What do you think about HSR's 9700's (nova)

Hybrid0920

I think they are shakey and some times inbalanced because of the engine on the side. they should've put it at the back. no? Why did they put it at the side?

Most first generation Nova LFSs are shakey. I've ridden one and it was in GRT land, so I can't comment on HSR's Novas, but it was a most uncomfortable ride. Second gen Novas are GREATLY improved and that's why I like Brantford's :( .

Nova put the engine to the side insted of at the back because they come with the option of being 100% lowfloor. This is the same reason for the Orion VIs having the engine on the side, 100% lowfloor with no raised platform. While Nova LFS does come with a raised platform option, it would cost too much for Nova to mass produce two styles of engines ...

I can tell you as I rode it ever since I rode it brand new in 1998, indeed it's going to be a dead bus one day!

I've noticed now all of the LFS rear window are now blackened.

Actually, most of hsr's novas have back warps so you cant see out the back window... almost all oh hsrs busses you cant see out of any window....

Nova put the engine to the side insted of at the back because they come with the option of being 100% lowfloor. This is the same reason for the Orion VIs having the engine on the side, 100% lowfloor with no raised platform. While Nova LFS does come with a raised platform option, it would cost too much for Nova to mass produce two styles of engines ...

IIRC, there is no option of having the 100% low floor configuration. Every late model Nova LFS that I have seen has a raised deck in the rear of the coach.

It is also not Nova who produces the engine, it is the engine supplier, Cummins, in the case of the Nova LFS. Nova would have to reconfigure the engine compartment if they wanted to have a centred engine, which would also include change to the passenger cabin.

Most first generation Nova LFSs are shakey. I've ridden one and it was in GRT land, so I can't comment on HSR's Novas, but it was a most uncomfortable ride. Second gen Novas are GREATLY improved and that's why I like Brantford's :D .

The engine placement doesn't have anything to do with full low floor...you could make a D40LF full low floor by replacing the steps with a ramp. I find HSR Novas ride worse than GRT's old Novas.

The engine placement doesn't have anything to do with full low floor...you could make a D40LF full low floor by replacing the steps with a ramp. I find HSR Novas ride worse than GRT's old Novas.

That was their purpose, full LF space with seats to add on over the rear wheelcover. Since then as many customers falling over their seats, Nova have standard their rear floors with podium from now on about 2 years ago.

• 7 months later...

I've ridden two NovaLFS in the past few weeks that had problems with the wheelchair ramp. One had to actually go 'out of service' because the ramp jammed and the driver couldn't get it back in. Everyone filed out of the bus and into the one that followed. The second one I rode (later that day, sadly) had the same problem, only this time the driver was able to coax it back inside while I toggled the switch.

I've ridden two NovaLFS in the past few weeks that had problems with the wheelchair ramp. One had to actually go 'out of service' because the ramp jammed and the driver couldn't get it back in. Everyone filed out of the bus and into the one that followed. The second one I rode (later that day, sadly) had the same problem, only this time the driver was able to coax it back inside while I toggled the switch.

don't be surprised, the telescopic ramp nova bought from Ricon has been frought with problems from minute 1. they have a screw mechanism that is always jamming, attatches to a rubber belt drive that slips and breaks, powered by a small electric motor that can overheat, corrode and short out. even nova uses a flip out ramp now.

don't be surprised, the telescopic ramp nova bought from Ricon has been frought with problems from minute 1. they have a screw mechanism that is always jamming, attatches to a rubber belt drive that slips and breaks, powered by a small electric motor that can overheat, corrode and short out. even nova uses a flip out ramp now.

Well, Ricon is still making money for Quebec orders today. Some private companies opted the ramp order.

HSR Nova's are the worst buses in the fleet, I'd reckon. Right before the Orion VI. Clunky, old, smelly and somehow incredibly vandal friendly. I doubt they'll be rebuilt. Probably straight to the scrapper some time after/around 2009, since I would assume the HSR would have a ton of New Flyers by then (and will probably rebuild the 96 and 98's).

• 4 weeks later...
There Quebec made trash...what do you expect...

Novas i hate to say are trash.. the engine is so horrible and when i was talking to a driver he said the steering isn't too good..

And in the summer when the A/C is on, water drips from it. I'm very surprised HSR's novas passed the emmisions testing because whenever they accelerate, alls you see is black smoke coming from the exhaust.

