Post TTC Application (You've made it! Now let's talk!)

nokia_b0y

I realized the TTC Application thread was turning into a chat lounge considering many of the applicants are now Operators and still like to visit this forum including myself. Why not continue the thread, let's TALK!

I'll start! Almost done my one year, finishing probation was a load off my shoulder and very excited to have succeeded, with that being said I'm now looking forward to my next new event and that would be the wage bump. It won't be a lot but at least it will cover the pension fees every week.

Malvern is a great place and even though it's senior, the routes and people there are awesome to say the least. The Articulated buses are one of my favorite to drive because they are brand spanking new and they drive so smooth. The turns were initially overwhelming but it's actually easier turning with a longer bus than it would be with a hybrid because the wheels are actually more closer and the end of the bus just follows through easily. Noticing the 7000's are getting more extinct and more hybrids are being replaced which is also great.

New board starts next Sunday, yeeeea

The Sunday morning 320's are dispatched from Wilson/Eglinton as 320 runs.Certainly Wilson can dispatch artics but Eglinton can't. I'm sure they can work it out if they really wanted them on the 320.

The 300's are made up from different routes from divisions. Queensway and Birchmount usually dominate the route with a few from MTD and Eglinton. Artics on this route is just not possible without significantly increase in operating cost.

If and when MTD gets them, i'm sure they can assign some buses to 300.

Any of the new operators get training on the new streetcars, any feedback?

MTD doesn't have many 300 runs, Queensway has more. Couldn't believe people would rather jam on a full 300 at 845am then wait a few mins for the subway to open. Actually didn't see any hybrids this morning on 300 so MTD are back in garage by 530.

I've seen some MTD runs that short turn at Coxwell Station, Greenwood and Main Station to go back west minutes before the subway opened, and some MTD buses heading West in service that go onto rt40 if I remember correctly in the early mornings during the weekday. But i'm sure runs and scheduling has changed since.

I'm not sure about Sunday mornings I haven't been out there on Sunday mornings in over a year now.

All overnight runs are done by 5 in the morning on all days. All the 300's blue night routes are done except the 300/320 as the subway haven't opened. All the runs on the 300 are filled in by Sunday morning runs. The 192 does the 300A as the 300A overlaps most of 192's route. MTD doesn't have a lot of routes near the BD line. The 94 does a few runs on the 300 overnight but you expect the 94 to get artics.

If you want to know what routes are doing the 300/320, you can always look up the nextbus XML schedules or check transsee on Sunday mornings.

Below are the only runs on 300 that Mount Dennis operates for this board period. They change on occasion but it is generally this amount of runs:

Weekdays

94 (51 run) - Deadheads to Warden & Danforth. Does 1 1/2 round trips on 300B. Goes NIS at West Mall.

71 (88 run) - Deadheads to Broadview & Danforth, Does a westbound trip on 300B. Goes NIS at West Mall.

71 (89 run) - Deadheads to Broadview & Danforth, Does a westbound trip on 300B. Goes NIS at West Mall.

32 (87 run) - Deadheads to Pearson Airport. Does a round trip on 300A. Deadheads to Skymark & Explorer and enters service on 32.
- Changes from 307 to 300A at Pearson Airport. Does round trip on 300A. Goes NIS at Pearson Airport.

Saturdays

71 (88 run) - Deadheads to Broadview & Danforth, Does a westbound trip on 300B. Goes NIS at West Mall.

77 (89 run) - Deadheads to Broadview & Danforth, Does a westbound trip on 300B. Goes NIS at West Mall.

Sundays
94 (51 run) - Deadheads to Main & Danforth. Enters service eastbound to Warden. Does 1 round trip on 300A. Goes NIS at Warden.

I've seen some MTD runs that short turn at Coxwell Station, Greenwood and Main Station to go back west minutes before the subway opened, and some MTD buses heading West in service that go onto rt40 if I remember correctly in the early mornings during the weekday. But i'm sure runs and scheduling has changed since.

There are still a couple of runs off of 40, but remember that 40 was moved to Queensway in the last year or so.

Edited by wil9402

Oh yes, totally forgot about that. ^^

All overnight runs are done by 5 in the morning on all days. All the 300's blue night routes are done except the 300/320 as the subway haven't opened. All the runs on the 300 are filled in by Sunday morning runs. The 192 does the 300A as the 300A overlaps most of 192's route. MTD doesn't have a lot of routes near the BD line. The 94 does a few runs on the 300 overnight but you expect the 94 to get artics.

