Collisions and Incidents thread

Express691

6 hours ago, Unloading Only said:

. Also, the train I was on announced "This is a Millennium Line train to Production Way-University" at Patterson and Metrotown, which I thought was a bit amusing. I assume this was turned on this morning because of the single tracking, and the incorrect line announcement is an artifact from the old service pattern. And apologies for the double post.

Earlier this year I got on a VCC Clark train at Metrotown and hearing " This is a Expo Line train to VCC Clark " was strange but cool to hear. I thought it was just a glitch but the train actually went to VCC Clark. It was really weird riding a 6 car MK 1 set on the Millennium Line. 

10 hours ago, Ninja Bus Fan said:

Earlier this year I got on a VCC Clark train at Metrotown and hearing " This is a Expo Line train to VCC Clark " was strange but cool to hear. I thought it was just a glitch but the train actually went to VCC Clark. It was really weird riding a 6 car MK 1 set on the Millennium Line. 

Was this during one of those "modified service" things for maintainance?

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, ThomasW97 said:

With those bays so cramped and arctics serving each of them, it was just a matter of time 

Probably a preventable for the driver ☹️

I took this yesterday evening, someone messed up and turned too soon. 😮

20181001_194717 (2).jpg

6 hours ago, Ninja Bus Fan said:

Basically ^^ So don’t worry. I did went by HTC earlier and did not see 16120 their tho, but did see 7115 parked in the BO tracks. 

I rode 7115 for the first time a week ago after it ended up back at HTC. Glad I took the chance while I had it. It sounded in quite good shape then, better than most D40LF. According to T-Comm it was last seen at 6:20pm today, so I guess you saw it sometime between then and 7:30?

6 hours ago, Unloading Only said:

I rode 7115 for the first time a week ago after it ended up back at HTC. Glad I took the chance while I had it. It sounded in quite good shape then, better than most D40LF. According to T-Comm it was last seen at 6:20pm today, so I guess you saw it sometime between then and 7:30?

7115 never made it out yesterday (Friday).  TComm last saw it at 1820 on Thursday, October 4.  

• Like 1

Traffic accident on the Lions Gate Bridge a short time ago has messed up traffic in Downtown as well as the 2nd Narrows. Obviously bus routes that serve both bridges are severely delayed as well including the 005, 006 & 019 in Downtown .I've seen several 005, 006 & 019's all bunched up with some running as 5-6 together within a few blocks of each others. Excluding the 257 which will have maximum capacity due to walk on traffic at Horseshoe Bay & vice versa to Downtown why do road supervisors allow these buses to all bunch up & not short turn them to try & get the service back onto schedule again? I'm not just talking today I've seen happened several times before in the past.

4 hours ago, dover5949 said:

Traffic accident on the Lions Gate Bridge a short time ago has messed up traffic in Downtown as well as the 2nd Narrows. Obviously bus routes that serve both bridges are severely delayed as well including the 005, 006 & 019 in Downtown .I've seen several 005, 006 & 019's all bunched up with some running as 5-6 together within a few blocks of each others. Excluding the 257 which will have maximum capacity due to walk on traffic at Horseshoe Bay & vice versa to Downtown why do road supervisors allow these buses to all bunch up & not short turn them to try & get the service back onto schedule again? I'm not just talking today I've seen happened several times before in the past.

Well, they did have all 19's start looping Downtown instead of having them go into Stanley Park.  The reality is when incidents like this happen, especially when they happen in a high traffic, congested area like Georgia St/Lions Gate Bridge, the delays can happen so quickly that some buses can get stuck before anything can be done or anyone realises what's going on.  This is one of the reasons a lot of the long routes are being split up.  As for the 5/6, they are a special case.  They are short routes, with no viable short turn locations.  With the 19, short turning Downtown meant that service on Kingsway could be maintained.  However, if you sent a 5/6 up Granville or Burrard to short turn, you would miss the majority of the route where most of the ridership is.  You would wind up running empty buses just to get them on time, meeting a performance metric while providing worse service on the street.  As well, even if the buses are bunched out one way, they may be getting broken up and spread out.  For instance, if they are multiple 19's the first one might get short turned at Sloan, the second at Joyce with the third going to Metrotown.  Spreading out the service eastbound would then result in an even longer gap past the short turn point(s). 

• Like 1

Gonna spark this discussion:

The pipeline explosion in Prince George may or may not have an effect on CNG buses, at least thru tomorrow. 

TransLink, and further public transit, is not considered as an "essential service" which contradicts this claim made on a Global BC article.
https://globalnews.ca/news/4535457/bc-natural-gas-conservation-explosion/

"However, there is one organization that won’t be paring back gas usage.

TransLink says it won’t be scaling back the use of buses that run on compressed natural gas, calling them part of an essential service."

Sound Transit has set up an immediate action plan for reduced CNG usage. 
https://m.soundtransit.org/node/19153

48 minutes ago, Express691 said:

Gonna spark this discussion:

The pipeline explosion in Prince George may or may not have an effect on CNG buses, at least thru tomorrow. 

TransLink, and further public transit, is not considered as an "essential service" which contradicts this claim made on a Global BC article.
https://globalnews.ca/news/4535457/bc-natural-gas-conservation-explosion/

Sound Transit has set up an immediate action plan for reduced CNG usage. 
https://m.soundtransit.org/node/19153

I was wondering about that. I guess there's no way there is enough spare diesels to cover for the CNG buses. So, if the gas runs out... we just get a big (temporary) service cut? Also, does this mean every restaurant in Metro Vancouver will be closed?

Fortis says one of the two pipelines is back online now, so hopefully that means no gas shortage, though. See https://www.fortisbc.com/NaturalGas/Alerts/Pages/Service-Alert.aspx

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/23/2018 at 5:18 PM, dover5949 said:

B8152 involved in a head on MVA WB Hastings just before Holdom. Looks like a SUV crossed the centre line where the impact occurred. Driver in the SUV had to have CPR performed at the scene. MVA just took place a few mins after 4pm this afternoon.

That bus is now back in service, however, it's BOed 3 times today on 3 different runs.

• Like 1