Collisions and Incidents thread

Express691

Err. It has happened in the past on the Expo Line...
Unfortunately, Google's historical search function is broken on my computer, and I can't dig up the right links...

Some new videos from "Nick Chen" have appeared indicating that the anomaly started as the train was entering Aberdeen... perhaps the contact shoe on the right side (while facing the front) was loose or damaged.

None of these are my videos and I don't take credit for them; I'm just finding them on YouTube as we speak...

• 2 weeks later...

There is a medical emergency at Surrey Central. It happened at around 15:15 January 3. The station was closed and there is a bus bridge set.

I was caught up at Waterfront for a good 10 minutes aboard unit 137.

Train held up at the WB side. Likely a suicide.

I remember an almost identical incident happened on the curve before New West Station (outbound, eastbound). I'd like to say August 25, 2013, but I can't remember off hand. I will try to check twitter since people were on Translink complaining. I had the radio on as this one happened as wasn't affected by it -- the Canada Line one affected me. Luckily I wasn't on the affected train, just trying to board a train at Brighouse.

The train apparently hit something unknown (later determined to be the power rail clip), then started sparking, then timed out just entering New West Station. The guideway personnel went in to fix what they thought was the problem, and then another train hit the same thing and did the same thing. Result - system down from 5:30 to end of service on a game night.

Was it this one on April 25th?

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Power+rail+problem+halts+SkyTrain+service+Westminster/8297144/story.html

It probably depends on the station it happens at, and if they have an easy way to single track during the incident, also the time of day.

It would seem fairly easy to keep service running at Surrey Central at the time on weekend frequency. You'd send the train to outbound SC to inbound KG, back to outbound SC to GW inbound. The next train at GW outbound would probably only be waiting around 30-60 seconds at the switch before it can continue to SC outbound.

It's when a problem train or other incident happens somewhere in the middle of the system (like Metrotown or Gilmore) that it becomes a lot harder to keep things running. More so when it's peak hour.

Today I was on a problem train at Commercial Drive inbound platform. While they were fixing it they cut off service to VCC-Clark and ran the trains Renfrew Inbound, Commercial Outbound, Renfrew Outbound.

Much easier to bypass from problems when it happens at/near the end of a line.

• 2 weeks later...

Hope this is the right thread for this.

Anyway, my Facebook feed is littered with posts about this bus, looks like it was a 135 headed to SFU in midday. It also appears to be a DE60LFR. Anyone know what's going on here? Apparently the general consensus was that it stank pretty badly, and the lights were also smoking... (I'm guessing interior?). It looks like coolant to me, possibly an overheating engine climbing up the hill. Perhaps the coolant in the top tank on the rear section of the bus also sprang a leak? Just guessing, I'm sure some of the more knowledgeable folks would know more around here. Thought I'd post it since I'm interested, and it does look pretty nasty.

Photos are not mine.

10945593_10152977420877159_9068740431703

10734277_633958666731464_790850540802188

Well since Im the one that made this thread, Ill explain.

I intended this thread to be created after the incident of R8055 and the skytrain shutdowns. But afterwards, the other members suggested that this thread be only for skytrain, since the bus reports already fell under general sightings.

Well since Im the one that made this thread, Ill explain.

I intended this thread to be created after the incident of R8055 and the skytrain shutdowns. But afterwards, the other members suggested that this thread be only for skytrain, since the bus reports already fell under general sightings.

The two members who made that suggestion do not speak for the majority. Unless others want to come forward and oppose the inclusion of buses in this thread, I believe that it should be allowed. The title does not discriminate against what kind of vehicles can be mentioned here, thus I believe that limiting it to SkyTrain is uncalled for.

Judging by the first photo, this occurred at Kensington, well before the steep incline to SFU (I can see the Shell gas station in the background).

Hope this is the right thread for this.

Anyway, my Facebook feed is littered with posts about this bus, looks like it was a 135 headed to SFU in midday. It also appears to be a DE60LFR. Anyone know what's going on here? Apparently the general consensus was that it stank pretty badly, and the lights were also smoking... (I'm guessing interior?). It looks like coolant to me, possibly an overheating engine climbing up the hill. Perhaps the coolant in the top tank on the rear section of the bus also sprang a leak? Just guessing, I'm sure some of the more knowledgeable folks would know more around here. Thought I'd post it since I'm interested, and it does look pretty nasty.

Photos are not mine.

-Snip-

My goodness that's a lot of coolant....Your suggestion might be right. My assumption: Probably a coolant hose bursted while feeding the cooling fan in the rear section of the bus. The location of it looks like the same location of the cover for it on the roof to the passenger side.

In regards to what happened with 8155 yesterday, I just received this email from TRAMS (Dale Laird)...

8121 is currently dead on side of Gaglardi Way half way from SFU to Production Stn., when passengers complained to driver about their feet getting wet with green fluid, so driver stopped immediately instead of continuing to Production. Now waiting for rescue bus of which all are full at this time of day. Driver would not let passengers out on the busy road. That'll teach you for complaining. Green stuff will be coolant from a body heat pipe/hose. There is something like 100 litres of coolant in a bus. Bus probably could have made it down the hill. If all coolant was lost, the engine would have shut down on its own. A tour bus driver would have simply gone to the rear and shut off the body heat valve, to retain the coolant in the engine. Or maybe a Roadie will arrive with more coolant. Passengers can then continue on the same bus while breathing in the toxic anti-freeze.

Just what was reported to me.