Collisions and Incidents thread

Express691

3 hours ago, Citaro said:

Can you elaborate on your objection? I recognize that laser sensors can detect an intrusion sooner, but does that make it any more effective? I know that some people survive these incidents, however I question whether or not any difference in outcome can be attributed to the intrusion system.

The pressure plates aren’t always effective. If they’re supposed to be able to detect soda cans why couldn’t it detect a dog (I believe it was a German shepherd, could be wrong, just stating that it wasn’t a small dog) on the tracks at Nanaimo Station? This was a few years back but I know that the trains are supposed to be able to stop almost suddenly as I’ve experienced this on all three lines. Those extra few seconds can easily determine life or death/serious harm. I don’t know just how ineffective the pressure plates are as I’m fairly certain things aren’t constantly landing on the tracks and triggering the track intrusion. Of course it is entirely possible that the individual was struck by the train at the platform.

• 1 month later...
29 minutes ago, captaintrolley said:

Perhaps excessive sag due to the heat.

Yes right on. I did the 41 today and the wires along 41st Ave is sagging quite a bit, I saw several 41's and NIS trolleys dewired today. I kept my speed down and had no issues.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Express691 said:

Earlier wire issues downtown resulted in stranded 5 6 and 19 service in the downtown core

Issue was (at least partially) with the Haro rectifier station where Smithe becomes Haro, which was producing no power 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, FL04DIFN said:

7409 MVC on Granville and King Ed on July 16

Well... the transmission has been not great for over a year, that unit seems to have a difficult time changing gears, I noticed 7439 is starting to have similar issues as well but not as bad. I wouldn’t be surprised if 7409 gets retired, hopefully they’ll pull out one of the old DD50 training units to replace it (if they even bother replacing it) but they’d probably use one of the ISL units first.

• Sad 1

13 minutes ago, Express691 said:

Gongshow this afternoon on the north shore as we have incidents in the Cassiar tunnel as well as on the Lions Gate

SeaBus terminals are logjammed

Then another crash just outside lonsdale quay

I like how people forget how to drive in the rain or snow when there hasn’t been any precipitation for awhile.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, 8010 said:

I like how people forget how to drive in the rain or snow when there hasn’t been any precipitation for awhile.

I've noticed a lot more traffic in the Lower Mainland in the last few weeks. I think this has been contributed by more visitors vacationing in the Lower Mainland due to the Forest Fires & High Covid cases in the Interior & Okanagan.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, dover5949 said:

I've noticed a lot more traffic in the Lower Mainland in the last few weeks. I think this has been contributed by more visitors vacationing in the Lower Mainland due to the Forest Fires & High Covid cases in the Interior & Okanagan.

The forest fires and tourists are understandable, the COVID case hysteria isn’t, but I think you’re probably right that some people are probably trying to escape the case numbers in the interior even though no one is really looking at the fact that the death count isn’t mirroring the case count like it was last year.

13 hours ago, 8010 said:

The forest fires and tourists are understandable, the COVID case hysteria isn’t, but I think you’re probably right that some people are probably trying to escape the case numbers in the interior even though no one is really looking at the fact that the death count isn’t mirroring the case count like it was last year.

The availability of vaccines is helping soften the blow so that's why fewer people are dying this year. They did say at one point that it wouldn't be as bad if 70% of the population received two doses and we are currently somewhere around that figure.

4 hours ago, Express691 said:

9570 getting driven to Richmond Steel for scrapping

unknown-6.thumb.png.0d6f33c9ce457ba6ec3ce677a9b1192d.png

Jk buses cant get through due to a truck fire on the knight street bridge

Happened to pass by the other direction right as that was happening

image.thumb.jpeg.24056a6201209a33bb268d2f38b97a2d.jpeg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

The PM rush hour was a bit of a disaster in Vancouver today.  There was a protest march on Broadway, so the 9 and 99 were on detour between Cambie and Oak and were horribly off schedule and coming in packs.  There was a lot of traffic congestion around Marine Dr and the Arthur Liang Bridge, so the 10 and 17 were terminating at Marpole Loop, while the 100 was terminating at Marine Dr Stn, and there were alerts that all three routes were experiencing delays of 40 to 60 minutes.  And there was an MVA somewhere in East Van that resulted in alerts for 40 to 60 minute delays on the 20,41,49 and R4.

• Like 2

I Dont talk about elevators much but the Main Street East elevator experienced an electrical short and subsequent fire this evening.

In other news there were hydro wires down this morning which caused detours for the 44 and 84 in Chancellor Blvd area.