Bombardier/Alstom Flexity Deliveries

Nov 17
Cross-post

With this announcement, we should see 1 or 2 more cars this year and about 28 or more in 2024 with the balance in 2025 compared to the plan 20 per year until 2026

The tracker is only now showing 4604 going westbound on King St E that is 8 hours old and doesn't match 4601 data heading eastbound on 504 for some unknown reason.

TTC launches brand new streetcars
Sixty new streetcars will be delivered by 2025

Nov. 17, 2023

The first of 60 new Toronto Transit Commission (TTC) streetcars officially entered service today, Fri., Nov. 17, with an inaugural run on the 504 King route. The new streetcars are jointly funded by $568 million in contributions from the federal government, Ontario government, and City of Toronto.

The new vehicles are being produced by Alstom at their Thunder Bay facility. The remaining streetcars will be delivered throughout 2023, 2024 and 2025.

“A thriving Toronto—with reliable and sustainable public transit—is very much a part of our economic plan. Just as creating good-paying, middle-class jobs in Canada and in this city is central to our economic plan,” said Chrystia Freeland, Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Finance. “We are investing in Toronto, and in Toronto’s transit infrastructure. These new made-in-Canada streetcars for the TTC are yet another example of how the people of Toronto have no greater partner than our federal government.”

“Supporting modern, safe, and reliable public transit for Canadians across the country helps build more connected communities, a stronger economy, and a cleaner environment,” said the Honourable Sean Fraser, Minister of Housing, Infrastructure and Communities. “The arrival of these new vehicles ensures that taking a streetcar in Toronto remains comfortable, convenient, and efficient.”

“Expanding reliable public transit options are a key part of the Ontario government's plan to make life easier for people, while supporting good home-grown jobs," said Prabmeet Sarkaria, Ontario Minister of Transportation. “As the new streetcars enter service, it will be faster and easier for commuters in the city to get where they need to go, with more cars and shorter wait times. This is a testament to the strong communities we can build when all three levels of government work together to deliver the critical infrastructure we need for today and our future.”

The TTC’s 2023-2032 Capital Budget and Plan includes a $568 million streetcar program, consisting of 60 additional low-floor streetcars and the reconfiguring of Hillcrest Complex to accommodate the storage of at least 25 streetcars. This program is essential to ensuring the TTC can meet future ridership growth and demand over the coming years.

In May 2021, the federal and Ontario governments each announced up to $180 million toward the TTC Streetcar Program. The remaining $208 million is coming from the City of Toronto.

“Transit has been a priority for me since day one. Increasing the number of streetcars on our roads means shorter wait times, more capacity, and more reliable service for transit users,” said Mayor Olivia Chow. “As Toronto continues to grow and we look for ways to improve peoples’ commutes, we need to continue to work with all levels of government to make more transit options available.”

“Streetcars are a vital part of the TTC and the city, and I am pleased that we are continuing to expand our fleet and plan for ridership growth and increased demand,” said TTC Chair Jamaal Myers. “Our goal is to run a sustainable transit system that our customers can continue to rely on and be proud of. This is a big step in that direction.”

In 2022, the TTC operated nine streetcar routes spanning approximately 355 km, carrying more than 26 million people.

“The TTC is grateful for the continued support of all orders of government as we plan for the future growth and ridership of the city,” said TTC CEO Rick Leary. “I want to thank the many TTC employees who keep Toronto moving and dedicate themselves to getting our customers to and from their destinations safely. I know how excited they will be to have more new vehicles in the fleet.”

Since 2020, the TTC has operated only low-floor, high-capacity, fully accessible streetcars on its network. Buses also operate on the streetcar network in the short term to support ongoing construction projects in the city. The capacity of one streetcar is equal to two and a half buses.

36 minutes ago, drum118 said:

The tracker is only now showing 4604 going westbound on King St E that is 8 hours old and doesn't match 4601 data heading eastbound on 504 for some unknown reason.

It's not signed in, it's probably running as an extra.

The data being 8 hours early (not old) seems to be a display issue on the once famed Sammdot tracker. On TransSee it shows the car reporting data normally.

4604 ended up doing one round trip from Leslie Barns via King to Dundas West and back. Surprised they wouldn't at least leave it out for the duration of rush hour, but I assume few people got a chance to see it, so yay bragging rights...?

Some pictures of it. Identical to the original 204, and I have no idea why they would do a press conference for it, but considering I managed to get all 204 cars of the original order, I welcomed a chance to get this one, too.

img_3390-jpg.521044

img_3393-jpg.521045

img_3382-jpg.521043

img_3378-jpg.521042img_3377-jpg.521041img_3376-jpg.521039img_3375-jpg.521038

img_3374-jpg.521037img_3373-jpg.521036

• Like 3

Only difference as someone already pointed out is the seat colours are the TTC red and blue instead of the red with black strips / blue with black strips seat inserts of the original batch.

