Bombardier/Alstom Flexity Deliveries

2 hours ago, smallspy said:

That's not true at all. The TTC can absolutely sue Bombardier, and have threatened to do so many times over the years due to this contract.

A negotiated settlement is always the preferred solution however, as it can usually end up working out well for both parties.

Dan

Not to mention there's also a working example of Metrolinx having sued Bombardier over the delivery woes with their vehicles.  Metrolinx lost that one though.

3 minutes ago, drum118 said:

Who going to pay for these extra cars and how much will the City have to pay, considering they aren't in any TTC budgets nor approved by the City?

Who is on TTC Commission as well who is the new chair, with TTC meeting on Dec 18??

Good question.  If our politicians were doing their jobs, and I'll admit that's a very big if, they should have been laying some framework on this before the elections so that exercising the option isn't a clean sheet start from scratch process to line up funding etc.  If I was to hazard a guess based on John Tory's record to date I'd say his position's likely to be "someone else" is going to pay for it.

I can totally see John Tory getting in front of the cameras and doing another one of those rambling woodfaced press conferences of his where he uses a thousand words where a hundred will do and he'll talk about "how important it is to get those streetcars in and there's going to be costs associated with buying those streetcars and that's an expense that shouldn't have to be carried by Toronto and other governments should step up to the plate with their broader reaching taxation powers to foot the bill..." and so on that he goes off incessantly about.  For all that John Tory complains about putting on the short pants and going begging at Queen's Park like a little boy, he sure loves going up there and panhandling.  I bet sometime in the early-mid new year we get to hear the mayor of Toronto rambling about how people living in fly-in, fly-out communities along the James Bay coastline should not only be required to dig a little deeper, they should be happy to dig a little deeper to pay for Toronto's streetcar option order because they benefit from hipsters going on summer wilderness fishing trips up there, or something else like that.

14 hours ago, WoodbineSecondExit said:

Another January and February with the old streetcars? Where can we sign up?

That's going to be true whether they have all 204 done in 2019 or not. TTC have been planning for several years to have about 20 or so old cars to provide all the peak service, until additional cars beyond 204 are ordered and delivered.

14 hours ago, WoodbineSecondExit said:

Remember last year when you said the contract option should be exercised ASAP because at the time Bombardier had proven they could deliver 60 cars a year? They have yet to prove it and they're going to fall short of 60 yet again even with an extra line on the job. Kingston is already months behind, it's another case of believe it when I see it.

Kingston is behind, sure. But they don't need Kingston to make about 60 cars a year. Kingston is necessary to make about 80 to 85 cars a year.

They have already delivered 56 cars this year, (4460 through 4615). And it's reported above that 3 more have been already shipped (4416, 4417, and 4472).

I'm not sure why you are saying that Bombardier has yet to show they can do 60 cars a year, when they are on target to deliver 60 cars in 2018. And they delivered 33 cars during the last 6 months (June through November). In the last year from December 13 2017 to December 12 2018 (today) they delivered 60 cars (4456 to 4415) - all from Thunder Bay.

We should have already ordered the 60 additional cars. At this point, we are only shooting ourselves in the foot. We could have had them all in 2020 ... now it's probably 2021 at best, and if they go elsewhere, then maybe we get a test car in 2024 - and likely for far more $.

Remember the second lowest bidder was about $7.5 million a car (for 204 cars) compared to Bombardier's option price of $3 million per car for any additional cars beyond 204.

• Like 1

Goddammit. Hipsters were spotted THERE now?!  The one place I could run to for sanity, DEFILED by axe throwing poseurs!! 

The only James Bay those vacuous lemmings should be going to is the musical type. And they can keep him, and his stupid hat, too. (End rant)

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, soo8513 said:

Of course if Ford buys the TTC or TTC subway portion many of these issues will dive to the back burners.  Many seem to miss the point that TTC needs subway, LRTs, more streetcars and more buses.

Buying the subway or the TTC might be more than we get.  There was an article in the Toronto Star today about how the city received legal advice indicating that the province could take over the subway without paying compensation.  If they bought it, at least some amount of money would be realized from the sale but with an arbitrary upload, the city would be stuck paying off debts from construction and other capital projects for something the city wouldn't own anymore.

5 hours ago, Bus_Medic said:

Goddammit. Hipsters were spotted THERE now?!  The one place I could run to for sanity, DEFILED by axe throwing poseurs!! 

The only James Bay those vacuous lemmings should be going to is the musical type. And they can keep him, and his stupid hat, too. (End rant)

Tell me about it.

4514 is now tracking.

4512 is out testing as a 501 in service and must had some issues to keep it in the service bay for over 2 days...........Opps GPS has it out in the lake now

4513 GPS has it all over the place and has been that way since the first test run. It was out last night for testing as well a few short trip yesterday.

Will 4572 be off loaded today or will it be 4516 or nothing??

31 minutes ago, drum118 said:

4514 is now tracking.

4512 is out testing as a 501 in service and must had some issues to keep it in the service bay for over 2 days...........Opps GPS has it out in the lake now

4513 GPS has it all over the place and has been that way since the first test run. It was out last night for testing as well a few short trip yesterday.

Will 4572 be off loaded today or will it be 4516 or nothing??

I believe that 4572 will be delivered because I saw it at CPR’s Lambton Yard yesterday evening

1 hour ago, TTC Guy said:

I believe that 4572 will be delivered because I saw it at CPR’s Lambton Yard yesterday evening

Was told it may have to be ship to Agincourt Yard first, since Hillcrest is service from the east and Lambton is west. On the dumb side.

Anyway, 4512 is ready for service and sitting on track 17 in the yard. Will it be today, but more so it will be Friday??

Whoa, that was fast from my last posting 7 minutes ago, as 4512 has enter service on 504A and was expecting it to enter service today once it was in the yard. Only 9 day turn around.

2 hours ago, drum118 said:

Was told it may have to be ship to Agincourt Yard first, since Hillcrest is service from the east and Lambton is west. On the dumb side.

Anyway, 4512 is ready for service and sitting on track 17 in the yard. Will it be today, but more so it will be Friday??

Whoa, that was fast from my last posting 7 minutes ago, as 4512 has enter service on 504A and was expecting it to enter service today once it was in the yard. Only 9 day turn around.

That was a very quick turnaround. 4512 took a test trip downtown at around noon signed in as a 501 (but signed NOT IN SERVICE) didn't expect to see it out in service today.

11 hours ago, Kelvin3157 said:

From a Facebook Group post (not my pic):

4186 towing 4514

FB_IMG_1544856965060.jpg

Do you have the date of this picture, as well?

In other news, car 4572 was delivered by CP to Hillcrest late last night, just in time for the weekend, so it will likely be offloaded on Monday morning.

• Like 1