O-Train - Service Increase and new Alstom Lint trains

sseguin

What is the current interval for service on the new trains? I know it should be every 10-12 minutes but what are people actually getting? Unfortunate that it isn't greatly improved over the Talent service of 15 minutes.

They're very close to every ten minutes now, I kept track for a couple of hours a few weeks back. The issue is when a VIA train passes, that can add 5 minutes. The reduction to every ten minutes reduces the wait at the ends to less than 6 minutes.

Personally I would of double track it from Bayview to the present by pass(Carling station), then double track it just after the Rideau Bridge all the way to Greenboro.

But here's the catch, they want to expand the O train to Letruim or somewhere in that area, if there going to keep that "8 mins"(which I dought they can) there having issues presently they way it is now. There going to need more trains and they only have 8(6 new ones & 2 older ones, the 3rd is finished.

I wouldn't say the third is finished. It was likely too expensive to repair considering they already had the new trains, but it would probably be cheaper to repair that train than to buy a new one.

I wouldn't say the third is finished. It was likely too expensive to repair considering they already had the new trains, but it would probably be cheaper to repair that train than to buy a new one.

It most certainly isn't finished. All three of the Talent's will be rebuilt in the near future - I think CAD in Montreal won the tender - and will they then be placed into storage until such a time as they are needed.

Dan

Well if the city goes ahead with the expansion to Letrium area and wants to maintane that 8 min schedule, then its going to take more then for trains to keep it as to how many I don'tknow.

I just reviewed an OC Transpo staff report to the Transit Commission from 2012, and they stated that they would require 7 trains to operate between Bayview and Bowesville. Although at the time of that report (which was prior to the approval of the updated Transportation Master Plan in 2013 by City Council), I don't believe they factored in the Airport spur line that is presently in the proposal.

This is the 2012 report: http://ottawa.ca/calendar/ottawa/citycouncil/tc/2012/02-29/06%20-%20ACS2012-ICS-TRA-0003%20O-Train%20Expansion%20Study.htm

It most certainly isn't finished. All three of the Talent's will be rebuilt in the near future - I think CAD in Montreal won the tender - and will they then be placed into storage until such a time as they are needed.

Dan

This is interesting. I hadn't heard that the refurbishment was tendered, though I knew it was always an option. The only thing that was really public was that they were being stored.

I just reviewed an OC Transpo staff report to the Transit Commission from 2012, and they stated that they would require 7 trains to operate between Bayview and Bowesville. Although at the time of that report (which was prior to the approval of the updated Transportation Master Plan in 2013 by City Council), I don't believe they factored in the Airport spur line that is presently in the proposal.

This is the 2012 report: http://ottawa.ca/calendar/ottawa/citycouncil/tc/2012/02-29/06%20-%20ACS2012-ICS-TRA-0003%20O-Train%20Expansion%20Study.htm

7 trains is a nice number because it's possible with the current fleet of trains, with 2 spares. Any more than 7 and new trains would need to be purchased.

If they ever decide to run both the LINTs and Talents, they'll need to re-add the platform extenders which lined up with the three-door arrangement, or line an entire section of the platform to facilitate both two- and three-door trains.

The platform extenders would be easy to add as the old mounts still exist on the platforms. The Talents would need to have bridge plates added though, like the LINTS have.

Does this mean the Talent train that was involved in the derailment last year is not actually a write off? At the time the media indicated that it was.

I believe that media reported it would be out of service as it made no sense to repair it with new trains coming on line in just a few months. I don't ever recall reading that it was a complete write-off.

• 7 months later...

Has anyone on here ridden either the old or new O Train *and* the UPX trains? Just wondering how the ride experience is with the different DMU types.

I don't know what you're looking for exactly. They're different, although neither is what I would consider unpleasant.

Dan

I don't know what you're looking for exactly. They're different, although neither is what I would consider unpleasant.

Dan

perception of build quality, ride quality, that sort of thing. Things non enthusiast passengers might find notable for good or bad reasons.

perception of build quality, ride quality, that sort of thing. Things non enthusiast passengers might find notable for good or bad reasons.

Again, neither is unpleasant - ride quality is comparable to a modern LRT/streetcar in the Lint, and is very decent in the UPX. It is obvious that the UPX is spec'd towards a particular calibre for the passenger, whereas the Lints are set up for a transit-friendly setup, being much more open and with plenty of room for standees.

Dan

Has anyone on here ridden either the old or new O Train *and* the UPX trains? Just wondering how the ride experience is with the different DMU types.

That is a strange question.

There is a world between UPX rider's experience and SMART rider's experience, albeit in the same type of DMU.

15966024246_7c577f38e7_k_zpsy40we9ba.jpg

17333437541_9f9a7c8f24_k_zpss0mo5vbc.jpg

Beyond the vehicle interior details (choice of seats, legroom, bike rack vs luggage rack, area of working surface, lighting, floor finish, seating, material, passenger info system, ease of access to station, possiblilty of intermodality, etc.), user experience also rely on the quality of the infrastructure (welded rail vs tied rails, concrete vs wooden ties, speed and acceleration of the convoy, general smoothness of the ride, etc.) or the operator (schedule, fares, information systems, customer service, schedule conflicts, etc.).

Thus, comparing OC Transpo's Coradias with Metrolinx' Sharyos is like comparing apples to oranges.

Anyways, I have ridden a good load of EMUs and DMUs in Europe, including diesel-powered Bombardier Talent (old O-Train). They offer a good experience, IMHO :P

When the Silverliner 5 electric MUs appeared in PHL, despite nominally filling the same role as the Silverliners it was replacing, there was a lot of dissatisfaction about build quality issues. It seems based on comments above that the three DMUs types are all well made for the roles they are filling.

When the Silverliner 5 electric MUs appeared in PHL, despite nominally filling the same role as the Silverliners it was replacing, there was a lot of dissatisfaction about build quality issues. It seems based on comments above that the three DMUs types are all well made for the roles they are filling.

A not inconsequential amount of the "dissatisfaction" with the Rotem cars as they were entering service seemed to be rooted in the fact that they weren't built by a "traditional" North American railroad company, verging onto outright racism. Since then, I can't say that I've heard much negative about them, save for the incessant hue-and-cry about the loss of the "railfan window" - and even there, SEPTA is taking steps to improve that.

Dan

When Irish Rail got the 22000 class from Rotem, the post delivery personnel from Korea stuck around in their Heuston shop for a *long* time. I guess the different between Rotem and say Ansaldo Breda is that the Rotem product eventually works, although I'm not sure that's even still true in Boston, where "non traditional manufacturer" Kawasaki's product gets a lot more love than "Brokems"

When Irish Rail got the 22000 class from Rotem, the post delivery personnel from Korea stuck around in their Heuston shop for a *long* time. I guess the different between Rotem and say Ansaldo Breda is that the Rotem product eventually works, although I'm not sure that's even still true in Boston, where "non traditional manufacturer" Kawasaki's product gets a lot more love than "Brokems"

What's this got to do with Ottawa?