This is How I feel about Nova's, 1st Generation..... Which is what HSR has.

After Growing up in Hamilton all my life, till November last year, I got to ride the 1997 Novas for ten years, Yes I HATE THEM, for a ton of reasons, Heres my Top 10:

1. LOUD rattling, try riding these things on the 52 Main West dundas, west of MAC, the roads are terrible and it just rattles the crap out of these buses!

2. They rock when going at high speeds, not as badly as the MCI Classic (85XX's)

3. The seating arrangement, although the seats at the back that face each other are quite neat for having a convo with friems, (IF you can hear them over the engine)

4. LOUD engines! inside the bus, there needs to be more sound proofing around the engine.

5. Steering during the winter on icy or snow covered roads, NASTY! (this one from my best friend that is a HSR driver)

6. Suspension, (I'm not gonna get going on this one!!) IT is BAD and it hurts your back and is just awful!

7. The Ramp, or LACK thereof! if there is no sidewalk FORGET about getting on with a manual or even powered wheelchair! Even when there is a sidewalk, it is difficult!

8. The heating is non-existent, the A/C barely works and leaks water all over the place.

9. The Materiel that the floor is made of, the floor is REALLY slipperly in winter, I HAVE fallen on a few occasions, I have NEVER fallen on ANY other kind of bus.

10. They are Horribly made buses! panels popping off, rattling stancions, rattling windows, Wheelchair ramps breaking constantly and /or jamming, the lights you can push in with a finger (I've done it with the little orange light to the right of the front door), Driver's area is just a really bad design, My adopted Mom gets neck pain from driving these hunks of crap, The doors should NOT be be as far back as they are, remove the "drunk seat" and bring the drivers farther back.

As you can tell, I have a grocery list of hatred causing things about the HSR 1997 NOVA's

• 2 weeks later...

I agree 110% with buschic. Whenever I see a Nova coming down the road, I know that it's not going to be a fun ride. I do live in Dundas and the roads here are bumpy which do make the Novas rattle like crazy! It's very loud, almost ear hurting loud rattling on certain bumps. When it's not the bumps, it's the engine noise. She's right in that it's very hard to have a conversation in that bus. They all seem to lack cleanliness/are very dirty with a bunch of graffiti and other nastys, especially in the rear. Oh and those rear facing seats are an ergonomic/personal comfort zone nightmare! Overall, my least favourite, most dreaded bus.

The doors should NOT be be as far back as they are, remove the "drunk seat" and bring the drivers farther back.

:P Drunk seat!!! :lol

I often find that only one of the four seats in the 'conversation area' seats near the rear of the bus gets sit in unless the bus is crushloaded. People seem unconfortable sitting in the rear-facing seats. That and there really isn't much leg room for the seats that face each other.

:P Drunk seat!!! :lol

I often find that only one of the four seats in the 'conversation area' seats near the rear of the bus gets sit in unless the bus is crushloaded. People seem unconfortable sitting in the rear-facing seats. That and there really isn't much leg room for the seats that face each other.

As much as I like the LFS, the only thing that keeps me from liking it 100% is the rear facing seats! Same goes for the A330. The Invero, VII, VI, and dreaded D40LF outshine the format two in this aspect.

I'd rather sit backwards on a bus than sit forwards with absolutely no leg room or in an awkard position because of the wheel well.

And facing a stranger? It's no different than having to sit across from somebody where the seats face each other, such as the wheelchair positions on any lowfloor.

My two cents. I absolutely don't mind the rear facing seats.

I'd rather sit backwards on a bus than sit forwards with absolutely no leg room or in an awkard position because of the wheel well.

And facing a stranger? It's no different than having to sit across from somebody where the seats face each other, such as the wheelchair positions on any lowfloor.

My two cents. I absolutely don't mind the rear facing seats.

It's not the facing of the strangers that I don't like, it's actually the legroom(or more specifically, the footroom). I guess I should of made that clearer. For me at least, I just can't seem to be able to get comfortable without accidentally stepping or hitting someone's foot. It doesn't help that(at least for the seats on the left side) you can't put your feet back under the seats because the wheelwell is in the way on the rear facing seats and there's something else that's under the seats on the front facing seats.