2015 60' Articulated Bus Order (Diesel or Diesel/Electric Hyrbid)

323 Surrey Ctrl Stn

Posted this on Dec 30th in the retirement thread

It's been sitting there for 2 weeks after getting repaired (new headlights). Guess they realized the new order won't be seeing service for a bit longer?

You are assuming, again, that the only defects on the coach are the ones you can see. The bus certainly wasn't out of service for weeks because it needed only headlights ... and obviously it wasn't ready for service (nor was it "partially stored") once the headlights were installed.

There are thousands of defect possibilities that could hold a coach out of service for a period of time that long. Typically, the driving factor, however is availability of shop labor hours. If it needs a lot of labor hours to make the repair, the foreman will typically prioritize many smaller repairs on other coaches because that decision will be effective of meeting the daily sign out.

You are assuming, again, that the only defects on the coach are the ones you can see. The bus certainly wasn't out of service for weeks because it needed only headlights ... and obviously it wasn't ready for service (nor was it "partially stored") once the headlights were installed.

There are thousands of defect possibilities that could hold a coach out of service for a period of time that long. Typically, the driving factor, however is availability of shop labor hours. If it needs a lot of labor hours to make the repair, the foreman will typically prioritize many smaller repairs on other coaches because that decision will be effective of meeting the daily sign out.

It got new headlights on the right side from what I saw. As for any other repairs? S8009 was sitting in the active track on Dec 30th. Did it need other repairs? Who knows.

S15002 has been at STC since Monday for operator training. Three of them are expected to be in service on Monday February 1st.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

5 of them sit at the STC now. Wednesday seems to be the day they will roll out, but don't expect all of them to be in service until late Feb.

There will be some sort of photo op tomorrow, but I imagine that is standard whenever new buses roll out. The City of Surrey are really excited for these.

On a related note, we are inching closer towards investing in a traffic signal priority system along KGB and 104th and discussions are ongoing to install real-time bus information at stops,.

All of them will be in service by the end of March, that includes the ones for BTC. That's what the plan is right now. 2 or 3 of them were expected to be in service today, that's what the bulletin had mentioned. There is one 96 run that goes into service at 1519 from Guildford so that could have one of these assigned and it does a trip on the N19 so having a bus with camera's is always preferred where available.

All of them will be in service by the end of March, that includes the ones for BTC. That's what the plan is right now. 2 or 3 of them were expected to be in service today, that's what the bulletin had mentioned. There is one 96 run that goes into service at 1519 from Guildford so that could have one of these assigned and it does a trip on the N19 so having a bus with camera's is always preferred where available.

8007 is booked out for that run

All of them will be in service by the end of March, that includes the ones for BTC. That's what the plan is right now. 2 or 3 of them were expected to be in service today, that's what the bulletin had mentioned.

That sucks to hear that they won't be in service until March. Do you know why such a delay?

That sucks to hear that they won't be in service until March. Do you know why such a delay?

I feel like we have a discussion every time a new fleet is delivered about how long it takes to prep them for service.

Including the installation of farebox, radio, passenger counters, etc. Then maintenance training. Then mechanic training.

And then... the next time an agency gets a new fleet, someone asks "why is it taking so long to get them into service?"

There is easily 2x to 3x the amount of work required to prep a new coach for service now versus fifteen years ago, mostly related to the technology that the agency needs to install.

I feel like we have a discussion every time a new fleet is delivered about how long it takes to prep them for service.

Including the installation of farebox, radio, passenger counters, etc. Then maintenance training. Then mechanic training.

And then... the next time an agency gets a new fleet, someone asks "why is it taking so long to get them into service?"

There is easily 2x to 3x the amount of work required to prep a new coach for service now versus fifteen years ago, mostly related to the technology that the agency needs to install.

CMBC already has 2012 XDE60 which should mean that training for these buses should take faster which means they can enter service sooner.

CMBC already has 2012 XDE60 which should mean that training for these buses should take faster which means they can enter service sooner.

The 2012's are at RTC, not STC. Also they are 3 years older. Perhaps differences in technology that makes a difference ?? Just saying.

The 2012's are at RTC, not STC. Also they are 3 years older. Perhaps differences in technology that makes a difference ?? Just saying.

Then why did PCTC drivers got to train on WVMT XD40 and went into service a lot sooner than these XDE60? The XD40 were two years older than XN40.

On a related note, we are inching closer towards investing in a traffic signal priority system along KGB and 104th and discussions are ongoing to install real-time bus information at stops,.

Don't count on it. I have a feeling the City of Surrey is going to try to hold this back as they want to move their LRT agenda. Installing something like this would increase consistency on the 96 which - when you think about it - would be catastrophic to their LRT ambitions. The travel time benefit would be reduced from 1 minute to 0.

It was never said the entry into service will be delayed until March, the wording was that they all will be in service by the end of March. Basically, the last buses from the order will arrive and enter service in March, not the first buses being delayed until then.

The XN40's did not enter service faster than this order. The first XN40's were spotted at Port Kells on Sept 22, 2014, and the first one was in service on Nov 18, 2014 which is 57 days. Going through this thread, the first bus of this order was spotted there on Dec 15, 2015. 57 days after that is Feb 10, 2016, which is yet to come. In the quite likely event the first buses enter service sometime this week, these artics will be on the road in less time than the XN's were.

Then why did PCTC ad drivers got to train on WVMT XD40 and went into service a lot sooner than these XDE60? The XD40 were two years older than XN40.

The first of these will probably be in service this week or next week at the latest. As of right now, S15002 S15003 and S15007 are at STC fully equipped with compass and tmac.

As for training, these are the first hybrid buses to run out of STC so I'm sure there may be a group of mechanics that have never worked on anything other than straight diesel and the Xcelsiors are also a new design from the LF and LFR series.

Operator training also needed to be provided as there are several differences from the D60LF. Its a hybrid, bus doesn't need to be kneeled for the wheelchair ramp to be deployed on a curb (the angle is set to work without kneeling), air conditioning, front roof hatch is powered, brake pedal goes down when interlock or hill holder activated, rear doors are electronic (along with all the usual features, door will reopen if something is blocking it anywhere), maxi alarm is pressure sensitive in the seat instead of an electric eye, different setup of dash and wheelchair positioning. Lots to show to operators, even for me, I've driven the 2012's out of RTC.