Bombardier/Alstom Flexity Deliveries

OK Folks, I'm starting this thread because in a few days the new streetcars called Flexity Outlooks will start their revenue service on 510 Spadina to make ridership on that route more enjoyable after the tracks were replaced over the past few years.

Here's the list of the Flexitys in general

Bombardier Flexity Outlooks (4400-4603):

Arrived/In Service (9+182+21=204)

4400,4401*4402,4403-4571,4572-4576,4579-4589,4591,4592,4593-4599

Out of service(9):

4401,4403-4408,4471,4478

Alstom Flexity Outlooks (4604-4663):

Arrived/In Service (3):

4604-4606

I've also colour-coded where came out of:

Green-Thunder Bay

Blue-Kingston

Red-Unknown location

*-In storage until further notice

Updated 2023-12-06

If you see any in one of those garages, please post the sightings on this thread, but only once. Any subsequent sighting will have to go on the general sightings thread for the GTA.

EDIT: Only accessible streetcar posts will be allowed in this thread.

Edited by 38 Highland Creek
4604-4663 Are Alstom Flexities

Arrived:

None as of yet.

Aren't 4400 and 4403 arrived? There's lots of photos of their arrival.

Bear in mind this thread includes the Flexity Freedoms for the light rail projects, one of which is under way. That one's the Eglinton Crosstown LRT project which'll open in 2020.

Shouldn't that be a different thread? The first Freedoms will be going to Waterloo. It will be interesting to see if any of the Eglinton Freedoms end up in Waterloo for testing.

OK Folks, I'm starting this thread because in a few days the new streetcars called Flexity Outlooks will start their revenue service on 510 Spadina to make ridership on that route more enjoyable after the tracks were replaced over the past few years.

Here's the list of the Flexitys in general

Bombardier Flexity Outlooks (4400-4603):

Arrived:

None as of yet.

Not arrived:

4400-4603

I've also colour-coded which carhouses they run out of:

Red-Russell

Blue-Roncesvalles

If you see any in one of those garages, please post the sightings on this thread, but only once. Any subsequent sighting will have to go on the general sightings thread for the GTA.

Bear in mind this thread includes the Flexity Freedoms for the light rail projects, one of which is under way. That one's the Eglinton Crosstown LRT project which'll open in 2020.

4400-4403 arrived between 2013-2014. They are just not yet in service

• Like 2

4400-4403 arrived between 2013-2014. They are just not yet in service

4400 and 4403 arrived in 2014. (4400 previously arrived in 2012, but was shipped back to Thunder Bay via Ottawa in 2013 for conversion from a prototype to a production vehicle - I've heard one of the modules was completely replaced).

There are prototypes 4401 and 4402 in Toronto, but they are either going to be replaced or significantly modified by Bombardier.

4400 and 4403 arrived in 2014. (4400 previously arrived in 2012, but was shipped back to Thunder Bay via Ottawa in 2013 for conversion from a prototype to a production vehicle - I've heard one of the modules was completely replaced).

There are prototypes 4401 and 4402 in Toronto, but they are either going to be replaced or significantly modified by Bombardier.

Where's 4403 now?

Only the second modules (the ones with the ramp), not the entire streetcars.

This is what Steven Lam told me during our conversation back in May at the Doors Open event.

ah, okay. Presumably they can still be used to train operators while not accepted? Least Bombardier can do.

• 2 months later...

Might happen sooner. We might see more of them starting early next year.

It's unlikely they'll receive more than 3 more this year; bringing deliveries to date to 5. If they then suddenly ramp up to the full 39 a year, then deliveries would continue until early 2020. Mid 2020 if they can only ramp up to 36.

If the city let's them proceed with the additional 60 cars that TTC has requested then deliveries will continue through late 2021, or early 2022 if they only can do 36.

But what if they can only pull off 24 a year? We're looking at late 2025.

Should be interesting, given by 2016 or so, they'll also having to be churning out around 3 Flexity Freedoms a month for Waterloo and then Eglinton.

It's unlikely they'll receive more than 3 more this year; bringing deliveries to date to 5. If they then suddenly ramp up to the full 39 a year, then deliveries would continue until early 2020. Mid 2020 if they can only ramp up to 36.

If the city let's them proceed with the additional 60 cars that TTC has requested then deliveries will continue through late 2021, or early 2022 if they only can do 36.

But what if they can only pull off 24 a year? We're looking at late 2025.

Should be interesting, given by 2016 or so, they'll also having to be churning out around 3 Flexity Freedoms a month for Waterloo and then Eglinton.

Don't forget that production of the TRs will have ceased by then, freeing up quite a bit of room on the production lines.

Also, if GO stops buying BiLevels, that's even more room on the production line. As it is, the rest of the 60 new cab cars which are supposed to start rolling out of the factory starting in the middle of next year, and in theory they should spend less time on the floor in Thunder Bay as the structure/modules are being built in Sahagún.

Dan

Don't forget that production of the TRs will have ceased by then, freeing up quite a bit of room on the production lines.

Also, if GO stops buying BiLevels, that's even more room on the production line. As it is, the rest of the 60 new cab cars which are supposed to start rolling out of the factory starting in the middle of next year, and in theory they should spend less time on the floor in Thunder Bay as the structure/modules are being built in Sahagún.

Waterloo Flexity deliveries should start in about 18 months. I guess that gives them about a year to deliver 14 units though, so they wouldn't have to ramp up for Eglinton until a bit later. And presumably the 80 TR trainsets will be finished by the end of 2016. So perhaps it will all workout.

I'm still unconvinced that they'll be able to manage anywhere close to 36 TTC cars though in 2015. We are no where close to 3 a month currently. And they'll have to do more than 36 if they want to complete roll-out in 2019.

BTW, someone mentioned in the streetcar thread that TTC tweeted that 4404 is on it's way. I'm not sure having both a thread here, and a thread in the main discussion area is going to work well. There's too much interest. Perhaps just a thread down there would make more sense.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This week he says!

As TTC said 4402 isn't due back until October, then this is surely 4409. Railcar 158091 passed through Schreiber from Thunder Bay this morning - presumably carrying this car. On track for delivery about 6 weeks after 4408.

This week he says!

As TTC said 4402 isn't due back until October, then this is surely 4409. Railcar 158091 passed through Schreiber from Thunder Bay this morning - presumably carrying this car. On track for delivery about 6 weeks after 4408.

he also said "next" elsewhere in the sentence so I guess I transposed the words! I didn't know about the lead time on the preproduction cars once returned... Oh well.