Express691

Collisions and Incidents thread

9 minutes ago, 8010 said:

Couldn't they have just unloaded in the trolley loop and layover somewhere else? I'm not sure if Student Union Blvd has reopened yet but that would've helped a bit if it was.

The trolley loop was full of trolleys and some 99s turning around. 44s, 84s, 68s unloaded at Student Union. Some 49s and R4s were able to turn into University. Everything else was backed up.

EDIT: Some 44s and 84s are leaving via University.

Expo Line is experiencing delays due to track issue near Stadium Stn. Trains single tracking between Main & Commercial-Broadway Stn. Bus Bridge from Waterfront & Commercial-Broadway. Canada & Millennium Line unaffected.

Affected stops:
Waterfront Station
Burrard Station
Granville Station
Stadium-Chinatown Station
Main Street-Science World Station
Commercial-Broadway Station

Trolley overhead has come down on Kingsway between Boundary & Patterson. So far book h out for the 19 is diesels. Kingsway is also closed to traffic. 19 is on detour both directions boundary, imperial willingdon then central Blvd 

4 hours ago, Express691 said:

Expo Skytrain normal service to Stadium, then waterfront -> Stadium wingle tracking shuttle.

Is the switch problem an “again” or a “still”?

2 hours ago, GORDOOM said:

Is the switch problem an “again” or a “still”?

A discussion I was in mentioned calcium buildup on the outbound tracks inside the tunnel

6 hours ago, Express691 said:

A discussion I was in mentioned calcium buildup on the outbound tracks inside the tunnel

If I may ask a question out of pure curiosity, how would calcium build up on the tracks? I know nothing about molecular chemistry so I'd like to know

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, bob32189 said:

If I may ask a question out of pure curiosity, how would calcium build up on the tracks? I know nothing about molecular chemistry so I'd like to know

Well there's so much maintenance that can happen nightly. But I'm definitely wanting to know also

• Like 2

On 1/17/2020 at 9:45 PM, bob32189 said:

On 1/17/2020 at 10:16 PM, Busmanic92 said:

Well there's so much maintenance that can happen nightly. But I'm definitely wanting to know also

So here’s how it works; over time, rainwater will soak through the concrete, and overtime you get what are called calthemite https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calthemite

F1696619-7F5E-45FA-B800-96FEB9A9D5EA.thumb.jpeg.9eaf378ceaa19d24356d4c1470f4d4a0.jpeg 

Which results in the white staining you often see in subway tunnels and sometimes even stalagmites due to the calcium in the cement. If you want to see this all in person, if you check out Burrard and Granville. Look up in the WB platform and on the walls in the EB direction. The white cracking in the walls and ceiling, is the same effect but in person. As well, look under the Edmonds passenger overpass, there might be a few Calthemites hanging under the overpass. Assuming nothing has been changed or cleaned. 

• Like 4

19 hours ago, translink said:

So here’s how it works; at the underpass at Edmonds; over time, rainwater will soak through the concrete, and overtime you get what are called calthemite https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calthemite

F1696619-7F5E-45FA-B800-96FEB9A9D5EA.thumb.jpeg.9eaf378ceaa19d24356d4c1470f4d4a0.jpeg 

Which results in the white staining you often see in subway tunnels and sometimes even stalagmites due to the calcium in the cement. If you want to see this all in person, if you check out Burrard and Granville. Look up in the WB platform and on the walls in the EB direction. The white cracking in the walls and ceiling, is the same effect but in person. As well, look under the Edmonds passenger overpass, there might be a few Calthemites hanging under the overpass. Assuming nothing has been changed or cleaned. 

Thanks for the insightful response! I didn't know about that effect. 

• Like 2

As per alerts page:

"

Due to mechanical issues, Train 1, 5:25 AM departure from Mission City Station and Train 2, 4:20 PM departure from Waterfront Station will be cancelled from Mon, Jan 20, until Fri, Jan 24.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause, and we understand the impact this will have to some of our daily customers. We are hoping to return to our regular service schedules by the end of the week. During this period, West Coast Express will be adding capacity by increasing the number of cars on our 8 car train to 10."

https://alerts.translink.ca/

"SeaBus sailings will temporarily occur every 15 minutes during peak periods while the Burrard Otter II undergoes maintenance work. This is a temporary change from the current weekday peak schedule of departures occurring every 10 minutes."

SEABUS%20FEB%203-7.png

9 hours ago, Express691 said:

"SeaBus sailings will temporarily occur every 15 minutes during peak periods while the Burrard Otter II undergoes maintenance work. This is a temporary change from the current weekday peak schedule of departures occurring every 10 minutes."

SEABUS%20FEB%203-7.png

Then why didn't translink just not retire the Burrard beaver They could get more seabus service

On 1/29/2020 at 8:18 AM, KenrichYT said:

Then why didn't translink just not retire the Burrard beaver They could get more seabus service

Maintenance costs, it costs a lot of money to maintain an old vessel.

Due to a Technical issue service on the Expo line Skytrain is temporarily not operating between Edmonds & Waterfront Station. A Bus Bridge is in place between Edmonds & Waterfront Stations. 

33 minutes ago, dover5949 said:

Due to a Technical issue service on the Expo line Skytrain is temporarily not operating between Edmonds & Waterfront Station. A Bus Bridge is in place between Edmonds & Waterfront Stations. 

Update full service has been restored to the Expo Line

Due to a blockade at Renfrew & Hebb St the 16's destined to 29th Ave. Station are being Terminating at Boundary Loop. Shuttle operating via Boundary Loop to Nanaimo, Grandview Hwy, Renfrew to 29th Ave. Stn

switch issues on the Production branch this evening: Started around 2:30pm and still ongoing

-All expo line trains are WF to king george, and then you have the turnback shuttles from Production way to Columbia.

On 2/13/2020 at 8:05 PM, dover5949 said:

All West Coast Express was cancelled this evening. Service is cancelled for tomorrow due to all 5 trains stuck at Waterfront Station

This evening is round 2