Bombardier/Alstom Flexity Deliveries

23 hours ago, nfitz said:

They shipped 22 cars from Thunder Bay this quarter, and only 2 from Kingston. Only 40 of the 204 cars remain to be shipped (plus the 4401 modifications). 

I think it's a safe bet that there'll be a lot more than just 10 more cars coming from Thunder Bay. At the current rate, they'll be able to ship all the remaining cars from Thunder Bay before Christmas. 

It's a tragedy they aren't building 60 more there to ship in 2020.

I can't remember if Steve Munro said there would be a storage constraint if the 60 units were ordered right after the 204 units are delivered? One of the streetcar yards are still undergoing expansion iirc leading to 504 and 501 blue night operating at 15min frequencies.

1 hour ago, Orion V said:

I can't remember if Steve Munro said there would be a storage constraint if the 60 units were ordered right after the 204 units are delivered? One of the streetcar yards are still undergoing expansion iirc leading to 504 and 501 blue night operating at 15min frequencies.

Given the fact that TTC isn't ordering more cars as plan, there is no need for BBD to order parts for them from various suppliers. If an order was place, it will take 6-12 months to get all the parts being built by suppliers from the day an contract was sign. Somethings can be bought off the shelve easy, but things that have to be fabricated and ship is another story. The supplier production line will play a big part as they will have to find space to fit the new order in and that could not be easy without screwing other productions schedules that could cost them back charge money. Can we say Kingston???

Roncesvalles yard is still under construction that cuts into storage and service bay. Russell has seen some yard work with more to come. Cars can be store at the Ex loop like it has in the past.

Why would anyone keep buying things from a company that fails to build things to spec, late in delivery and fail to meet the failure schedule by car 60??? At 153 cars, the failure rate has yet to get over 20 km compare to contract 35 km. The list of things that BBD has to address on the new fleet keeps getting longer, not shorter like it should.

Then look at the timetable to get welds fix. 4400 was ship Sept 7, 2018 while 4401 was May 18, 2018 and its June 30, 2019 today. 4403 was ship Feb 20, 2019.  Will we see 4403 in July as per BBD schedule??

Finding storage space for the extra 60 cars now will have some issues.

• Like 2

On 6/30/2019 at 2:40 PM, TTC Guy said:

Couldn’t they technically store cars at Hillcrest as well?

You can overnight if there nothing been move in or out, as well layover for cars testing on St Clair. The best I can see off hand is about 6, but could be a few more. If Hillcrest is rebuilt, you can get more cars in it, but not for all 60 cars unless there a full relocation of a number other departments.

Its been known far too long that TTC needs another yard to hold 100 cars, but where is the land for it?? There are a few location out in Mimico, but will have to run on residential streets to get to/from Lake Shore and the yard. Can't you hear the yelling about it????

5 hours ago, drum118 said:

Its been known far too long that TTC needs another yard to hold 100 cars, but where is the land for it?? There are a few location out in Mimico, but will have to run on residential streets to get to/from Lake Shore and the yard. Can't you hear the yelling about it????

If Hillcrest is re-purposed as an active streetcar storage facility, it should hold about 25 cars, which is the full fleet needed for 512 St. Clair.  The existing facilities (provided there is no loss of storage space due to construction etc.) can easily store the extra 60 cars - if they are ever ordered -  with Leslie alone maxing out at around 135-140 cars. So the total available capacity would be around 300 cars with an expanded yard at Hillcrest. That is plenty of space in the medium term.

Frankly, I think one should worry about whether there will ever be another streetcar order in the next decade, rather than debate where to build the next carhouse. As has been pointed out, it is very unfortunate that the 60-car add-on option was not exercised, and I wouldn't be surprised if some of the "temporary" bus substitutions currently in place will become permanent.

4 hours ago, ttc rider said:

If Hillcrest is re-purposed as an active streetcar storage facility, it should hold about 25 cars, which is the full fleet needed for 512 St. Clair.  The existing facilities (provided there is no loss of storage space due to construction etc.) can easily store the extra 60 cars - if they are ever ordered -  with Leslie alone maxing out at around 135-140 cars. So the total available capacity would be around 300 cars with an expanded yard at Hillcrest. That is plenty of space in the medium term.

Frankly, I think one should worry about whether there will ever be another streetcar order in the next decade, rather than debate where to build the next carhouse. As has been pointed out, it is very unfortunate that the 60-car add-on option was not exercised, and I wouldn't be surprised if some of the "temporary" bus substitutions currently in place will become permanent.

The Novas are more reliable than the Flexitys which is sad as they would need a good excuse to buy more expensive vehicles that breaks down more. I find it impossible to support Bombardier anymore as they are coming close to end of the contract and has yet to prove themselves. One can also question how does the TTC cars compare to other systems, especially in Europe? 

