Volvo B10M (U.S. Specifications)

Benjamin

Does anyone remember the exact THD variant used in the various North American-specification B10M deliveries (SEPTA, NJ Transit, SamTrans, RIPTA)?

As U.S. final assembly and sale of the B10M was between 1983 and 1986, the engines were likely the THD101GC (40 foot) and THD101GD (60 foot). As to the ZF transmission, the 40-foot units used the 4HP500 4-speed unit while the artics had the 5HP500 5-speed (overdrive in 5th) unit.

The HP and torque ratings were:

THD101GC = 242 hp @ 2200 rpm, 656 lb/ft tq @ 1400 rpm

THD101GD = 270 hp @ 2200 rpm, 767 lb/ft tq @ 1400 rpm

(actual U.S. ratings may differ)

~Ben

Edited by Benjamin

Does anyone remember the exact THD variant used in the various North American-specification B10M deliveries (SEPTA, NJ Transit, SamTrans, RIPTA)?

As U.S. final assembly and sale of the B10M was between 1983 and 1986, the engines were likely the THD101GC (40 foot) and THD101GD (60 foot). As to the ZF transmission, the 40-foot units used the 4HP500 4-speed unit while the artics had the 5HP500 5-speed (overdrive in 5th) unit.

The HP and torque ratings were:

THD101GC = 242 hp @ 2200 rpm, 656 lb/ft tq @ 1400 rpm

THD101GD = 270 hp @ 2200 rpm, 767 lb/ft tq @ 1400 rpm

(actual U.S. ratings may differ)

~Ben

I was wondering the same thing. All I know is that samTrans' B10M's were from 1985 and they had front mounted engines. Were these ZF only buses when it came to transmissions?

I was wondering the same thing. All I know is that samTrans' B10M's were from 1985 and they had front mounted engines. Were these ZF only buses when it came to transmissions?

Most likely. I know NJT's had them, as did SEPTA's. The "M" at the end of the model nomenclature means a mid-mount engine.

~Ben

• 2 months later...

Bringing this thread back to state that two Volvos of US specs were saved. 7011 from SEPTA was saved, but was sadly scrapped in 2009, along with the last round of Neoplan AN440s. 8590 is still at the Hershey Museum of Bus Transportation. Was there any attempts by NJT or Samtrans to save one of theirs?

Bringing this thread back to state that two Volvos of US specs were saved. 7011 from SEPTA was saved, but was sadly scrapped in 2009, along with the last round of Neoplan AN440s. 8590 is still at the Hershey Museum of Bus Transportation. Was there any attempts by NJT or Samtrans to save one of theirs?

No, SamTrans doesn't officially preserve any vehicle. (However, they do have one 1984 Gillig as an "art bus," two 1977 AMG's for earthquake rescue units, and one 1998 Gillig for disaster responses). I believe all of SamTrans' Volvos were scrapped around 2002 (along with the Neoplans) unfortunately.

No, SamTrans doesn't officially preserve any vehicle. (However, they do have one 1984 Gillig as an "art bus," two 1977 AMG's for earthquake rescue units, and one 1998 Gillig for disaster responses). I believe all of SamTrans' Volvos were scrapped around 2002 (along with the Neoplans) unfortunately.

The Volvos hung on until 2003. The Neoplans were owned by a contractor, so those buses likely continued service a bit later, along with the 1984 Gillig Phantoms. I noticed on the old NA Transit site that some recordings were taken in 2003.

The Volvos hung on until 2003. The Neoplans were owned by a contractor, so those buses likely continued service a bit later, along with the 1984 Gillig Phantoms. I noticed on the old NA Transit site that some recordings were taken in 2003.

Oh okay. Probably 2003 for the Neoplans as well then. I read as well that the 1984 Gillig Phantoms were still running in 2002, yet the 1983 Gilligs seemed to have left by 1999 or so. Was there any reason why the 1990 Gilligs were retired as early as 2004?

Are you sure about the engine location? I was fairly certain these were mid- or rear-engined buses with, at the most, a front-mounted radiator.

Here's the interior of the lone SEPTA bus to be spared...really doubt there's enough room for an engine in that little compartment.

6228390527_a00ff28918.jpg

Are you sure about the engine location? I was fairly certain these were mid- or rear-engined buses with, at the most, a front-mounted radiator.

Here's the interior of the lone SEPTA bus to be spared...really doubt there's enough room for an engine in that little compartment.

6228390527_a00ff28918.jpg

Volvos were mid mounted engines, just like the MANs and Crown Ikarus buses. On a side note, that Volvo from SEPTA is still around? Thought SEPTA junked or sold all of them years ago. If so, where is it located?

You are correct. I always thought it was a front mounted engine, due to the position of the radiator. My mistake.

Volvos were mid mounted engines, just like the MANs and Crown Ikarus buses. On a side note, that Volvo from SEPTA is still around? Thought SEPTA junked or sold all of them years ago. If so, where is it located?

It was at the Museum of Bus Transportation a few years back but I haven't been since, so don't know if they kept it post flood repair...