If you want to know what routes are doing the 300/320, you can always look up the nextbus XML schedules or check transsee on Sunday mornings.

Im just speaking in general. I'm sure if TTC really wanted to put artics on 300 they can reschedule some of the runs accordingly with whatever route.

Oh yes, totally forgot about that. ^^

Im just speaking in general. I'm sure if TTC really wanted to put artics on 300 they can reschedule some of the runs accordingly with whatever route.

Yes they can, but that means they need to dispatch separate buses for the 300 in the morning, just like the 320. This would increase wear and tear as well as paying for more deadheading time. Most of the downtown routes can't take artics, so those artics will have to return to the garage at 9am.

Also, the divisions that will have artics are Wilson, Malvern, Arrow and MTD. MTD is considerable as it's mot too far from the route, but the other three divisions that doesn't do the 300 will then have to spend considerable time getting to the route. Unless they're willing to dispatch most of the 300s from MTD, I don't see this working out well.

The 320 is better off as Yonge Street isn't so far away from Wilson. Wilson will have the most artics and would be able to handle the 320.

The cost of putting artics on the 300 just doesn't justify. They can always run more buses on the 300 if they need it by interlining more runs. On Sunday morning, the 300 is made of runs from Queensway (from 15,30,45,49,50,73,76,112,123,192), Birchmount (from 9,20,87) and Eglinton a few 25s and 100s. There are a couple of runs dispatched specially to the 300 from Birchmount. No MTD runs at all.

For any operators reading this, what are your favorite and least favorite vehicle types to operate? For those who have had the opportunity to operate them, what are your thoughts on the 9400 Orion Vs, are they any good?

For any operators reading this, what are your favorite and least favorite vehicle types to operate? For those who have had the opportunity to operate them, what are your thoughts on the 9400 Orion Vs, are they any good?

Yeah I always wondered about the Nova's out of Arrow myself?

Below are the only runs on 300 that Mount Dennis operates for this board period. They change on occasion but it is generally this amount of runs:

Weekdays

32 (87 run) - Deadheads to Pearson Airport. Does a round trip on 300A. Deadheads to Skymark & Explorer and enters service on 32.

This run doesn't deadhead to the airport. It arrives at the airport as the 307.

This run doesn't deadhead to the airport. It arrives at the airport as the 307.

Yeah, I was a bit confused with its timing points, didn't think to check 307. This makes more sense, thanks for the heads up. This runs is out for 24 hours. It enters service on 32A at Skymark & Explorer and stays out for the whole day (last three trips are on 32B, 32C, 32B). It then goes onto 307, does one way trip to Pearson Airport followed by a round trip on 300A where it goes NIS and deadheads back to Mount Dennis.

Waiting for full rate to do OT. Much rather do the same work for bigger pay. That's just me though

I know the two year wait is a killer but when you get to full rate its beautiful! I used to try to get bigger paying crews but who cares now..... just earliest finish crew, SB or vacation board don't worry about what they pay. As well used to work all the holidays to bump up the pay cheque not anymore....

• 2 weeks later...

Well! That was an interesting night I had doing the yonge shuttle bus.

I can honestly say I'm glad I don't drive down there in the downtown all the time lol. But the shuttle was good, the night flew by...no fares and few stops, it was great, every stop had a supervisor or info person to greet you lol

I've been driving for 3 full weeks on my own now, I would say it's going awesome. I find the hardest part is getting in and out of stations...I'm always stressed about what platform and turning the right way into and out of them...with time I'm sure I'll know them all :)

Already doing OT? Probably not but subway closure shuttles are supposed to be signed overtime only. If your a new op or on SB you are not supposed to be assigned that work but since your new and unaware of the rules they take advantage of the situation.

Oh really?

Yeah I'm on spare board, we were covering it for a different division...I think they tried to fill it with overtime but 2 spots were unfilled, maybe that's why?

And no, I wouldn't work ot partly because I'm new but mostly because I have kids and I'm just not interested...I doubt I ever will ...unless of course I have no relief operator or something like that.

Malvern apparently is #1 for shuttles buses, and I see it on spareboard all the time. People eat it up though OT is like easily available. Soon as I get weekends off at full rate I will sign up for shuttles on the weekend, an extra $500 for one days work isn't too shabby!

Yeah I was convering for malvern