Bombardier/Alstom Flexity Deliveries

1 hour ago, drum118 said:

505 will resume seeing Flexity in March and most likely will be using pans only.

Considering that the TTC has said that the cars on Dundas will be using pans when they return to the route, there's no need to speculate on it.

Dan

1 hour ago, smallspy said:

Considering that the TTC has said that the cars on Dundas will be using pans when they return to the route, there's no need to speculate on it.

Is there any rhyme or reason to initiating pan operation?

Granted that they had a chance to redo the overhead during the service suspension, Dundas is hardly the busiest route. Why not make King a pan route? Or the Lake Shore section of 501, which is pan-ready as far as I know, and wouldn't be used by any diverting routes?

I know you don't have the answer....I'm just muttering rhetorical questions.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ed T. said:

Granted that they had a chance to redo the overhead during the service suspension, Dundas is hardly the busiest route. Why not make King a pan route? Or the Lake Shore section of 501, which is pan-ready as far as I know, and wouldn't be used by any diverting routes?

I know you don't have the answer....just rhetorical questions.

The section of Dundas between Denison and Bathurst still has old overhead. Same with east of Spadina through the intersection of University. Also the curves east of Yonge and between Jarvis and Sherbourne still have to be restrung for pantograph operation

3 hours ago, Tom1122 said:

How close is the 511 to being pan operation? I know the 512 cars deadhead with their pans up. I believe it's the same with the 509.

511 is pan now. I have seen several cars with their pans up going to Bathurst station on 511.

18 hours ago, Ed T. said:

I know you don't have the answer....I'm just muttering rhetorical questions.

Well, I can answer a couple of the questions at least.

There is a bit of a rhyme and reason to initiating pan operation. The major factor is with the overhead at specialwork - once all of those sections on a particular line have been completed, the line can be cleared for pantograph operation. The overhead on the tangent sections does need to be modified as well, but it is not as imperative to the conversion of the line, and for the most part can be done later on after pantograph operation has begun.

But not all of the overhead is converted from end-to-end on a line, because they all wear at different rates. So as the individual intersections are rebuilt (and have been rebuilt over the past 5 or 6 years or so), they have been upgraded to the new standard, allowing for both pole and pantograph operation. But this also means that there are other intersections that are left to be done later on, and thus possibly affecting two or more lines.

As for Dundas, you're right: it is hardly the busiest route. But a much of the overhead on the line has been upgraded, and thus they are able to state that when the cars come back to the line that they will operate with pantographs up. But as for King, there are still some sections that need to be upgraded before the line can be completely converted. As it stands, everything to the east of Bathurst has been upgraded. I don't know if everything to the west of Bathurst, or north of King, has been done yet.

You also bring up diversionary routes - I don't think that they necessarily need to be done for a line to be converted, as any time that the Spadina line has had to be diverted they've put out a message to operators to drop the pans and put up the poles for the diversions (although I think this is no longer strictly the case for all diversions anymore).

Dan

If 4601 is at Lambton, then 4602 preceded it - one car came off at Hillcrest within the last day. That must be 4602.

First time in its history that TTC has had a streetcar on the property numbered 4602!

4603 is en route and not far away. 

That leaves only the "Avro Arrow" 4401 and the two Surfer Dudes at Thunder Bay. 

Haven't heard of any cars coming back from rewelding, nor of any others being sent to that program, for a while now.

- Paul

1 hour ago, crs1026 said:

First time in its history that TTC has had a streetcar on the property numbered 4602!

Almost true....and I give points for thinking of this. ;)

PCC 4537 was rebuilt into 4602 in 1989 and I guess ran that way until the PCCs were retired in 1995.

The first open slot seems to be 4619-4624, followed by 4748-4749.

1 hour ago, crs1026 said:

If 4601 is at Lambton, then 4602 preceded it - one car came off at Hillcrest within the last day. That must be 4602.

That is correct! Car 4602 was offloaded at Hillcrest this morning (i.e. Fri, Jan 17), with car 4411 used to tow it off of CP's transporter.

5 hours ago, Ed T. said:

Almost true....and I give points for thinking of this. ;)

PCC 4537 was rebuilt into 4602 in 1989 and I guess ran that way until the PCCs were retired in 1995.

The first open slot seems to be 4619-4624, followed by 4748-4749.

Doh! I forgot about that renumbering. I stand corrected.

- Paul

Actually, no.

Repeating what I just posted to UT.... 4401 is still a Bombardier demonstrator. It has never been accepted by TTC.

When 4603 is delivered and commissioned, TTC will have accepted 203 cars.... not 204 cars.

Only when 4401 is finally ready for commercial service, will the order be complete.f

4401 has never carried a revenue passenger.

- Paul

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, crs1026 said:

When 4603 is delivered and commissioned, TTC will have accepted 203 cars.... not 204 cars.

However 4401 was also sent for welding repairs - unlike 4400 which was sent back for completion in 2013 had to leave a second time for welding repairs in 2018. (I'm curious about 4402, if they did the welding repairs when it got sent back in 2015).

In terms of arrival in Toronto ... all 204 have arrived at some time or another. Though 4603 is still on a CP flatbed somewhere, rather than on TTC track, if I've been following along at home correctly ...

• Like 1