Bombardier/Alstom Flexity Deliveries

16 minutes ago, smallspy said:

Forgot about the 21 that were done up to last another 4 or 5 years already?

Since it apparently was 100% a cosmetic overhaul, I'm not sure they will last any much longer than non-'refurbished' cars. Sure it's a nuisance to have leaking windows (did the overhaul even fix that?) and tagged interior, but when they can't go out in cold weather, that's a bigger problem.

5 hours ago, smallspy said:

Forgot about the 21 that were done up to last another 4 or 5 years already?

Dan

Results January 2018's MDBF decreased to 890 kilometres, which continues to be below the target of 6,000 kilometres. Reliability of the ALRV fleet continues to be poor due to the age (+ 35 years) and the condition of the fleet. Inclement weather in January further impacted the reliability of this fleet. Analysis The MDBF from January 2018 decreased marginally from the previous period's (December 2017) reliability figure of 1,177 kilometres. This can be attributed to the continuing poor weather conditions. In these poor conditions, the ALRV experienced significant electrical, pneumatic and sander problems In comparison to January 2017's MDBF of 1,528 kilometres, January 2018's result was also slightly lower. Age, condition of vehicles and more severe weather conditions in 2018 contributed to the decline. Action Plan Minor rebuilds have allowed the ALRVs to continue past their original life cycle. Due to inherent design problems and reliability issues of this vehicle type, the current plan is to accelerate decommissioning of this fleet. The use of these vehicles in limited service will also reduce unreliable service. With the decommissioning of the more problematic vehicles, reduction in service and improving weather condition, staff expect the reliability trend to stabilize.

Results The MDBF for the LFLRV fleet decreased in January 2018 to 14,748 kilometres. The 12-month moving average (12 MMAVG) rate for the MDBF increased from the rate of January 2017 to 11,449 kilometers, below the 35,000 kilometer target. Analysis The new LFLRV fleet continues to experience ‘growing pains’ in terms of design and manufacturing quality that are impacting reliability. Challenges with the passenger information system in January 2018 resulted in a decrease in MKBD when compared to December 2017. Action Plan TTC staff is continuing to work with Bombardier and suppliers to resolve design and quality issues. As vehicle delivery continues and technical production issues are resolved, it is expected that this fleet will continue to improve in reliability. Although new vehicles may be below MDBF targeted, they are 6 to 7 times more reliable than our aging fleet. The TTC and our customers welcome the new vehicles as they arrive.

15 hours ago, Ed T. said:

Since it apparently was 100% a cosmetic overhaul, I'm not sure they will last any much longer than non-'refurbished' cars. Sure it's a nuisance to have leaking windows (did the overhaul even fix that?) and tagged interior, but when they can't go out in cold weather, that's a bigger problem.

There were some mechanical aspects of the overhaul, although yes, the continued inability to operate in very cold weather - even after the work is done - is troubling. But at this point, they still intend to keep those 21 for longer than the rest of them to add peak service on King.

Dan

14 hours ago, drum118 said:

Results January 2018's MDBF decreased to 890 kilometres, which continues to be below the target of 6,000 kilometres. Reliability of the ALRV fleet continues to be poor due to the age (+ 35 years) and the condition of the fleet. Inclement weather in January further impacted the reliability of this fleet. Analysis The MDBF from January 2018 decreased marginally from the previous period's (December 2017) reliability figure of 1,177 kilometres. This can be attributed to the continuing poor weather conditions. In these poor conditions, the ALRV experienced significant electrical, pneumatic and sander problems In comparison to January 2017's MDBF of 1,528 kilometres, January 2018's result was also slightly lower. Age, condition of vehicles and more severe weather conditions in 2018 contributed to the decline. Action Plan Minor rebuilds have allowed the ALRVs to continue past their original life cycle. Due to inherent design problems and reliability issues of this vehicle type, the current plan is to accelerate decommissioning of this fleet. The use of these vehicles in limited service will also reduce unreliable service. With the decommissioning of the more problematic vehicles, reduction in service and improving weather condition, staff expect the reliability trend to stabilize.

