Bombardier/Alstom Flexity Deliveries

On 4/22/2019 at 5:19 AM, 29Sufferin said:

Haha, more fun from the trackers. 4549 (not even here yet) is tracking in the lake!

2067230358_inthelake.thumb.png.c8375ace5106abfcf5085aed112b352b.png

On 4/22/2019 at 6:07 AM, Kelvin3157 said:

That tracker is from the PCC car that operated yesterday during the Easter Day Parade

Will there be 2 streetcars with that number, or will it be skipped for the PCC?

17 hours ago, soo8513 said:

The heritage cars carry external numbers 4500 & 4549 but have internal fleet numbers in the H15-class.

You mean A15.

That suggests that a couple of numbers in the low 4600s might get skipped. Wiki says those would be 4604 and 4605. Good thing the current order ends at 4603. B)

Car 4406 is off-property as of this morning (i.e. Wed, May 1). It has headed to Hillcrest yesterday evening, and this morning it was loaded up for transport to La Pocatiere, QC. It was last in service on Oct. 13 of last year, when it experienced a failure of some nature while in service on 512 St. Clair.

Car 4484 was used to push it onto CP's transporter at the loading dock.

Also, can someone please correct the entries on the wiki page for cars 4477, 4478, 4479, 4539 & 4542?

4477 was delivered to Hillcrest on May 25, 2018.

4478 was delivered to Hillcrest on May 23, 2018 and was loaded up for transport to Kanona on Jan. 23, 2019 (not Jan. 24)

4479 was delivered to Hillcrest on May 24, 2018

4539 entered service on Apr. 19, 2019 on 504B King.

Car 4542 is not on property yet. Thanks!

• Like 3

CEO May Report
Currently, the 504 King, 509 Harbourfront, 510 Spadina and 512 St Clair are fully served with lowfloor streetcars. We began deploying these streetcars on the 501 Queen in January 2019. We expect that all service on Queen, between Humber Loop and Neville Park Loop will be operated by lowfloor streetcars by early summer. Subsequent routes for streetcar deployment will be: 511 Bathurst (summer 2019), 501 Queen (Long Branch Loop to Humber Loop, fall 2019), 506 Carlton (late 2019), and 505 Dundas (spring 2020). Lowfloor streetcar service on Kingston 

The MDBF for the LFLRV fleet in March was 13,223 kilometres. This is a decrease of 1,554 kilometres from the same time last year and a decrease of 81 kilometres from last month. The overall LFLRV MDBF remains below the 35,000-kilometre target. 

The overall number of failures in March remained consisted with February. Slight increases in brake, high voltage and train control management system failures resulted in a small decrease in MDBF. 

No report on the ALRV fleet and since they haven't seen service since Jan, will say they are retire now. Some how, TTC still wants to have only 161 cars in service daily, yet ridership increase say there should be more.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, drum118 said:

CEO May Report
Currently, the 504 King, 509 Harbourfront, 510 Spadina and 512 St Clair are fully served with lowfloor streetcars. We began deploying these streetcars on the 501 Queen in January 2019. We expect that all service on Queen, between Humber Loop and Neville Park Loop will be operated by lowfloor streetcars by early summer. Subsequent routes for streetcar deployment will be: 511 Bathurst (summer 2019), 501 Queen (Long Branch Loop to Humber Loop, fall 2019), 506 Carlton (late 2019), and 505 Dundas (spring 2020). Lowfloor streetcar service on Kingston

Low-floor streetcar service on Kingston Road will be introduced in 2020 following a review of streetcar services as part of our Five-Year Service Plan. (end of sentence, no emphasis in original)

While the "will" is encouraging to some extent, one does wonder if this review will lead to more service on Kingston Road or just packing it in, especially given the current approach the province is taking to Toronto transit. As I have noted before, the amount of chopping and changing on Kingston Road between bus and streetcar, flipping service hours to and from 503, and the failure to extend 503 west to take full advantage of the KSP, may mean Kingston Road transit users are not all that attached to retaining streetcars if they would get predictable bus transit in exchange.

3 minutes ago, dowlingm said:

While the "will" is encouraging to some extent, one does wonder if this review will lead to more service on Kingston Road or just packing it in, especially given the current approach the province is taking to Toronto transit. As I have noted before, the amount of chopping and changing on Kingston Road between bus and streetcar, flipping service hours to and from 503, and the failure to extend 503 west to take full advantage of the KSP, may mean Kingston Road transit users are not all that attached to retaining streetcars if they would get predictable bus transit in exchange. 