I'm most disappointed that they didn't bother to spec them to have interior LED lights like the post 2013 bus fleet.

Don't tell me they held it back from revenue service for weeks until the stars could be aligned for the pols and their photo op. Did they at least take the minister out so that she could experience the <10 km/h crawls through the Sumach, Parliament, Church, and Spadina intersections? Gotta deliver that full TTC experience.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4504 officially enter service today on route 511 after arriving Aug 9. 101 day ago.

Am surprised that TTC did not make changes to this batch based on the current fleet that they wanted to see change.

18 hours ago, T3G said:

It's not signed in, it's probably running as an extra.

The data being 8 hours early (not old) seems to be a display issue on the once famed Sammdot tracker. On TransSee it shows the car reporting data normally.

Both trackers were showing last seen 7-8 hours ago.

1 hour ago, drum118 said:

4504 officially enter service today on route 511 after arriving Aug 9. 101 day ago.

4604 was on a shift scheduled to run in after 2 am, but it seems to have crapped out, it was replaced by 4542 just before 9 am.

Why would yesterday not have been its 'official' entry into service? What's more official than a dog and pony show?

1 hour ago, drum118 said:

Both trackers were showing last seen 7-8 hours ago.

TransSee was down for much of the day, but every time I opened it successfully it reported that the data was current.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, T3G said:

4604 was on a shift scheduled to run in after 2 am, but it seems to have crapped out, it was replaced by 4542 just before 9 am.

Why would yesterday not have been its 'official' entry into service? What's more official than a dog and pony show?

TransSee was down for much of the day, but every time I opened it successfully it reported that the data was current.

During being tested and in the service bays, both trackers were showing old data location as I noted, but true location and time yesterday and today.

4605 is showing old data with Transsee saying today date while Pocket is saying -8 hours.

Transporter WDLX 8900, carrying car 4606, has been dropped off at the Hillcrest loading dock this weekend.

It's the first time, as far as I know, that this railcar has been used for such a delivery.

It was coupled up to WDLX 8901, but that is still just a regular flatcar, and has not been modified to carry streetcars/LRV - at least not yet.

Notably, car 4606 has been delivered with the unit number applied in black at the front of the car above the driver's cab. So far, only four cars have been delivered with the fleet number displayed in black in that spot: the original prototypes 4400, 4401 & 4402, plus car 4572 - the first made-in-Kingston production car. All the other cars had no unit number in that location when delivered; it would be applied in white after delivery while on TTC property.

Car 4606 to be unloaded this week.

27 minutes ago, WoodbineSecondExit said:

Maybe order some with stainless steel that isn't contaminated? I noticed some of the later cars in the order which are less than 5 years old with rust on the steel handhold bars.

The rust on the stanchions is from the spray that was used when transit vehicles were getting sprayed during the pandemic. I’ve noticed the stanchion end brackets on buses suffered from the after affects. The TR doors also have this discolouration as well 

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, bus_7246 said:

The rust on the stanchions is from the spray that was used when transit vehicles were getting sprayed during the pandemic. I’ve noticed the stanchion end brackets on buses suffered from the after affects. The TR doors also have this discolouration as well 

Hydrogen Peroxide.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, T3G said:

4605 has entered service on route 501 Quren today (i.e. Dec 3, 2023).

It was moved over to the Barns service bay early Sat and they moved to the service line last night, That indicate entering service on Sunday was finally here after 53 days since arrival

4606 is tracking and currently on the service track after spending the day in the service bay. Lets see how long it takes to get this car into service as well meet the 10-15 days turn around like the current fleet.

On 11/27/2023 at 6:29 PM, bus_7246 said:

Are the poles with the peeling and flaking yellow paint on the buses from the chemical bath? It looks really bad.

3 hours ago, WoodbineSecondExit said:

Are the poles with the peeling and flaking yellow paint on the buses from the chemical bath? It looks really bad.

Most likely, yes. The hydrogen peroxide took a toll on the stanchions, stop request buttons, stanchion brackets, and more from the era of the pandemic. Before the pandemic, you would rarely see issues to that extent on the stanchions. 

4606 has completed its burn in on Dec 7 and in the service bay being ready for service.

It been here 10 days so far and will we see it in service by Dec 13 to match the turn around like the current existing fleet did or a shorter timeframe than 4605??

44 minutes ago, drum118 said:

4606 has completed its burn in on Dec 7 and in the service bay being ready for service.

It been here 10 days so far and will be see in service by Dec 13 to match the turn around like the current existing fleet did or a shorter timeframe than 4605??

I saw out yesterday afternoon doing burn in runs and figured it was getting close to service.