Bombardier/Alstom Flexity Deliveries

I was snooping around in the cptdb wiki on this page and noticed besides 4479, there's no Thunder Bay deliveries for over a week. Last month they were coming in approximately 2 units a week and I remember someone posting the last unit 4603 was already finished.

Did they delay the deliveries for the last 10 units plus 4401? We are literally less than 3.5 weeks away from 2020 and Bombardier claims they will have all delivered by 2020.

Just saw something interesting, not sure if this is normal, but I was sitting at Wendy's at Leslie & Lakeshore, and there were several Flexities returning to Leslie Barns, and one of them was using the Pantograph, while all the rest were using the pole.

I guess enough of Queen Street has been retrofitted to allow Pantograph operations for the routes that are using them, to return to Leslie Barns without having to switch back to the pole?

First time I've ever seen a Flexity on this side of the city using a Pantograph.

13 minutes ago, MK78 said:

Just saw something interesting, not sure if this is normal, but I was sitting at Wendy's at Leslie & Lakeshore, and there were several Flexities returning to Leslie Barns, and one of them was using the Pantograph, while all the rest were using the pole.

I guess enough of Queen Street has been retrofitted to allow Pantograph operations for the routes that are using them, to return to Leslie Barns without having to switch back to the pole?

First time I've ever seen a Flexity on this side of the city using a Pantograph.

Pantograph is only used for the 509, 510 and 512 routes running out/in from service via Queen & King to their respective routes

• Thanks 2

Just now, bus_7246 said:

Pantograph is only used for the 509, 510 and 512 routes running out/in from service via Queen, King to their respective routes

Cool, thats what I figured, but I remember a while back that those routes had to switch back to the poles for return to Leslie. How long has this been in place now? I work in the area and it's the first time I've noticed.

Just now, MK78 said:

Cool, thats what I figured, but I remember a while back that those routes had to switch back to the poles for return to Leslie. How long has this been in place now? I work in the area and it's the first time I've noticed.

Since the beginning of the board period just over two weeks ago. 
What I didn’t mention is that Bathurst is part of the routing to enter service for the 509 and 512 since my statement included the 510 Spadina route, which doesn’t get to Bathurst St. As of the January board, the 511 will most likely utilize pantograph operation as well

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, bus_7246 said:

Pantograph is only used for the 509, 510 and 512 routes running out/in from service via Queen & King to their respective routes

I'd have commented that I'd never actually noticed one on King before ... but I spotted a 512 heading eastbound on King East about 30 minutes ago. Perhaps more visible in the daytime, I normally see them in the evening. or perhaps they delayed implementation until this week?

2 hours ago, Cityflyer said:

I was snooping around in the cptdb wiki on this page and noticed besides 4479, there's no Thunder Bay deliveries for over a week. Last month they were coming in approximately 2 units a week and I remember someone posting the last unit 4603 was already finished.

Did they delay the deliveries for the last 10 units plus 4401? We are literally less than 3.5 weeks away from 2020 and Bombardier claims they will have all delivered by 2020.

Elsewhere, it's reported that 4598 has arrived in Toronto (along with 4406), and that 4599 has shipped. If correct, Bombardier has only 4 more left to ship - plus 4401.

Doesn't sound like it will be too difficult to have them all shipped by 2020.

13 minutes ago, nfitz said:

Elsewhere, it's reported that 4598 has arrived in Toronto (along with 4406), and that 4599 has shipped. If correct, Bombardier has only 4 more left to ship - plus 4401.

Doesn't sound like it will be too difficult to have them all shipped by 2020.

If that's true then this board has been missing the delivery dates for 4495-4498 from the list.

1 hour ago, nfitz said:

I'd have commented that I'd never actually noticed one on King before ... but I spotted a 512 heading eastbound on King East about 30 minutes ago. Perhaps more visible in the daytime, I normally see them in the evening. or perhaps they delayed implementation until this week?

Just look at the back of the 509, 510 or 512 cars. All should be entering and leaving service via pantograph, and poles should be down (unless specific instructions from line supervisors state otherwise)

10 minutes ago, Cityflyer said:

Are drivers allow to switch from pole to panto and vice version or does this have to be done by a mechanic at the yard?

Drivers make the change over at the designated location only to/from pole to/from pan. I have seen supervisors make the change over when there has been an issue with the pan.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Cityflyer said:

If that's true then this board has been missing the delivery dates for 4495-4498 from the list.

It's been noted that 4595-4599 have been released from the factory. 4579 arrived by truck (probably due to the CN strike). Things are also a bit crowded up on the CP line near Hillcrest which is limiting the ability to view any cars awaiting offload. There was also a photo recently on Bombardier's Twitter showing 4603 in the factory which would suggest to me that they are confident they will ship that out in time. Otherwise they likely wouldn't have shown it.

I should also note that a railfan friend of mine saw at least one TTC car on a freight train (CN 305) out near Belleville over the weekend (sixth photo in the multi-post). If I squint maybe it's 4404?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, John Oke said:

Maybe 4401 or 4404

If it's a couple of days ago, and with reports of 4406 sited in Maple yard last night, I'd think that would be the most likely. Though perhaps both would be nice ...

I think 4401 was last seen arriving in Thunder Bay from the east for final modification. I don't think it's been through Belleville for months.

53 minutes ago, nfitz said:

If it's a couple of days ago, and with reports of 4406 sited in Maple yard last night, I'd think that would be the most likely. Though perhaps both would be nice ...

I think 4401 was last seen arriving in Thunder Bay from the east for final modification. I don't think it's been through Belleville for months.

I wonder why the truck took highway 7, instead of the 401. Could have taken highway 2 if the speed limit was an issue. 

1 hour ago, Shaun said:

I wonder why the truck took highway 7, instead of the 401. Could have taken highway 2 if the speed limit was an issue. 

Height of the load most likely. At high speeds, and the older two-lane overpasses would’ve spelt chaotic if one of the trucks hit it fast with a streetcar as the load. The decommissioned legacy cars are on a lower, roll-on bed that can allow for them to travel the 401 no problem

4579 out in the yard

4594 been out testing the last few days.

Don't know if 4595 & 96 have been off loaded or when if they were. They aren't tracking at this time.

Down to 10 days to get the remaining cars ship that aren't in transit to be on TTC property by Dec 31 by CP Rail, unless being ship by truck.

1 hour ago, drum118 said:

Down to 10 days to get the remaining cars ship that aren't in transit to be on TTC property by Dec 31 by CP Rail, unless being ship by truck.

Assuming the picture of 4603 Bombardier recently posted is accurate, and that 4401 is behind it in the queue, then they are going to miss by at least two I would think.

20 minutes ago, dowlingm said:

Assuming the picture of 4603 Bombardier recently posted is accurate, and that 4401 is behind it in the queue, then they are going to miss by at least two I would think.

I suspect if they get 4603 on a flatbed before Christmas, then everyone official will quite happily declare "Mission Accomplished" no matter how long it takes to unload it, or add missing parts in Toronto. And really ... close enough. Everyone wants a good news story, with the hints that the TTC is about to sole-source 60 more cars to Bombardier for 2022 to 2024 delivery.

They seem to be on target. Bombardier in Thunder Bay laid off another 174 people last week, bringing the total to 296. Another 120 are scheduled to be let go on December 20, so presumably that is their target.

Technically 4401 would have to be shipped to, but I suspect everyone official will happily point out that it's been on TTC property before - especially