Jump to content

Collisions and Incidents thread


Express691
 Share

Recommended Posts

9 hours ago, Express691 said:

Langara-49th experienced some sort of fire event which resulted in a "partial" closure this afternoon. Not sure about bus bridges but trains were running through without stopping.

There was a bus bridge between Marine and Oakridge, I saw an XDE60 leaving Marine when that happened.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

There was a car accident on Yukon just south of Marine Dr this evening, that resulted in a handful of buses having to go south on Cambie St and enter Marine Dr Station through the exit before it was realised that the accident the NB lanes, and buses could enter the station from Yukon SB normally.  EB 3's and 100's still had to exit the station onto Cambie St and then east on Marine Dr.  It was interesting to see buses make the turn from EB Marine Dr to SB Cambie.

IMG_5054.thumb.JPG.801f58f63750a9b005feb3cbdc7f0edb.JPG

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Had an eventful day while trying to find TCG stock:

Expo Line had delays this morning around Columbia. I was on the first train after it cleared. God-uncomfortable prepandemic crushloads combined with the train glitching and not opening the doors at Columbia (these Mk2.5s are cursed I swear)

Later on the 595 I was on the first bus on a blockage at 208th street southbound. We ended up going R 74B, L 206A st, L 72nd (206A was clearly not wide enough to fit a full sized XN40). I had the chance to play pretend supervisor but I stepped back and let other passengers do it. (I would have suggested to continue 74B and left 202).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

All expo line trains smell like smoke today from a building fire near Columbia Station - the 4th street exit remains open while the main exit has been closed.

Early on in the fire the station was closed, forcing trains to skip the station.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Express691 said:

2237 involved in a head-on collision with an unmarked cruiser. 

(Some of you think it will be scrapped as with every time a bus gets into a major accident, which we *Stress* - it won't)

https://www.citynews1130.com/video/2021/06/05/head-on-collision-involving-an-unmarked-police-vehicle-and-a-bus/

Damage doesn’t even look bad judging from what I can see.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Express691 said:

2237 involved in a head-on collision with an unmarked cruiser. 

(Some of you think it will be scrapped as with every time a bus gets into a major accident, which we *Stress* - it won't)

https://www.citynews1130.com/video/2021/06/05/head-on-collision-involving-an-unmarked-police-vehicle-and-a-bus/

Update:

The two officers had to be extracted out of the carnage and both suffered broken legs. On the other hand, the operator and 3 passengers are okay.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
On 6/26/2021 at 8:42 PM, Express691 said:

Stalled train between Columbia and Sapperton seems to be taking forever to clear

The only issue I can think of is a heat related issue

Update: reports say theres a cable failure

Same area affected through much of Sunday, but unsure if it was the same problem

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Express691 said:

Same area affected through much of Sunday, but unsure if it was the same problem

Out of curiosity, does anyone know just how neglected the Expo Line has been when it comes to maintenance and overall upgrades? We have pressure plates that may or may not work (they can supposedly detect soda cans yet they couldn’t detect a dog at Nanaimo Stn a few years back) as track intrusion, stations that still aren’t fully-sheltered, and majority of the problems on the Expo/Millennium system tends to happen along the Expo Line. I could be wrong, but I could’ve sworn there was an article about a piece of the SkyBridge falling into the river a few years back.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, 8010 said:

I could be wrong, but I could’ve sworn there was an article about a piece of the SkyBridge falling into the river a few years back.

I think you’re mistaking the SkyBridge with the Pattullo bridge. The Burrard and Granville bridges had this problem before too.

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/mobile/crumbling-pattullo-bridge-renews-replacement-calls-1.1635210

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Citaro said:

I think you’re mistaking the SkyBridge with the Pattullo bridge. The Burrard and Granville bridges had this problem before too.

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/mobile/crumbling-pattullo-bridge-renews-replacement-calls-1.1635210

Yeah, I knew it was one of the bridges in New West, thought it was the SkyBridge for some reason. Thanks for clearing that up.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/28/2021 at 3:52 AM, 8010 said:

Out of curiosity, does anyone know just how neglected the Expo Line has been when it comes to maintenance and overall upgrades? We have pressure plates that may or may not work (they can supposedly detect soda cans yet they couldn’t detect a dog at Nanaimo Stn a few years back) as track intrusion, stations that still aren’t fully-sheltered, and majority of the problems on the Expo/Millennium system tends to happen along the Expo Line. I could be wrong, but I could’ve sworn there was an article about a piece of the SkyBridge falling into the river a few years back.

I doubt that's the issue. The heat is a nightmare for power infrastructure that wasn't designed for it. The entire Portland Streetcar is shut down for the same reason.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, GORDOOM said:

I doubt that's the issue. The heat is a nightmare for power infrastructure that wasn't designed for it. The entire Portland Streetcar is shut down for the same reason.

Then upgrade it? The infrastructure is over 30 years and it shows.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Express691 said:

Human contact with train on the evening of July 8th at Royal Oak.

no single tracking - Metrotown-Waterfront then 22nd to King George/Production Way

Bus bridge Metrotown-RoyalOak-22nd
 

But yes, let’s keep the pressure plates as the track intrusion system for the busiest rapid transit line in western Canada and not upgrade to laser guideway intrusion like the Canada and Millennium Lines (and the Production Way branch). “State of good repair.” 👍

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, 8010 said:

But yes, let’s keep the pressure plates as the track intrusion system for the busiest rapid transit line in western Canada and not upgrade to laser guideway intrusion like the Canada and Millennium Lines (and the Production Way branch). “State of good repair.” 👍

Can you elaborate on your objection? I recognize that laser sensors can detect an intrusion sooner, but does that make it any more effective? I know that some people survive these incidents, however I question whether or not any difference in outcome can be attributed to the intrusion system.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...