Collisions and Incidents thread

Express691

Had an eventful day while trying to find TCG stock:

Expo Line had delays this morning around Columbia. I was on the first train after it cleared. God-uncomfortable prepandemic crushloads combined with the train glitching and not opening the doors at Columbia (these Mk2.5s are cursed I swear)

Later on the 595 I was on the first bus on a blockage at 208th street southbound. We ended up going R 74B, L 206A st, L 72nd (206A was clearly not wide enough to fit a full sized XN40). I had the chance to play pretend supervisor but I stepped back and let other passengers do it. (I would have suggested to continue 74B and left 202).

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

All expo line trains smell like smoke today from a building fire near Columbia Station - the 4th street exit remains open while the main exit has been closed.

Early on in the fire the station was closed, forcing trains to skip the station.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Express691 said:

2237 involved in a head-on collision with an unmarked cruiser. 

(Some of you think it will be scrapped as with every time a bus gets into a major accident, which we *Stress* - it won't)

https://www.citynews1130.com/video/2021/06/05/head-on-collision-involving-an-unmarked-police-vehicle-and-a-bus/

Damage doesn’t even look bad judging from what I can see.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Express691 said:

2237 involved in a head-on collision with an unmarked cruiser. 

(Some of you think it will be scrapped as with every time a bus gets into a major accident, which we *Stress* - it won't)

https://www.citynews1130.com/video/2021/06/05/head-on-collision-involving-an-unmarked-police-vehicle-and-a-bus/

Update:

The two officers had to be extracted out of the carnage and both suffered broken legs. On the other hand, the operator and 3 passengers are okay.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/26/2021 at 8:42 PM, Express691 said:

Stalled train between Columbia and Sapperton seems to be taking forever to clear

The only issue I can think of is a heat related issue

Update: reports say theres a cable failure

Same area affected through much of Sunday, but unsure if it was the same problem

4 hours ago, Express691 said:

Same area affected through much of Sunday, but unsure if it was the same problem

Out of curiosity, does anyone know just how neglected the Expo Line has been when it comes to maintenance and overall upgrades? We have pressure plates that may or may not work (they can supposedly detect soda cans yet they couldn’t detect a dog at Nanaimo Stn a few years back) as track intrusion, stations that still aren’t fully-sheltered, and majority of the problems on the Expo/Millennium system tends to happen along the Expo Line. I could be wrong, but I could’ve sworn there was an article about a piece of the SkyBridge falling into the river a few years back.

4 hours ago, 8010 said:

I could be wrong, but I could’ve sworn there was an article about a piece of the SkyBridge falling into the river a few years back.

I think you’re mistaking the SkyBridge with the Pattullo bridge. The Burrard and Granville bridges had this problem before too.

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/mobile/crumbling-pattullo-bridge-renews-replacement-calls-1.1635210

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Citaro said:

I think you’re mistaking the SkyBridge with the Pattullo bridge. The Burrard and Granville bridges had this problem before too.

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/mobile/crumbling-pattullo-bridge-renews-replacement-calls-1.1635210

Yeah, I knew it was one of the bridges in New West, thought it was the SkyBridge for some reason. Thanks for clearing that up.

• Like 1

On 6/28/2021 at 3:52 AM, 8010 said:

Out of curiosity, does anyone know just how neglected the Expo Line has been when it comes to maintenance and overall upgrades? We have pressure plates that may or may not work (they can supposedly detect soda cans yet they couldn’t detect a dog at Nanaimo Stn a few years back) as track intrusion, stations that still aren’t fully-sheltered, and majority of the problems on the Expo/Millennium system tends to happen along the Expo Line. I could be wrong, but I could’ve sworn there was an article about a piece of the SkyBridge falling into the river a few years back.

I doubt that's the issue. The heat is a nightmare for power infrastructure that wasn't designed for it. The entire Portland Streetcar is shut down for the same reason.

26 minutes ago, GORDOOM said:

I doubt that's the issue. The heat is a nightmare for power infrastructure that wasn't designed for it. The entire Portland Streetcar is shut down for the same reason.

Then upgrade it? The infrastructure is over 30 years and it shows.

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Express691 said:

Human contact with train on the evening of July 8th at Royal Oak.

no single tracking - Metrotown-Waterfront then 22nd to King George/Production Way

Bus bridge Metrotown-RoyalOak-22nd

But yes, let’s keep the pressure plates as the track intrusion system for the busiest rapid transit line in western Canada and not upgrade to laser guideway intrusion like the Canada and Millennium Lines (and the Production Way branch). “State of good repair.” ?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 8010 said:

But yes, let’s keep the pressure plates as the track intrusion system for the busiest rapid transit line in western Canada and not upgrade to laser guideway intrusion like the Canada and Millennium Lines (and the Production Way branch). “State of good repair.” ?

Can you elaborate on your objection? I recognize that laser sensors can detect an intrusion sooner, but does that make it any more effective? I know that some people survive these incidents, however I question whether or not any difference in outcome can be attributed to the intrusion system.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Citaro said:

Can you elaborate on your objection? I recognize that laser sensors can detect an intrusion sooner, but does that make it any more effective? I know that some people survive these incidents, however I question whether or not any difference in outcome can be attributed to the intrusion system.

The pressure plates aren’t always effective. If they’re supposed to be able to detect soda cans why couldn’t it detect a dog (I believe it was a German shepherd, could be wrong, just stating that it wasn’t a small dog) on the tracks at Nanaimo Station? This was a few years back but I know that the trains are supposed to be able to stop almost suddenly as I’ve experienced this on all three lines. Those extra few seconds can easily determine life or death/serious harm. I don’t know just how ineffective the pressure plates are as I’m fairly certain things aren’t constantly landing on the tracks and triggering the track intrusion. Of course it is entirely possible that the individual was struck by the train at the platform.

• 1 month later...
29 minutes ago, captaintrolley said:

Perhaps excessive sag due to the heat.

Yes right on. I did the 41 today and the wires along 41st Ave is sagging quite a bit, I saw several 41's and NIS trolleys dewired today. I kept my speed down and had no issues.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Express691 said:

Earlier wire issues downtown resulted in stranded 5 6 and 19 service in the downtown core

Issue was (at least partially) with the Haro rectifier station where Smithe becomes Haro, which was producing no power 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, FL04DIFN said:

7409 MVC on Granville and King Ed on July 16

Well... the transmission has been not great for over a year, that unit seems to have a difficult time changing gears, I noticed 7439 is starting to have similar issues as well but not as bad. I wouldn’t be surprised if 7409 gets retired, hopefully they’ll pull out one of the old DD50 training units to replace it (if they even bother replacing it) but they’d probably use one of the ISL units first.

• Sad 1