T-Drive Nova Bus RTS-06 WFD

Detroit Diesel 6V92TA

There was never really a "release date" that anyone seems to be aware of, as it was never made available to transit agencies to purchase. It wasn't until Millennium came along that the T-drive version then became an option (if not the only one).

Dan

There was never really a "release date" that anyone seems to be aware of, as it was never made available to transit agencies to purchase. It wasn't until Millennium came along that the T-drive version then became an option (if not the only one).

Dan

Hmm, that's weird. The Wiki said, "In the late 1990's, a T-drive version of the Nova Bus RTS-06 WFD was made available." Maybe nobody bought it though. Thanks for the reply.

Hmm, that's weird. The Wiki said, "In the late 1990's, a T-drive version of the Nova Bus RTS-06 WFD was made available." Maybe nobody bought it though. Thanks for the reply.

It could be that Nova never actually bid with one.

There were also a few GMC and TMC RTS T-drive prototypes.

The GMC ones (three T8J204s built in August 1982, and one T8J605 built November 1984) never made it beyond the prototype stage, although SMART of Detroit did order two TMC RTS II's that were (model T80207) - those were built in 1992 (units 9368-9369).

~Ben

The GMC ones (three T8J204s built in August 1982, and one T8J605 built November 1984) never made it beyond the prototype stage, although SMART of Detroit did order two TMC RTS II's that were (model T80207) - those were built in 1992 (units 9368-9369).

~Ben

Okay thanks! That means there was no Allison B400R on the Nova Bus RTS WFD either. Thanks for the info and reply.

Exactly. The SMART units would've had the HT748 transmission.

~Ben

Great. Like I said before, the Golden Gate Transit wiki had Allison B400R for the transmission of the 1994 Flxibles and 1997 Nova's. It just didn't seem right. I found out the Flxibles had ZF's and I think the Nova's had ZF's as well. Thanks for your help.

Great. Like I said before, the Golden Gate Transit wiki had Allison B400R for the transmission of the 1994 Flxibles and 1997 Nova's. It just didn't seem right. I found out the Flxibles had ZF's and I think the Nova's had ZF's as well. Thanks for your help.

You're welcome.

~Ben

• 1 month later...

The book I wrote on the RTS includes photos of the lone T-drive prototype Nova built while at Altoona for testing. WFD, rooftop CNG, if memory serves. It was the only one built.

NM, found the photos. Sure looks like the 05. A former GM/TMC service rep remembered it being moved to Roswell as part of the TMC buy-out, but that it was later sold to Las Cruces, NM. Sure seems it made it out to Florida, somehow...

The book I wrote on the RTS includes photos of the lone T-drive prototype Nova built while at Altoona for testing. WFD, rooftop CNG, if memory serves. It was the only one built.

NM, found the photos. Sure looks like the 05. A former GM/TMC service rep remembered it being moved to Roswell as part of the TMC buy-out, but that it was later sold to Las Cruces, NM. Sure seems it made it out to Florida, somehow...

Wow, you wrote a book on the RTS? That's awesome! Wow, so only one exists. Thanks a lot for the info.

It wouldn't be the last demo to be sold to a company down here. A lot of demos from other manufacturers seemed to begin and end their lives down here.

~Ben

Is there any info on the powertrain for those 2 RTS-07's? I would assume it had a 6V92TA, but was any information known about what transmission those 2 used?

• 2 weeks later...

You are probably right, as I read in some forum from 1999 that they had Cummins engines instead of 6V92TA's. So Cummins L10 would be the most accurate. Any idea on the transmission though?

Likely either ZF ECOMAT 4HP590 or Voith D863.2T

~Ben

• 2 weeks later...

Is there any info on the powertrain for those 2 RTS-07's? I would assume it had a 6V92TA, but was any information known about what transmission those 2 used?

Yes, it's all in the book. One had a Series 50, the other a Cummins ISC. Trans was a ZF Ecomat for both.

As for demos being sold -- yes, not that uncommon, but it certainly was for prototype units to be sold off. The only way this one was hawked was because it was transferred to TMC during the sale of the RTS line to Dial/Greyhound -- otherwise, GM would have scrapped the things to cover its arse for liability reasons.

And as much as I hate to do this...please help support a starving author...if you like the RTS, I know you'll like this, even if the MTS debacle was only shaping up when it went to print...

http://www.amazon.com/Rapid-Transit-Series-Buses-Enthusiasts/dp/158388209X