nokia_b0y

Post TTC Application (You've made it! Now let's talk!)

Question for the subway ops around here - I was reading some posts on another forum that described the equipment and procedures of subway operation in New York, and I just wanted to know how similar they were to the practices around here? Does the TTC do any of this stuff?

From what I know about New York:

-You get a lot of books (including a rule book) and tools that you have to carry every day in a backpack, said to weigh as much as a small child.

-You can work a maximum of 16 straight hours in one shift, which has been known to occur (how do these guys get any sleep, never mind free time?)

-Third rail jumper cables: much like jump starting a car, but with a train and the third rail. If a train's 3rd rail shoe can't get power from the third rail, you use these to power the train up. One end gets held on the shoe and the other end against the third rail. Once you have it flowing, the train can power up and you slowly move along with it until the shoe reaches the third rail. (Rare outside of training, but still a possibility).

That sounds like a hard core experience :lol:

Most of the tools or equipment are located in various areas of the train or in the tunnels, so we don't need to carry tools, except, Lights, reflective vest and a whistle. I think TTC was thinking of giving subway ops radios for safety reasons. At TTC you can work 16 hours too, and that's not including emergency. Emergency is another thing altogether. That's under the labour law, which you should know, its more than just TTC. TTC doesn't have crews that pay you for 16 hours. You would have to get OT to get up to 16 hours for the day. But as you mentioned you will be tired, and at TTC you need to be fit for duty. And need to maintain some kind of social life.

There's a bunch of thick books from training, and you go through them all. It should be bit easier now cause there's only two types of trains. The TR makes things a lot more easier when it comes to disablements.

The Subway/RT rule book is just like the HTA, but in subways. A legal document, with a ton of rules.

As for losing power we had situation like that a few months ago. Not a big deal, just a rare occurrence. Similar procedure was used when retrieving the train. No work cars used.

Thanks for the info, neat stuff. Do you actually have to have the training and rule books on your person at all times, like in New York?

Also, harking back to the questions I had not too long ago about resetting the trips on the Hawkers vs the TRs - what are the T1s like? Do you also have to remove the trip arm or can you reset it in the cab? And how does the reset work on the TRs - does the train communicate with the signal or something to lift the trip arm?

Does anyone know how much the Sunday premium is? Cause someone told me they dont have it no more, however my friend could be wrong :/ idk...

Does anyone know how much the Sunday premium is? Cause someone told me they dont have it no more, however my friend could be wrong :/ idk...

Time and a 1/4. Still in effect.

In other news. Guess it doesn't really matter where you all get placed now. Master signup confirmed for April....

Edit sorry I just saw you beat me to it Andy.....

I'm saying my goodbyes to queensway now... Lol...

It isn't a rumour anymore came straight from kinnear. Pretty safe to say its happening lol...

Yes, straight from union. I'm sure at least a whole selection will be gone Mess. With s/car should be interesting...I'm hearing ops being forced back into it as still a shortage there. Like when MD opened and many were forced there after 2 years most returned to their original division. MD, Eglinton and Arrow will become even more junior which isn't all bad. Good luck all.

I really hope it wont go through. Im too comfortable in the tunnels to go surface lol

So all those subway hires off the street in the last year are out or what? Still lots on the transfer list so if they all get in then????

any idea how many operators are required to fill the new division?

Not sure if it will be for Leslie barns and Concord. This has to a big expense also. I'm sure they can't let all s/car ops jump ship. They better hire more instructors. Lol. I suspect Concord will be quite senior since for those living north it will be more convenient I suppose.

Apparently the scandal at Wilson has something to do with the master too. I don't know how true that is. Big things happening next year. Danforth is clearing out as well, so thats another thing to look out for.

See you all at Mt Dennis or arrow haha....

I thought Arrow is senior? I guess not

Yes, straight from union. I'm sure at least a whole selection will be gone Mess. With s/car should be interesting...I'm hearing ops being forced back into it as still a shortage there. Like when MD opened and many were forced there after 2 years most returned to their original division. MD, Eglinton and Arrow will become even more junior which isn't all bad. Good luck all.
So all those subway hires off the street in the last year are out or what? Still lots on the transfer list so if they all get in then????

Well the juniors are hoping they fail, which transfers are good at.

Apparently the scandal at Wilson has something to do with the master too. I don't know how true that is. Big things happening next year. Danforth is clearing out as well, so thats another thing to look out for.

I thought Arrow is senior? I guess not

Well the juniors are hoping they fail, which transfers are good at.

Hey Flyer, what did you hear is happening with Danforth next year?