2015 60' Articulated Bus Order (Diesel or Diesel/Electric Hyrbid)

323 Surrey Ctrl Stn

Oooh. From the looks of it they might even be getting the 96 ready for all-door boarding... :D

Somehow, people manage to force all door boarding on the 096 (at surrey central, albeit). Only because they think its similar to the 099, they just board right after someone exits through the back.

Half the time they don't wait, they just push their way onto the bus before people have gotten off. The 96 can do all for boarding currently with the D60LF's, those buses were doing it on the 99 before coming to Surrey. The fare paid zone stickers are at the back doors of every bus, not just the artics.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I cannot wait to see them on the 96 B-line. I wonder if CMBC will consist some more XDE60 to STC to increase capacity on the 319 and 502.

Artics would be nice on the 319 but that's not going to happen for quite a long time ...

In the mean time, I would like to see an increase in frequency, especially during the weekday afternoon rush hour.

I'm sure the 96 will take advantage of the hybrid enough to make it worth it. But if you think about it, the 125 and 135 are the only artic routes that have local stops out of all the artic routes in BTC. The rest are all express so it doesn't really make much of a difference anyway.

The other thing to consider is some of the 96 runs go to do the N19 and that will the advantage of the hybrid technology. Also, the hybrid buses seem to be able to handle runs that are out for 24 hours as far as fuel is concerned. There is one run on the 135 where the paddle sits in the depot for all of about 15 to 20 minutes.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

Even if all of these went to BTC and STC got a transfer to replace the current D60LF's, they would probably send the D60LFR's and/or DE60LFR's to give STC artics with camera's. But it's just easier to send the new buses straight to where they are needed instead of transferring. And the camera's will be welcome on the N19 I'm sure.

As for the LED headlights, I prefer them from a drivers point of view. Can see so much more and they illuminate further than standard headlights. The headlights on the Xcelsior's are great.

Stupid question time: how well-suited is the #96 to taking advantage of hybrid propulsion? Would it have made more sense to have sent this entire order to Burnaby and then have transferred D60LFRs to Surrey to replace the old D60LFs?

All of the artic routes, in the entire system are suited to a hybrid propulsion system.

Even when they are running limited stop or express service, they are operating on urban arterials, which inherently brings a lot of stopping and starting just from traffic and lights. Its not as if any of these routes are getting on a freeway and running all out for thirty minutes.

Even if all of these went to BTC and STC got a transfer to replace the current D60LF's, they would probably send the D60LFR's and/or DE60LFR's to give STC artics with camera's. But it's just easier to send the new buses straight to where they are needed instead of transferring. And the camera's will be welcome on the N19 I'm sure.

As for the LED headlights, I prefer them from a drivers point of view. Can see so much more and they illuminate further than standard headlights. The headlights on the Xcelsior's are great.

LED headlights I dont mind so much but wish the interior lights continued to use fluorescent lights rather then LEDs. Have noticed that many buses are getting its fluorescent interior lights retrofitted to LED and wish that wasn't done. I can't stand LED lighting at all. Wish the buses with LED interior lights got retrofitted to fluorescent lights

I'm sure the 96 will take advantage of the hybrid enough to make it worth it. But if you think about it, the 125 and 135 are the only artic routes that have local stops out of all the artic routes in BTC. The rest are all express so it doesn't really make much of a difference anyway.

The other thing to consider is some of the 96 runs go to do the N19 and that will the advantage of the hybrid technology. Also, the hybrid buses seem to be able to handle runs that are out for 24 hours as far as fuel is concerned. There is one run on the 135 where the paddle sits in the depot for all of about 15 to 20 minutes.

BTC will be getting some of the new artics so the 125 could be getting some of the hybrid action, and 135 is definitely getting it - although it's going to turn into a B-Line next year anyway.

They'll also prefer the XDE60s out here in surrey because of security cameras and safety especially during the nighttime runs. I'm sure they'll use the camera-equipped vehicles whenver they can.

Just remembered that, excellent point :) will be super useful on the N19 runs and in any case in Surrey in general, what with violent crime being up this year.

I was looking at your photos (nice job so far!) and concluded with these.

2: 15004 had a license plate from Arizona (which I found rather interesting)

I was driving on the 15 near LA the other day and saw a new XD40 For LACMTA with Arizona plates as well.

Why do some of the IC shuttles need to be replaced. I guess Navistar is known for making junk products.

The pre '07 (before EPA 2007 standards) motors and buses/trucks (Especially the s-series with the DT466) were solid, reliable, economical motors and vehicles.

But the EPA standards kicked in and all the engine manufactures had a heck of a time, and International Navistar made some poor engineering choices and really messed up.

Regarding the Arizona plates, maybe it has something to do with the fact that Arizona has cheap insurance? At least that's what I've heard and that's why every uhaul has Arizona plates. Just a guess.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

It's most likely the physical location of the driveaway company used to deliver the coaches. They are responsible for the transporter registration to get them to their new location. Remember, apportioned plates can be base plated anywhere in the US or Canada that the company has a physical location. For companies with multiple locations, they typically base plate in which ever jurisdiction has the lowest registration fees and go from there.

I'm not too sure what happened with 8009, but its back in service as of now.

Posted this on Dec 30th in the retirement thread

Time to check the BTC.

Edit: It's back at the STC, but doesn't look like it will see service.

It's been sitting there for 2 weeks after getting repaired (new headlights). Guess they realized the new order won't be seeing service for a bit longer?