Green Power Bus

It was interesting and disappointing to note that this company, in their BC News Release this week, stated BC Transit was in talks to get the buses on the road in Vancouver for in-service testing. BC Transit does not operate in Vancouver, rather Translink / Coast Mountain Bus Company does. While I definitely appreciate that mistakes and typos happen, misidentification of a customer is actually a pretty big deal and speaks to the preparedness of the company to enter the market.

Hopefully this one blunder is not indicative of their ability to do business well.

Well sorry to offend you... Most "made in China" products I own are not so good, plus why couldn't this have been built in Canada? By the way, "racist" is such a strong word.

You didn't offend me. The 1.2 billion people of China, on the other hand....

And yes, you're right....racist/racism is a strong word. You know what else is? Stereotypes. Look it up.

Dan

You didn't offend me. The 1.2 billion people of China, on the other hand....

And yes, you're right....racist/racism is a strong word. You know what else is? Stereotypes. Look it up.

Dan

I am pretty sure they wouldn't care one bit about my opinions on "Made in China" products.

I wouldn't find that to be stereotypical, as a large amount of "Made in China" products are no good. Not because they were made by Chinese people, but just because the products that come out are usually cheap. Believe me, I love Chinese people and most of my friends in high school were straight from China. Maybe you should calm down a bit.

A new electric bus has made its debut in Canada. The EV350 is a fully electric, low floor transit bus. It is designed for North America and manufactured in China. It appears their partner is Fengtai Bus & Coach,

http://greenpowerbus.com/

bus-white.jpg

http://ftbcibus.com/cn/product/show-209.aspx#.VDxkjRbp_nQ

Looks like Fengtai bus for sure... but not entirely clear on where the powertrain comes from. Fengtai is not a major player in China for transit buses so I'm a little skeptical about this bus.

Edit: Further reading on the internet suggests Fengtai is only 2 years old but one of the major shareholder is BCI Australia so that's probably where the drivetrain is coming from. In fact, Fengtai is basically BCI's only plant now since apparently BCI no longer make buses in Australia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BCI_Bus

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...

b1-clr-0113-bus-jpg.jpg

A new double-decker electric-powered bus will be the “cornerstone” of transportation initiatives for cruise ship passengers pulling into Ogden Point in James Bay this year.

“The objective here is to mitigate the impact, as much as possible, upon the neighbourhood in which we connect through to Ogden Point,” Ian Robertson, president and CEO of the Greater Victoria Harbour Authority, said Tuesday.

“The challenge is finding that economic, social and environmental balance that fits.”

This year, 228 ship visits are scheduled between April 3 and Oct. 28. Most cruise ships serve the Alaska market and many arrive on afternoons and weekends. Neighbours have long complained about noise, emissions, and clogged traffic from buses and other vehicles carrying passengers to downtown and local attractions

The 88-seat bus is being leased for one year by CVS Cruise Victoria, a charter and sightseeing company. CVS has the option to lease the bus for three years and buy it for about $1.2 million US, company spokesman David Roberts said.

The electric bus will supplement the company’s 15-bus fleet, which runs on biodiesel. It will be used in a variety of scenarios, including carrying cruise passengers. Roberts is hoping it arrives before May.

CVS will evaluate the bus, looking at factors such as how far it can travel on one charge, the cost of charging the bus compared with the cost of fuel, as well as evaluating noise and maintenance costs, he said.

“We need to know all the costs versus what we already spend,” Roberts said. “If this is successful, our goal is to modernize our fleet in an environmentally sensitive way. Because this is the first experiment of its kind in Canada, we really need to put it through its paces.”

It is the first purpose-built electric bus to go into regular service in Canada, Fraser Atkinson, chairman of Vancouver-based GreenPower, said.

Now being built in China, final details will be carried out in the U.S. and Canada, he said.

Robertson said other transportation-related improvements include working more closely with cruise lines so that passengers know that they can walk to downtown or elsewhere once they arrive.

This could be accomplished through information posted on cruise companies’ websites, and in information sessions on board for visitors who are not taking tours. More than 100,000 passengers walk rather than take buses each year.

Fees charged to tour operators are also being changed to encourage the use of newer, quieter vehicles with lower emissions, Robertson said. In the past, tour operators were charged $2.05 for every passenger picked up at the terminal. As of this year, that fee is being waived for buses that were built in 2005 and up. The charge rises to $3 for buses 2004 and older.

- See more at: http://www.timescolonist.com/business/electric-bus-to-ease-impact-on-cruise-routes-in-james-bay-1.2149634?ct=t%28GreenPower+Featured+in+Times+Colonist%E2%80%8F%29#sthash.7qfbFKAv.dpu

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
  • Board Admin

GreenPower Motor Co. Inc. received a purchase order for two of its EV550 all-electric double-decker buses from CVS Tours Ltd., a Canadian motor coach company. The purchase order follows a successful pilot project between GreenPower, CVS Tours, and the Greater Victoria Harbor Authority, in which GreenPower deployed its first all-electric double decker bus on the basis of a one-year lease.

http://www.metro-magazine.com/sustainability/news/726508/greenpower-recieves-purchase-order-for-2-all-electric-double-deck-coaches

• 5 months later...
  • Board Admin

GreenPower Motor Co. will have its Synapse All-Electric Shuttle Bus on display at the Advanced Clean Transportation (ACT) Expo in Long Beach, Calif., from May 1 to 2. Prospective customers can schedule a private demonstration (ride-and-drive) that will take place the two days preceding the event.

Part of GreenPower’s high-floor Synapse line of products, the Synapse Shuttle is the world’s first purpose-built, battery-powered shuttle vehicle, seating up to 48 passengers and boasting a long-range capacity of over 200 miles on a single charge. The bus will be on display at the GreenPower booth, where attendees of the ACT Expo can closely inspect the vehicle.

http://www.metro-magazine.com/sustainability/news/729577/greenpower-to-debut-all-electric-shuttle-bus

Also, I saw one of their service trucks when I was in Victoria, BC (California plated!):

30771797_10160352295720083_30298771_o.jpg

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • Board Admin

GreenPower Motor Co. Inc.’s manufacturing facility in Porterville, California is ready for production. In August 2018, the company entered into a four-year lease with a three-year option for a facility with over 50,000 square feet in Porterville as a manufacturing and assembly center.

GreenPower has now set up this facility for production of EV Stars and the EV Star Plus models.

http://www.metro-magazine.com/management-operations/news/732233/greenpower-s-manufacturing-facility-set-for-production

• 3 months later...
  • Board Admin

GreenPower Motor Company Inc. delivered three EV350 all-electric transit buses to the City of Porterville, California, for total revenue of $2.5 million. This brings the city’s electric bus fleet to eight EV350’s, which have replaced Porterville’s existing CNG-powered transit buses.

GreenPower has substantially completed the final two EV350 all-electric transit buses for Porterville’s 10 bus order, which are set for delivery to the City in the next quarter.

https://www.metro-magazine.com/technology/news/733557/greenpower-delivers-3-more-electric-vehicles-to-the-city-of-porterville

• Thanks 2

• 3 months later...
  • Board Admin

GreenPower Motor Company Inc. delivered the first two EV Star All-Electric Min-eBuses (EV Stars) to Creative Bus Sales, with 10 additional EV Stars to be delivered during the next two weeks. As previously announced, GreenPower received an order in 2018 for 100 buses from Creative, the nation’s largest bus dealer for sales, parts, and service.

https://www.metro-magazine.com/zero-emissions/news/734918/greenpower-delivers-first-ev-stars-to-creative-bus-sales

• 7 months later...