Results The MDBF for the LFLRV fleet decreased in January 2018 to 14,748 kilometres. The 12-month moving average (12 MMAVG) rate for the MDBF increased from the rate of January 2017 to 11,449 kilometers, below the 35,000 kilometer target. Analysis The new LFLRV fleet continues to experience ‘growing pains’ in terms of design and manufacturing quality that are impacting reliability. Challenges with the passenger information system in January 2018 resulted in a decrease in MKBD when compared to December 2017. Action Plan TTC staff is continuing to work with Bombardier and suppliers to resolve design and quality issues. As vehicle delivery continues and technical production issues are resolved, it is expected that this fleet will continue to improve in reliability. Although new vehicles may be below MDBF targeted, they are 6 to 7 times more reliable than our aging fleet. The TTC and our customers welcome the new vehicles as they arrive.

You should really use the "quote" button, Dave. Otherwise, people may think that you're capable of posting in a more coherent fashion than you normally do.

Dan

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 3/15/2018 at 12:53 PM, smallspy said:

You should really use the "quote" button, Dave. Otherwise, people may think that you're capable of posting in a more coherent fashion than you normally do.

Dan

I find a lot of his posts informative even if I have to take some time to parse them. They're more informative than posts that say "it's a customized vehicle" when people are wondering why deliveries of our new streetcars are so slow.

anyway...

this one is for everyone who thinks Bombardier is the only supplier who screws up and TTC is the only customer who does :)

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/longer-luas-trams-withdrawn-due-to-fault-in-system-1.3429510

(Alstom Citadis units - the new 53m long ones - withdrawn after being put into service because of battery issues)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Tom1122 said:

I'm guessing 4466 was towed to Hillcrest.

Quite possibly. Maybe @bus_7246 can confirm what happened.

What I can say is that early this morning, both 4418 and 4466 were tracking very close to each other as they made their way from Leslie to Hillcrest. This would be consistent with one being towed by the other. Car 4418 later returned to Leslie on its own. Overall, this was an unusual move to occur on a weekend.

The GPS unit on car 4466 seems to have been subsequently deactivated, since it last reported its position (at Hillcrest) at approx. 9:45 AM this morning.

Any word on 4470?

1 hour ago, ttc rider said:

Car 4467 was in service yesterday on 504 King all day until early evening. Today is its second day of service

You sure, as it was only a dot, not the arrow and was on Queen and Bathurst when I saw it.

2 hours ago, drum118 said:

You sure, as it was only a dot, not the arrow and was on Queen and Bathurst when I saw it.

I am positive. What you're describing happens whenever a vehicle goes off route. Since it was at Queen & Bathurst when you checked, the most likely explanation is that it was short-turning at Wolseley Loop, which is a common short-turn location for 504/514.

2 hours ago, smallspy said:

It should have arrived in Toronto in the past couple of days. No word if it's at the dock yet, but I figure it should arrive there tomorrow at the latest.

Dan

Thank you for the info. Now I am seeing that there is a short post on UT by someone reporting to have spotted a Flexity at Hillcrest yesterday (i.e. Saturday), likely on the flatcar and not offloaded yet, since it was spotted from Dupont. If that report is correct, that car must be 4470.

What would be interesting to know is the status of 4466 and why it was sent up to Hillcrest this morning (and apparently not under its own power), without undergoing any on-street testing since it arrived on Feb. 20.

4 hours ago, Shemar said:

4466 is currently tracking going south on Bathurst Street.

It's not. That is a GPS error since it has been reporting the same location at Bathurst & Dundas for a few hours now - a practical impossibility. That's why these online tracking systems should not be taken as absolute. It is most likely still at Hillcrest.

4 hours ago, jmenard-cc said:

4466 was the one damaged en route if I remember correctly...

That is correct.

4 hours ago, jmenard-cc said:

it could be that the damage was more extensive than they assessed and Bombardier is taking it back for more extensive repairs. 

That is a possibility, especially since it appears 4470 has been offloaded this morning, so there is a flatcar available that can be used to send 4466 back. But this is speculative in the absence of a knowledgeable source to confirm what is happening.

In other news, car 4425 made its way to Hillcrest early this morning and it's been sitting there since about 9 am. If past experience is any indication, I am willing to bet it is going to return this evening to Leslie with car 4470 in tow, probably after the end of the evening rush hour to avoid the worst traffic.