I think the CEO report is too optimistic. With a maximum 168 out of 204 cars available for service at any one time, this is not going to be enough to fully cover 505/506/511 and what is left on 501.

What I think will happen is we are going to have bus trippers in the peak periods on several streetcar routes and the Kingston Road services permanently replaced with buses.

Ironically, the entire trackage on Kingston Rd is new, having been completely replaced in 2013.

In other news, car 4542 was offloaded at Hillcrest this morning (i.e. Thu, May 2). Car 4445 was used to tow it off of CP's transporter.

On 5/2/2019 at 10:39 AM, ttc rider said:

I think the CEO report is too optimistic. With a maximum 168 out of 204 cars available for service at any one time, this is not going to be enough to fully cover 505/506/511 and what is left on 501.

168 cars available would be a 21.5% spare ratio. However, if they send 6 cars to La Pocatière at a time, and have a 17% spare ratio for the rest, then they could get out 169 cars - but shouldn't that increase to 174 cars once all the warranty work is done?

However, that should be enough for everything other than 502/503, if you look at Steve Munro's March 22 “TTC 2019 Fleet and Capacity Plans” article - https://stevemunro.ca/2019/03/22/ttc-2019-fleet-capacity-plans-part-ii-streetcars-and-buses/

It says the current current fleet requirement for all the routes is 180 cars (up from 168 in their 2013 plans). But if you remove the 11 502/503 cars, then they only need 169 cars.

Though I think that means the end - possibly permanently - of service on Kingston Road. It's a real shame they didn't add even 15 more cars to the order. They could have done that out of the $ for damages.

On 5/6/2019 at 4:19 PM, dowlingm said:

A post on UT asserts that a car has been shipped from La Pocatiere and is now in Toronto. No further details yet.

Further to this: the car is 4401 and is bound for Thunder Bay, presumably to receive production-spec modification.

• Like 1

On ‎5‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 1:38 PM, nfitz said:

168 cars available would be a 21.5% spare ratio. However, if they send 6 cars to La Pocatière at a time, and have a 17% spare ratio for the rest, then they could get out 169 cars - but shouldn't that increase to 174 cars once all the warranty work is done?

I think your calculation is correct in theory, but we know from past experience that these projections are just that - projections - and service provided on the street can be quite different, so I think it is prudent to take the numbers in that table with a grain of salt. For example, starting next week, there will be an increase in the number of cars required for 504 King to 45 cars in AM peak, which is not reflected in those projections. This will not result in more frequent service on the street, however, but it simply reflects an increase in running time. The same can happen (and most likely, will happen) on any route in future years, so actual fleet allocations will change, too.

Regarding the projected spare ratio and how many cars we will actually see on the street, I will believe it when I see it. So far, except for a couple of days back in January when all of the older cars were sidelined and we had 101 Flexity's on the street, we have only recently starting to hit 94-95-96 cars in AM peak and about 90 in the PM peak on a consistent basis. In theory, this should increase to 101 cars in AM peak and 96 in the PM peak when the May board starts next week. This is still not very impressive for a total fleet of ~140 cars.

On ‎5‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 1:38 PM, nfitz said:

Though I think that means the end - possibly permanently - of service on Kingston Road. It's a real shame they didn't add even 15 more cars to the order. They could have done that out of the $ for damages.

Luckily, the track infrastructure on Kingston Rd was completely replaced and the terminal at Bingham Loop was modified for LF streetcar use in 2013, so at least the track should remain in place. How many years of "temporary" bus operation we will see in that corridor due to lack of streetcars is another matter.

Not getting extra cars as compensation was totally expected. The option for additional vehicles was not exercised, no additional contract is forthcoming, so financially, it is better for the manufacturer to settle and offer the last few cars for free or at a reduced cost, rather than supply additional vehicles for which warranty and technical assistance must be provided.

17 hours ago, ttc rider said:

Luckily, the track infrastructure on Kingston Rd was completely replaced and the terminal at Bingham Loop was modified for LF streetcar use in 2013, so at least the track should remain in place. How many years of "temporary" bus operation we will see in that corridor due to lack of streetcars is another matter.

True - and TTC has indicated that isn't their plan. My gosh though, running Flexities along there, would sure help along Queen East.

I wonder if there are any thoughts of just running it as a shuttle from Victoria Park to the Woodbine loop.