Mysterious GMC New Look Found in Hunter's Point, SF

Detroit Diesel 6V92TA

( I am not sure why the pictures are sideways. I would suggest clicking on the thumbnails). On, June 11th, 2014, my mother spotted this mysterious GMC New Look (with an interesting marquee on it) in the Hunter's Point/Naval Yard area of San Francisco. I may go to the area to see it one day. Does anyone know the model by first looks?

photo.JPG

photo-1.JPG

It looks to be a third or fourth gen Fishbowl. That's all I can get from the pic. It looks to be definatly a T6H-5307N for sure

Thanks for the info. I like how the marquee says "Applause." The paint scheme is quite mysterious since this bus has no relation to SF Muni's 1969 T8H-5305A's.

It's definitely a third-gen widebody Fishbowl, model TxH-5305, based on the lack of a drip rail over the teardrop window next to the front door, and the fresh air vent over the rearmost side window. However, I'm unable to be more specific without getting a closer look, especially at the rear end of the bus.

Green Tortoise, that runs long-distance "hippie tours". They were well known for having a TDM4801 into the 1990's that ran a couple of times a year between San Francisco and Boston, equipped with beds.

Yeah this looks like the bus that was seen on wikipedia when you search "Green Tortoise." What happened to the TDM-4801 (Old Look)? I actually saw a modified black Old Look at Ocean Beach one time. Thanks a lot for the info!

It's definitely a third-gen widebody Fishbowl, model TxH-5305, based on the lack of a drip rail over the teardrop window next to the front door, and the fresh air vent over the rearmost side window. However, I'm unable to be more specific without getting a closer look, especially at the rear end of the bus.

Thanks a lot for the info. I might try to find out exactly what street it was on, just to get better pictures. My mother randomly saw it while doing something at work.

I found a few more photos of Green Tortoise buses online, and it looks as if the bus is probably an ex-Seattle T8H-5305, built in 1968, based on the company originally being based in Oregon. Of course, we cannot rule out an ex-SF Muni bus either. ;)

The key visible difference between a 6-cylinder Fishbowl and 8-cylider is that the 6V71-equipped buses have a small flip-up door on the engine door, just above the bumper and next to the license plate. 8V71-equipped buses lack this door, though of course a bus owner could have replaced the engine door at any time.

EDIT: It turns out that SF Muni buses had split rear windows, so the buses in the photos below are almost certainly ex-Seattle buses.

gt29.jpgcy3u_010.jpg

I found a few more photos of Green Tortoise buses online, and it looks as if the bus is probably an ex-Seattle T8H-5305, built in 1968, based on the company originally being based in Oregon. Of course, we cannot rule out an ex-SF Muni bus either. ;)

The key visible difference between a 6-cylinder Fishbowl and 8-cylider is that the 6V71-equipped buses have a small flip-up door on the engine door, just above the bumper and next to the license plate. 8V71-equipped buses lack this door, though of course a bus owner could have replaced the engine door at any time.

gt29.jpgcy3u_010.jpg

That's cool. The only thing I am a little bit confused on is the paint scheme from these pictures, vs. the ones I uploaded. The paint scheme is a tiny bit different for the green color variations. There is also nothing that says Green Tortoise on it. Maybe they changed it up or something.

That's cool. The only thing I am a little bit confused on is the paint scheme from these pictures, vs. the ones I uploaded. The paint scheme is a tiny bit different for the green color variations. There is also nothing that says Green Tortoise on it. Maybe they changed it up or something.

It's likely that these are different vehicles, as the marker lights on the two buses do not match either. The builder's plate GMC T6H-5307N mentions above is the only definitive way to determine the bus model, and it can only be seen by going right up to the front doors of the bus and looking inside, or better yet, being able to climb aboard.

It's likely that these are different vehicles, as the marker lights on the two buses do not match either. The builder's plate GMC T6H-5307N mentions above is the only definitive way to determine the bus model, and it can only be seen by going right up to the front doors of the bus and looking inside, or better yet, being able to climb aboard.

You can get a clear glimpse of it if you crouch down and look through the doors. Of course, like tom said, the best way to get the model is to go inside.

When I discover what streets it is located on, I will check for the model and VIN. That's actually how I found at the exact build dates for SF Muni's Neoplans. They are near the front doors as well.