Bombardier/Alstom Flexity Deliveries

7 minutes ago, nfitz said:

This seems bizarre - https://www.cp24.com/news/ttc-pulls-streetcars-from-queen-street-due-to-braking-issue-1.4705125

TTC pulls streetcars from Queen Street due to braking issue

Why would it only effect streetcars on Queen Street?

Going by the very unclear TTC tweets, there was possibly a track issue near Windermere that caused the damage. Then there was a “medical emergency” near Woodbine that lasted like an hour then all of a sudden they said they were busing the whole route. Seems rather strange that the whole route is impacted.  

2 minutes ago, PCC Guy said:

And cue all the braying about how Toronto should just junk all its streetcars...

Yep, the first comment on the CP24 tweet about this is someone praising the new electric buses and how they’re better than streetcars. 

• Haha 4

4591 is heading north on Bathurst St to enter service on 512 after arriving Nov 15

4590 which arrived on Nov 8 has a problem that it was out yesterday doing another test run after being in the service bay a week.

4593 is burn up the tack and was out again all night

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dowlingm said:

Some of it from people who have at least some following in the municipal sphere

Lets see..............25 streetcars replace by 90 buses requires another bus garage, 195 more drivers, about 20 more mechanics, 2 sets of buses for the life span of 1 streetcar, plus X liters of oil and fuel.

Over the life cycle of 1 streetcar, tens of millions are save compare to the buses that are needed to carry the same ridership regardless getting caught up in traffic, break downs etc.

Big mistake not being duel ends with crossovers along the route to allow streetcars to short turn on line if they have to or to get around X area mess.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, drum118 said:

Big mistake not being duel ends with crossovers along the route to allow streetcars to short turn on line if they have to or to get around X area mess.

Considering that the TTC has no qualms about wying cars at intersections to turn them around or diverting them around issues on the lines, I fail to see how a double-ended car would make life substantially better when one also takes into account the loss of usable space for things such as seats.

Dan

53 minutes ago, drum118 said:

4594 is tracking and no idea when it was off loaded

I spotted it at Long Branch last night (Dec. 2) likely doing its burn-in as it was NIS.  There have been a lot of freight trains at Lambton (possibly a ripple effect from the CN strike?) since last week, so it's possible that it arrived and it was obscured by the other trains in the yard.

37 minutes ago, Gil said:

I spotted it at Long Branch last night (Dec. 2) likely doing its burn-in as it was NIS.  There have been a lot of freight trains at Lambton (possibly a ripple effect from the CN strike?) since last week, so it's possible that it arrived and it was obscured by the other trains in the yard.

Most likely off loaded Thursday/Friday and not the first car doing a burn in before tracker turn on.

I didn't see in the yard last week when I was in the area, but could have been hidden from sight then.

Now have to look out for 4595 & 96 that could be here by now. That still leaves 9 more cars to be ship to complete the order. 4579 could be the car coming from Kingston and hang up due to CN strike as well the car from QC. The car from QC could be going to Kingston first like the other ones.

Lambton has been full most the times I been around it when traffic had no issues.

2 hours ago, John Oke said:

If we were to see the options exercised when could we see the first of those?

With Thunder Bay shutting down, I don't think that's even possible. They missed the deadline for any options to be exercised. Maybe it's possible to get them built at Kingston. Any new order would cost TTC a lot more as Bombardier will charge a realistic price.

I think it's probably the best to see if these Flexity performs well after a few years than either buy more or buy from a different vendor.

8 hours ago, John Oke said:

First of all, there is no option for more cars from BBD as it was supposed to happen by car 60 and meeting the 35,000 km failure rate. Car 60 has come and gone years ago and only starting to see close to the 35,000 rate in the last few months. With legal issues and back charges, TTC has kill the option. With BBD failing on all fronts, they kill the option themselves at the end of the day.

Got to full fill Metrolinx and Edmonton orders first before they can start looking at another TTC order. That is supposed to be 2021.

Then the supply chain needs to be updated with a possibility of new supplier, as well getting a time line when parts can be ship to Kingston.

Given the fact the cars will be built in Canada now, a nice price increase per car and how would it compare to another manufacture price??

Not sure what going on with Calgary Green line that BBD is on the short list for bidding on the cars for that line. If BBD does get the order, can they do both Calgary and TTC order at the same time?? Could take 3 years to get all 100 cars. Then, what car is the Ontario Line to see and it most likely be built in Kingston and how will it effect an TTC order??.

The budget meeting for TTC this month may give some indication when a tender could be issues, but wouldn't be surprise if its 2025 at this time with cars showing up close to 2030. Don't see any funds from the Ford Government and don't think the city will be interesting in picking up the 2/3rd cost for an order at this time. Could be looking at close to $800 million for these extra cars.

May wait until 2023 to see who is in power come Oct 2022. Then it could be 2026 if Ford stay in power.

Lots of unknowns and guessing at this time.

16 hours ago, John Oke said:

Way too late for those $3.5 million cars.

They have to do a new tender now (that there was never a board vote on this is shameful).

I think 2024 is the earliest date for a prototype. Current documents talk about ending bus replacements in 2026. I expect that every year's budget will add a year to the timeframe, as it remains unfunded.

Had they taken up the option, when they could, deliveries would have started in early 2020 and been completed in 2021.

With Ford fullying funding the Scarborough subway, TO could take some of that money towards the waterfront east LRT and order more. 

Do they really want to order more of these Flexity if they never really hit 20,000 km MDBF? The new buses certainly do and is seemly a better option for lower ridership routes like the 503.

5 hours ago, Xtrazsteve said:

Do they really want to order more of these Flexity if they never really hit 20,000 km MDBF? The new buses certainly do and is seemly a better option for lower ridership routes like the 503.

I suspect the 502 route might be gone for good now since they have been testing running only the 503 (as a bus) during and then extended after the construction at Queen and Kingston ended. As a regular rider of both of those routes going back two decades, it's basically a bus route in reality with streetcars occasionally substituted. They really should just extend the 503 as a bus to Victoria Park Station and be done with it. The tracks can stay for diversions when the 501 can't run to Neville.