On 6/30/2019 at 2:40 PM, TTC Guy said:

Couldn’t they technically store cars at Hillcrest as well?

While there may be some ability to store cars temporarily, I think TTC would want to store enough cars on a long term basis that it could be classified as a division, which would presumably require the assignment of managers/supervisors/dispatchers. Not sure what the tipping point of car numbers is that would justify that appellation.

On 6/30/2019 at 12:31 PM, Orion V said:

Yes, that's interesting. Normally they need 15 cars overnight, and they've added 9 more on 301 and 304. They could increase it another 6 if they did the same on 306 and 310. I suppose you could run all night on all the routes if you wanted to ...

I wonder what that will do to overnight ridership. Ancedotally, I was on a 2:30 AM 504 early on Wednesday for the first time in a while. A couple of years ago I was having a lot of sleep problems, and ended up on 304/504 several times that late, and I was always surprised just how empty the CLRV was compared to the 306 I then changed to at Gerrard/Broadview, or even a 301 if I walked up to Queen.

I was surprised at how many were on the Flexity 504 at 2:30 compared to a couple of years ago - and also how many stops we made. Normally the 306 takes off at Broadview and might only stop 2-3 times between there and Coxwell - but the 504 still stopped at most stops for someone on or off.

So with the relatively recent introduction of overnight 304 service, and more frequent late 504 service, has ridership increased?

Cars 4558 & 59 were released from Thunder Bay on the same train and arrived in Toronto last Thursday.

Car 4559 has won the coin toss and has been delivered to Hillcrest first. It was unloaded this past Friday (July 5) by being towed off of CP's transporter by car 4572 and is now at Leslie.

Car 4558 has been dropped off at Hillcrest last night, so it will likely be unloaded tomorrow (i.e. Monday) morning.

I am being told that car 4560 should be in Toronto on Tuesday.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Car 4558 was unloaded at Hillcrest this morning (i.e. Mon, Jul. 8). Car 4479 was used to tow it off of CP's transporter.

On ‎7‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 6:03 AM, drum118 said:

4555 Has enter service on 501 After arriving On June 12

4555 arrived on June 20. I think you're confusing it with 4554, which indeed arrived on June 12.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ttc rider said:

Car 4558 was unloaded at Hillcrest this morning (i.e. Mon, Jul. 8). Car 4479 was used to tow it off of CP's transporter.

4555 arrived on June 20. I think you're confusing it with 4554, which indeed arrived on June 12.

Hummm!!!...............................I have the same date for both cars and no idea why 4555 is wrong on my list.

4557 is going out for testing again and at the gate.

4556 in the service bay.

• Like 1

4557 and 4556 in the service bay

4543 hasn't been tracking for a number of days and don't know if it still at Hillcrest or The Barns.

Who going to be off load first,,,,,,4560 or 4576??

Kingston still producing a car very month or two with 4575 being off loaded may 27. If Kingston is still going to produce the cars up to 4603 like it was supposed to do, the last car will show up late 2021 at the current rate and Thunder Bay out of work by Nov.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, drum118 said:

Kingston still producing a car very month or two with 4575 being off loaded may 27. If Kingston is still going to produce the cars up to 4603 like it was supposed to do, the last car will show up late 2021 at the current rate and Thunder Bay out of work by Nov.

Considering that no one here - not the least of which is you - knows how many Kingston was "supposed" to build, aren't you being just slightly presumptuous?

Dan

8 hours ago, drum118 said:

4543 hasn't been tracking for a number of days and don't know if it still at Hillcrest or The Barns.

Both 4438 & 4543 remain at Hillcrest for collision repairs. However, the body work on 4543 appears to be complete. The car was powered up in the service bay today.

8 hours ago, drum118 said:

Who going to be off load first,,,,,,4560 or 4576??

Car 4576 was unloaded at Hillcrest this morning (i.e. Thu, Jul 11). Car 4474 was used to tow it off of CP's transporter.

• Like 2

Got a shot of 4556 at Russell on 501 going westbound while shooting the yard of all things that was unplanned.

Track 22 empty with a number of trucks sets on it. Didn't see any ALRV's there nor Roncesvalles yard. None are tracking considering 5 were last week.

8 hours ago, Xtrazsteve said:

4557 is in service on the 510 right now. It's not signed in on next bus but has its destination sign on and carried passenger.

It is back at Leslie now.

Also, car 4543 has returned to Leslie this afternoon, after spending over a month at Hillcrest (it was sent there on June 12).

Car 4438 has been at Hillcrest since April 12, and remains there for now.

• Like 1