taking off. It took off on runway 23 going West. I caught it taking off and flying over Dixon Road. Here are three photos from today.

attachicon.gifLast KLM MD-11 Pearson.JPG

attachicon.gifLast KLM MD-11 Pearson0.JPG

attachicon.gifLast KLM MD-11 Pearson1.jpg

I shall be posting a video to Youtube in the afternoon as well.

Great pictures!

Happy yet sad

I flew that plane a few times from Amsterdam <-----> Montreal. Found this photo which I believe is the first time way back in 2004:

iLGNaPo.jpg?1

I've been fortunate to have been on all of KLM's MD11s - the first was PH-KCA Amy Johnson back in 1995 which I also have a model of so she'll always be my favourite. Between 1997 and 1998 I was on one every second month doing the trek between AMS and YVR other than during the winter schedule when KLM used the B767.

AMS was the place to be in the mid to late 90s if you loved Trijets - KLM, Martainair, Mandarin MD11s - Northwest DC10s - Air Transat, Royal Airlines, Royal Jordanian L1011s ... heaven.